Please forgive if this has been addressed elsewhere, but we are running Running BES 4.2, ... General Blackberry forum

reesemachine no está en línea Stack level 2

BES and Outlook Rules

Advertisement

Please forgive if this has been addressed elsewhere, but we are running Running BES 4.2, and, to my knowledge, end users who have Outlook Rules on Exchange to direct an incoming email message to a subfolder in their Personal PST folder not receive the message on their BlackBerry handheld.

That said, several executive end users have advised that they received these messages on their handheld without issue prior to recent patches on our BES.

In every prior instance where I have assisted end users, their Outlook Rule to the PST does not send the message to the handheld. There is likely something simple I am missing...

Anyone have a suggestion? OR....is it a "live with it" scenario where I just need to confirm Outlook Rules directing messages to the PST will not be received on the handheld.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Re: BES and Outlook Rules

Hi Reesemachine -

You can do a few things, but the rules in general can just cause a total mess. The server-side rules are supposed to win out before the BES gets them, but if there's a lag and the BES sees the messages, it can go into redirection. If you were really bored and are the type of person that really enjoys lengthy workarounds you could even create a server-side rule which would basically mirror the inbound message to a folder that falls under the Inbox tree (remember, the BES can't work with things/see things outside the inbox tree, which is the trouble with the users rule to move to a PST)... you could then have a rule that deletes off the folder with the mirrored messages daily (the copy in the PST would of course stay). You would then have an orphaned message on the device (and probably about half your server's processor time sapped), so you'd have to set the device to win.

It's odd though that you had users saying they were getting redirections of their messages in the PST's before the patch. Could they maybe have had them in subfolders in the inbox tree and thought they were PST's? Have these users gone through any migration of their Outlook clients or boxes to where they'd have reconfigured them?

You can do tons of stuff with rules, but they can also wreak havoc. Are the users having issues with space in their boxes or something along those lines? Just wondering the reason for using the PST's... We tell people not to use them. It saves a lot of headache if someone loses a laptop or runs over it with an SUV or something equally devastating. All comes down to how much space you've got on your server, though I guess.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by reesemachine
    Anyone have a suggestion? OR....is it a "live with it" scenario where I just need to confirm Outlook Rules directing messages to the PST will not be received on the handheld.
    Things might have changes with 4.2 but I'd recommend operating under the assumption that BES can't do anything with items moved to a PST. I'm betting that it's likely that there's some quirk with the rules that allowed BES to forward the email before the rule moved the email to the PST. As PWDiamond says, the server-side (it's possible that those execs have accidentally created client-side rules) rules should always prevail over BES but rules can be tricky/quirky at times.

PST's are a necesary evil in many environments as space on the server isn't infinite. The newer releases of Exchange make it easier to avoid going the PST route but we definitely have users that have waaay to much email for us to allow them to store it in their malboxes.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-27-2007 at 12:54 PM.

reesemachine no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks PwDiamond and Takeshi. Both replies greatly appreciated.

In every instance I've ran into previously, the rules directing to PST and not an inbox-tree subfolder have failed to route the message to the BlackBerry. But, they were adamant it worked before with their rule configuration.

Reviewed with impacted users, and they've agreed they will remove those rules on messages they require to view on their handheld.

Thanks again!!!

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

No problem, sorry there wasn't a simpler answer (there may be one, I just might not know it ). I'm actually playing around with some rules right now on a user's box where I think I'm going to have trouble similar to yours. She is an executive with two seperate exchange boxes on different domains but on the same server for sister companies, and has a POP3 box on the company she was an owner of and sold but kept her email address as part of the deal. For a while I had her using two profiles on her Outlook client because the new IT guy with the firm that purchased hers couldn't figure out what to do or something along those lines and kept moving her from server to server using POP.

So what I've done is set up her main Exchange box on the Outlook client, and used IMAP to link to her other Exchange box, and had the new admin who was handling her box at the sold-off company simply forward her messages to the IMAP'ed address (the businesses were very closely related and she's going to transition out of using the old forwarded address to only using the main box and the IMAP'ed box), and I've set a rule in the IMAP box to move her messages that come in to that old e-mail address to a subfolder. I haven't tried this yet, because I'm scared I'm going to inadvertantly majorly screw things up, but I wonder if anyone has experience with or tried redirecting to two boxes on the same server?

I had thought about mirroring the messages into the main box in subfolders, but I'm already running three client-side rules and three server-side for her. She's also very "Tech-ed out", as she was a small company with no IT support, and didn't even have SP2 on any of the machines... and in the past two months I've thrown a laptop running Vista and Office 2007, a BlackBerry, Groove, OneNote, SharePoint, IP Telephony, our CRM, and probably a few other things at her. She's a little frazzled... so any suggestions on getting this to work properly without much disruption or change in procedure for her would be great. Her calender, contacts, etc., are all off the main box (I did it that way because that box is the one I attached the BB to).

I'll prob have to throw this in a new thread, but I got started typing and here it is