Ok I think I need a little clarification on what exactly the BES see's and ... General Blackberry forum

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3

BES and network traffic?

Advertisement

Ok I think I need a little clarification on what exactly the BES see's and does not see when it comes to blackberry data usage. I understand that all email traffic is of course carried through the BES. This is nothing more than a relay system consisting of your phone sending data cellularly to your provider, the provider sending data to RIM's servers, and then RIM ultimately sending it back to your BES for integration in your work environment, and the whole process goes in reverse for outbound data from the BES.

This would lead me to believe that internet surfing on the blackberry is simply carried out through your cellular provider and nothing else, yet I have seen many people refer to the BES handling ALL network traffic, which would seem to create some severe overhead.

Am I correct to assume that non BES related data transfer, such as SMS texting and internet surfing from the phone is really just a handshake between you and your cell phone provider, and the BES is only used for push email/OTA application installations (when issued from the BES)?

aflansburg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2469F3D5
    I think I read somewhere that if you use "Blackberry Browser" then it goes through BES/MDS and if you use "Internet Browser" on the handheld then it is handled through BIS (or the handshake you spoke of).
    - berrythemes . com -

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Actually the BES can track all traffic to the device, depending on the version of the BES you are on, If the device is on a BES it is totaly at the Mercy of the BES Admin. they can remotly disable anything they choose, Browser, camera, phne service, and and even totaly wipe the device.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

berry-buster no está en línea BES Pro
    Not to mention, Log / Read SMS Messages from the BES...

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    pda is correct! We have websence enabled to track sites in general off the blackberry

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by berry-buster View Post
    Not to mention, Log / Read SMS Messages from the BES...

Aye, true, I forgot to spell that out. I am not on our BES for that reason, I bought my device. and Some of the Convos I have are a little privet LOL
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")