Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ The benefit of wifi would be for users who are, for example, ... General Blackberry forum

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

Re: benefits of Wi-Fi

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The benefit of wifi would be for users who are, for example, in underground floors of a campus building or in the middle of a concrete building and getting no cell coverage but when there is wifi around you would remain connected

ehadden no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B84624

That is a good point, but I don't know many wifi spots underground?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Plenty of them on college campuses, like he mentioned. The academic buildings on a lot of universities have repeaters throughout the buildings to allow access.

Seems like a Niche market to me.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

c1chrisc1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6B92F

Uhh just for faster surfing. and maybe stable connection for I'm programs. It would be nice if I we could share files like music and photos and play them in the media player.

c1chrisc1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6B92F

Or what about those business users that go around the world and don't get good reception. Or don't wanna get charged for roaming. If there hotel or whereever they are had wifi then they could have access to whatever they need.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Looking at this from a corporate view. The only real problem would be access with a VPN. What's going to tie that wireless connection from xyz's service provider to a users' BES. There's gotta be some kinda authentication that would allow corporate traffic for emails and such. Its like a users' work laptop, when they are not plugged into their work network, they most likely get in through come kinda SSL tunnel. That would have to be on the BB as well.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

That's even assuming that BB push email would be possible via WiFi. I haven't seen anyone confirm this so far. There's a lot of speculation as to what is and isn't possible at the moment.

FernandoCepeda no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    205B2C28

i know im new, and i prolly shouldnt figth you on this, but, Why isnt it posible for the BB to push mail the usual way, in the background and when available use the wifi just to surf the net? Why does one have to interfere with the other?
    When im using my pearl as a modem, it still receibes bbm's, mails, calls, sms> Sure it temporarily disconects me, but it conects again solo. In fact, the computer doesnt say its disconected, it just stop loading the page, wait a couple of secs, hit reload and done. Then u read ur bbm or pin, or mail while its loads up.
    Why cant they work at the same time?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

BB's must have access to the BB APN and this is done via the carrier -- not the internet. Receiving email while tethered and receiving email via WiFi are totally different situtations. In the first case, you're still accessing all data via the same connection. The second method involves two totally different wireless technologies.

Again, we'll have to wait and see what is and what isn't possible. There's already enough rampant speculation as it is e.g. that TMO would get the 8820 first. Clearly, a lot of the speculation is totally baseless.

seabirdone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DE5001

I got BB primarily for fast anywhere instant email and business applications.End of conversation.

ski837547 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    BB's must have access to the BB APN and this is done via the carrier -- not the internet. Receiving email while tethered and receiving email via WiFi are totally different situtations. In the first case, you're still accessing all data via the same connection. The second method involves two totally different wireless technologies.

Again, we'll have to wait and see what is and what isn't possible. There's already enough rampant speculation as it is e.g. that TMO would get the 8820 first. Clearly, a lot of the speculation is totally baseless.
    According the RIM's 8820 website, Blackberry data services are available via wi-fi:
    http://www.blackberry8800series.co.u...tures/wifi.jsp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12