Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone please explain what the big deal is about Wi-Fi on a blackberry. Doesn't ... General Blackberry forum

ehadden no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B84624

benefits of Wi-Fi

Advertisement

Can someone please explain what the big deal is about Wi-Fi on a blackberry. Doesn't that defeat the purpose off push email. You would have to wait to hit hot spots to check email. Is this just a Canadian thing with those hight data rates, or is it just people in the US that want to have it just do they can go to the local Wi-fi spot and look important!

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: benefits of Wi-Fi

Well, for me if I were in a hotspot you could surf the web much faster than usual. Yes, push mail most likely won't work but if you could keep your data connection at the same time mail would still go through. This probably isn't possible though.

I've never gone to a hotsjop to look important, its usually to get some work done or relax with a drink and stay connected.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

seabirdone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DE5001

it costs me $20 a month for instantemail.I think it is well worth it!! Don't want to go hunting around!
    Last edited by seabirdone; 07-13-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

We really don't know how WiFi will be implements on a BB yet as no BB has it. My giess is that it work for surfing and not email. Also I doubt that you willseee any reall big speed increas because the BB doesn't have the horsepower or screen real estate to do it quickly and most web sites are not optimized for mobile users. The othe rquestion is how will it handle password protected sites such as home netowrk that is locked down?

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

it never occurred to me that my mail wouldn't push over wi-fi. is that true? why? what's the 'magic' in edge (or gprs) that can handle a push whereas wi-fi can't? i guess i never thought much about the technology behind the pushing email. i can't think why it wouldn't work over wi-fi. any smart mofo's here up to the the task of explaining?

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

from what i here even with the wi-fi on the edge will still be running in the backround. and it wont intturupt you getting emails. the benefits are endless with the wi-fi. i specially at the airport, at home, and at your local starbucks. lol. i cant wait for it to come out.

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

Wifi = faster (free) surfing, also VPN capabilites.

PIN/ID
    32B84624

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~The push email is always on, but with wifi you are not constantly in a hot spot. When you get to a hot spot your email will get pushed. Kinda defeates the purpose of the blackberry. You can have the data service also and use wifi, but I don't think it will be that much faster. Maybe for you gsm folks. I don't think it will be 3g speed. I don't know, just don't understand the hype. Just go out and buy a pda with a browser and wifi capabilities. You can pull your email still. Blackberry is designed for push email, plain and simple. Just Wifi will not do the trick.

PIN/ID
    32B84624

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Better think of security also!

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by ehadden
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~The push email is always on, but with wifi you are not constantly in a hot spot. When you get to a hot spot your email will get pushed.
    right. but my question(s) would be: are there any technological barriers to getting e-mail pushed over wi-fi? let's say you park your butt at a starbucks for the long haul and hit their wi-fi. your e-mail would get pushed, right? it's not like your bb would say, 'sorry, i can't get e-mail over wi-fi. please leave this hi-speed zone and go sit in a park so i can get your e-mail over edge.' is it?

btw, i don't really see any benefit to getting e-mail over wi-fi, unless you're getting 5mb powerpoint presentations.

PIN/ID
    32B84624

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~You are correct. If you are someone that is parked at say a starbucks all day then yea your email would push, but I would say don't get a blackberry just use your laptop. My thing is that most blackberry business users have this great device to be able to acess email and such on the go, not parked at a wifi hot spot all day. RIM needs to spend more time and money on developing better PIM applications and viewers for their devices. RIM is getting away from the business user and gearing towards the tiny boper that has a blackberry so they can send 500 text messages a day, and look at emails from friends. Don't get me wrong that is fine, but not what most business users need. Consumer market is soring right now for RIM that is great but it worries me also!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by ehadden
    Can someone please explain what the big deal is about Wi-Fi on a blackberry. Doesn't that defeat the purpose off push email.
    Nope. How does high speed web browsing via WiFi defeat the purpose of push email? It's also possible that WiFi on a BB will enable VOIP and UMA. Neither of those defeats the purpose of push email either.

Quote Originally Posted by shmengie
    right. but my question(s) would be: are there any technological barriers to getting e-mail pushed over wi-fi?
    You need access to RIM's network and that's done via the Blackberry APN via your carrier. Each wireless carrier that offers Blackberry service maintains a connection with RIM for this purpose. I doubt that RIM has gatways open to the wide internet to allow BB's to connect via WiFi. People seem to always forget that the BB is basically a frontend device. Without BIS and/or BES a Blackberry has very limited capabilities.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-13-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Are you talking about a unit that is Wi-Fi only or one that is cellular and wi-fi capable?

If you are talking about a wi-fi only unit the only reason I can think of would be cost and security. The company could issue wi-fi only BB's to every employee that needed one and not have to pay for cellular access for each employee. They could also lock it down so that it would only access the network at work to keep everything secure.

If you are talking about a combo unit then the wi-fi could be used for both data and VOIP services. It would also allow you to use the unit and (theoretically) maitain all the features of being on the cellular network when there isn't one available but there is a wi-fi network there (such as travelling overseas with no international package).

Zo

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Wifi is of no use to me. There are no free hotspots around and while I have wifi at home, I also have a laptop.

Sounds like more of a feature that sounds cool than one that will greatly improve the BB experience.

But that's just my opinion...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Different people have different needs. Some apparently have a need/want or think that they do. I personally can't see any benefit but I have excellent coverage from my carrier at home. Others that don't could potentially bridge the coverage gap with UMA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast