Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Board the helicopter to go offshore or back to the mainland?... General Blackberry forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Advertisement

Board the helicopter to go offshore or back to the mainland?

newfie29 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Boarded the helicopter to go offshore where I am now, for 20 hours in hotel in China it worked fine.

Okay, so regardless of whether there are entries in your HRT or not, if you do NOT have mobile service, you will NOT get e-mails or BBMs or anything else that requires the use of the BlackBerry Internet Service.

I think this would be the same regardless of what platform you're on......iPhone, Android or BlackBerry. Those services require a DATA plan which generally goes over a mobile carrier's network, NOT WiFi.

I have a DATA plan, it has worked in the past over the wifi, there are other people here with same phones that work perfectly fine, all iphones work great. the only reason i got the bb was for the bbm, so i guess its time for a switch to something thats gonna work all the time...

I know you have a data plan.

But you're saying that other people with BlackBerrys out in the middle of the ocean were able to receive e-mails, BBMs, etc? That's not possible (on a BlackBerry) without a mobile network connection.

I'm not saying you should choose one device over another (I'm on an iPhone, by the way), but it sounds like a different platform may be the way to go.

It is very possible, I did it the last time I was here, and NO you dont always need mobile connection for your bbms and emails to be pushed to your blackberry. I had this problem before when i turned it on in China, then i figured if I leave it off from the time I leave Toronto until I get to my drilling rig, it works on the wifi. This trip I had to use my phone while in Chine, so I added the roaming plan from bell so i wouldnt have to pay the outrageous roaming charges, and what happens, I lost my routing tables when it registers.

Well, I don't know what else to tell you. In most cases, especially on a BlackBerry, you need to be on a mobile carrier network for the BIS to work 100%. If you were lucky enough to get e-mails and BBMs over Wifi, then that's great.

Bottom line here is that you won't get your HRT back until you register on the network again.

Ok, well thanks for your help Roger....

I didn't help much, but no problem.

KTW Guest
    I take it you've never dropped it...that only leaves software to blame. Try a factory reset.

But if the worst comes to the worst...Id consider getting a new phone...what else can you do?

but speaking of networks...did you get the phone in the US? if so it could answer the question. you need a GSM device running between 900 and 1800 MHZ frequencies. If you got it from the US it only runs on 900 MHZ frequencies. But I won't confuse you on that. Just see if it runs on GSM frequencies, if not it answers your question of why. (you can do this on www.gsmarena.com)

Did any of this help ?
    Last edited by KTW; 11-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Junmil no está en línea Stack level 1
    BBM will work only if you have a Blackberry data plan. you nedd to use a carrier that supports BIS use and get a Blackberry data plan from them, then do the things Roger has advaiced you to do.
    Blackberry unlocking - to unlock Blackberry phones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12