Hi All I recently purchased a new 8130 from Verizon as a new after 2 ... General Blackberry forum

Maxima00 no está en línea Stack level 1

Being forced to turn in my BB...say it ain't so!

Advertisement

Hi All

I recently purchased a new 8130 from Verizon as a new after 2 upgrade. Love it. Finally something that works and looks great. Received my first bill and found the BB data plan for $45, in addition to my calling plan/text. I was unaware that you are required to have a BB data plan through Verizon. I have no use for e-mail/internet access on my phone; just wanted an affordable, good phone that was not another piece of verizon crap marketed to 13 year old girls. The BB does an awsome job as a phone (great reception, call clarity, options) but this does not justify nearly $100/month for service, most of which I will never use. There is no other Verizon phone that interests me whatsoever, so my question is: Do all of the service providers require BB data plans? If you can find me one that doesn't I will switch right away and remain a very happy BB user.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Being forced to turn in my BB...say it ain't so!

They all push the data plans but they are not required if you know who to speak to. I do know that T-Mobile does not require it (rebates will not apply to the device if you don't have it). Cingular pushes to have it and requires it to get the best discount and rebates but not if you are willing to pay a little more for the device. Not sure about Sprint. I have been told it can be removed from a Verizon plan but it requires a lot of pushing on the comsumer's part with customer care.

Now for the downside without data. On Cingular you will be unable to send or recieve MMS on some of the devices (people have said the curve will without data but not the pearl). Some applications will not work at all (mapping for example) without data. The big thing is to figure out what features you will actually need and which ones you won't.

Zo

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Have you tried talking to Verizon and see if the data plan is required? They may be able to remove it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ineedspeed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24270d4c

T-Mobile does not require you to have a data plan. They do add a free feature on to your account called "Blackberry enabler" which allows the devices to receive MMS messages. They also have a basic email plan for 9.99 and regular BIS plan for 19.99. BES runs 29.99. If you are out of contract with Verizon and have decent Tmobile coverage in your area I would get them ASAP before they raise their prices.

pezcookie no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    207d528a

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~return the phone reset your contract with them come to tmobile the only thing you can't do with the enabler (other than web and email) is ims but there's enough programs that are out there to work around that you don't have to have data but if you do its a lot cheaper

nihado no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243F2CAA

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    They all push the data plans but they are not required if you know who to speak to. I do know that T-Mobile does not require it (rebates will not apply to the device if you don't have it). Cingular pushes to have it and requires it to get the best discount and rebates but not if you are willing to pay a little more for the device. Not sure about Sprint. I have been told it can be removed from a Verizon plan but it requires a lot of pushing on the comsumer's part with customer care.

Now for the downside without data. On Cingular you will be unable to send or recieve MMS on some of the devices (people have said the curve will without data but not the pearl). Some applications will not work at all (mapping for example) without data. The big thing is to figure out what features you will actually need and which ones you won't.

Zo

I just recently got the pearl and i have a unlimited text/picture messaging and it didnt require a data plan to send mms. But i got the data plan anyways only $20 bucks more
    N i H a D

Maxima00 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks to everyone for their quick replys/suggestions!

I am not quite sure what I will do yet. I am frustrated with the situation and really can't afford 100 bucks a month. However, Verizon has had amazing service in my area and their Pearl, in my opinion, is a much nicer package that T-Mobile's.

Verizon, I guess, offers a $29.99 Data plan for the BB, in addition to the $39.99 for voice I guess isn't TOO unreasonable (for what you get). Only silver lining is I get 20% Verizon (and only Verizon) through work. Assuming they will let me switch to it.

I just really wish there had been SOME mention of this when buying/activating the phone. And I hate being forced/cornered into making a particular decision. Thiose kinds of things that really put a bad taste in your mouth.

Thanks everyone!

vsp1140 no está en línea Stack level 2

This has been a long debated issue. YOU CANNOT GET A BLACKBERRY FROM VERIZON WITHOUT A DATA PLAN. You can get a "Data Block" on the phone, but you will not be able to receive SMS/MMS messages. The BIS plan from verizon is $29.99, sounds like they automatically signed you up for the BES plan at $44.99. There is a cheaper plan for $20 (I believe , but its only limited to 10megs of data, which has get very costly if you are not careful), Blackberrys are designed to be used to incorporate email and internet, Some companies just charge a little less a month for the data plan thats all. Best of luck.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

You CAN get SMS without having data.

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Also, I have a friend that I talked into buy the Curve on Tmo. They were not going to give him the discounts unless he added the BB data plan. What he did was to allow them to put it on in the store and then go home and remove it by logging into his account online.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

if you look at your contract if you signed 1 most carriers require you to add a BB data plan in order to get a discount on new phones if i was you i would stay with verizon and far away from t-mobile

vsp1140 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    You CAN get SMS without having data.
    If you have a DATA BLOCK on your account through verizon, you CANNOT get sms.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Oh I misread your statement. Sorry. I missed the part about the Data blocking.

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Alltel is the same way, you are required to have a data plan. Now like some of you mentioned if you push hard enough and get some strings pulled maybe you can get a bb without the plan. Then you can get the SMS as an add-on since it doesn't require the data plan. We saw that as evidence during the "blackout" when everyone was able to text message while the system was down. Hope you get everything straightened out, I know Blackberry stand out above the rest .

rogerswireless no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by zjfarmer View Post
    Also, I have a friend that I talked into buy the Curve on Tmo. They were not going to give him the discounts unless he added the BB data plan. What he did was to allow them to put it on in the store and then go home and remove it by logging into his account online.
    I'm from Canada, so I'm not sure how US Carriers do it, but here if you are purchasing a BB and receiving the discount by getting a data plan, it's usually a 3yr term on the data as well ($100 to cancel=$100 discount on the phone). So that wouldn't work up here.

However, for the original poster's problem, just call customer relations. Not regular customer service, but customer relations/retentions. Tell them that you were not informed in-store that a data plan was required. Pretty much just don't lose your cool and they'd be happy to help you. It's simply a dealer error seeing as they neglected to inform you of the stipulations.