Is it ok to use a Blackberry in a hospital? will it cause all the ... General Blackberry forum

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

BBs in hospitals

Advertisement

Is it ok to use a Blackberry in a hospital? will it cause all the instruments to wig out?

Kriv no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    251239B6

Re: BBs in hospitals

No
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

It's still debatable, but this most recent study says it's OK:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2007-rst/3958.html

Snopes says it's OK and has some links to other incidents and reports:
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/hospital.asp

Overall, I would say it's probably a matter of hospital policy and politeness. If you're worried about the technical part of it, shut off your wireless connections, then it's just a normal PDA.

It's kinda like the cell phone at a gas station or on an airplane. Even though there's a very small chance of doing anything, they may just decide to make it a policy "just in case".
    Last edited by BenMarvin; 09-26-2007 at 07:39 PM.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Last time I spent some time in a hospital, I was amused to see the "no cellphone" signs all over -- but several doctors ignoring the signs, muttering that they only did that to keep the noise level down.These docs were all using cellphones, and as far as I could tell, they weren't causing fibrillations in the ER or alien halos on peoples' CAT scans.

I'm going to be spending time in the hospital. I was worried that the "radio" or whatever its called might interfere with stuff because it does interfere with my laptop at times... and also my clock radio.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

Here's the real scoop.

Unfortunately I've dealt with several people who have had major serious issues and thus I've spent way too much time in hospitals all over the East Coast from the Mass General in Boston to Thomas Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia to many smaller hospitals all over.

Larger hospitals that continually upgrade their equipment have no issues because they have already replaced all the old equipment that did have interference from cellphones and Blackberries. The smaller hospitals that either haven't replaced the equipment or use hand-me-down equipment still have issues with interference.

daytondb no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241BDB4A

I work at a hospital and I use mine all the time. Patients use them all the time too. I work at a big hospital though so what bartokbatt typed could be true.

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Arrow Re: BBs in hospitals

So does the use of a BlackBerry fall in the category> cell phones, becuz most hospitals have signs saying to not use cell phones! Dunno, I'd ask the staff at the hospital!

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

If they do still have "no cell phone" signs, it is usually only in areas like the ICU, surgery, or telemetry floors (where the cardiac patients wear the small monitors for their heart). Everywhere else it should be OK. I work in a hospital and have mine with me all the time with no problems. As someone else said, the docs all have them too. It messed with the old equipment some but technology has improved upon that.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information.