NOTE: This is NOT a time zone or DST question. You can google thousands of ... General Blackberry forum

quantsuff no está en línea Stack level 1

BB time drifts from Network Time

Advertisement

NOTE: This is NOT a time zone or DST question. You can google thousands of answers to those.

Actual question: When set to use Network Time, my Blackberry drifts several minutes off the correct time over a period of weeks. A coworker's with the identical model and carrier, similar Exchange email load, etc, drifts too, but at a different rate.

Yes, I can manually sync with the correct Network time (go to Options, Date/Time, hit the menu button, select "Update Time"), but I shouldn't have to.

As an IT person, I use network time servers all the time. Wireless carriers send time signals. "Options, Date/Time" shows both times. Why the heck isn't there a way to keep them in sync?

The phone was issued to me by my employer, uses Verizon in the U.S., uses our company's BES to get Exchange email, and is less than 6 months old. The direction of drift is in the "faster" direction, fwiw.

I've seen this question before, but never a satisfactory answer. Is there something I'm missing about wireless devices/networks? I look forward to an answer, or a referral to another resource.

Thanks!

Followup:

Found three KB docs at blackberry.com.

---Tells actual difference between Blackberry and Network time.
    Hm. I thought "Blackberry Time" was just the device's internal clock:
    Doc ID : KB11859 http://preview.tinyurl.com/5rbecd says, in part,

BlackBerry - Synchronizes the time with the Research In Motion® BlackBerry Infrastructure and not the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Network - Synchronizes the time with your service provider's network time.

---Tells how to set it so it permanently syncs with Network Time. Doesn't make much sense, but I'll try it:
    Doc ID : KB12324 http://preview.tinyurl.com/5bef23

--Pretty worthless - how to manually sync:
    Doc ID : KB10004 http://preview.tinyurl.com/57yfou

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Welcome to the Stacks!
    I had the same issue w/Curve for a while...I just set mine like this:Options>Date/Time>Date/Time Source:BlackBerry Eventually, my provider caught up. (Just FYI: If you update your profile/device info, you will get a better responce...it helps to know OS, etc, before we can truly help you.)

Second Followup - experimental results: Checking both "Network" and "Blackberry" time's accuracy over time.

Result: "Blackberry" was a little more reliable, stayed within 35 sec of correct NTP time over 30+days.

These times are checks against our corporate NTP servers, which are backed by both GPS and atomic clocks in our local network.

Data points for checking drift:

----date/timesource was set to "network"

10:45 AM 7/14/2008 [blackberry was] 49 sec behind NTP

11:53 AM 7/16/2008 44 sec behind NTP

----Followed directions in my 07-10-2008 post to set to "Blackberry" time, saved changes

11:56 AM 7/16/2008 22 sec behind NTP

14:54 PM 7/21/2008 4 sec behind NTP

12:00 PM 7/22/2008 4 sec behind NTP

10:03 AM 7/24/2008 2 sec ahead of NTP

11:00 AM 7/28/2008 matches NTP

8:35 AM 8/20/2008 36 sec ahead of ntp

9:21 AM 8/20/2008 did "update time"

9:22 AM 8/20/2008 matches NTP