Since there are a few airlines which are a few months away from implementing the ... General Blackberry forum

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3

Smile BB service on Airplanes

Advertisement

Since there are a few airlines which are a few months away from implementing the new system which allows you to use your mobiles during flights, I was wondering if anyone from RIM or elsewhere knows if we will be able to access our BIS or BES service while roaming on airplanes.

slater no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c95540

Re: BB service on Airplanes

Hmm not sure. But I remember when they announced this about 2 years ago except they said it would be implemented in early 2009 but I'm sure BIS will work or it would be pointess for buisness people rly. Although I'm sure the data fees will be off the charts.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I dont know about other airlines, but Emirates made a press release 3-4 months back and said they would have it rolled out on some of their routes by the end of the 1st quarter this year.

I guess if I have an unlimited worldwide data plan, it probably wont be covered up there....... still crossing my fingers
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 01-05-2008 at 05:37 PM.

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3
    I remember reading that it was only the WiFi BBs that would work (like mine).

rammerjammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    wilsticu

WiFi Blackberries and laptops.
    Yellowhammer

Lightbulb Re: BB service on Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    WiFi Blackberries and laptops.

We are talking about the capability to use mobile phones; data & phone calls on planes.

We are not discussing wifi internet which is already available on some airlines.

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Oops.

azmoto no está en línea Stack level 2

If you use cruise ships as an example for VZW, then only voice would go through. Data uses our EVDO technology versus 1x for voice. The phones would need a PRL update before leaving and if it works the same, the airline would not turn on their repeaters (or whatever technology) until the plane was completely out of the cellular service elevation. The analog being that cruise ships turn theirs on when they are about 7 miles out to sea. Calls would be dropped in this transition during both takeoff and landing. If anyone has used their blackberry in a roaming area before they know that the data features dont always work.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

^^ i have always wondered about that.

i took a cruise this past june ... although only off the coast of cali and baja mex (prolly not even 7 miles) i could use my blackberry FULLY (which i was very surprised about). granted, i was roaming on a couple of different mexican cell providers, but it worked like a charm.

slater no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c95540

I have sprint and almost always when I'm roaming me data network works. I travel a lot for work and iv never been anywhere without data so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't end up anywhere that I can't get it.also I'm sure that carriers will make a plan availible for people who travel a lot that charges a flat rate for the fees. That's if they can work a deal with certain airlines. For example if sprint worked a deal with delta more sprint users would fly delta etc... Well see in time

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~