We have this great, fun feature of PTT but how often do you really get ... General Blackberry forum

kauainurse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    none

Lightbulb BB PTT phonebook

Advertisement

We have this great, fun feature of PTT but how often do you really get to use it? I would like to see a registered BB user list. Advanced Search criteria from occupation, state, age, gender etc. That way people can network together a lot more, have more fun with there PTT feature and of course they must give pre-authorization to disclose there PTT access #. How about it, anybody else game for this? The person I want to add as a friend/network, could then accept or decline at anytime, cuz we all no people get weird after a while and arent what they seem.

Comments?

Aloha!

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: BB PTT phonebook

I can understand PTT in some specific - work related - situation. Construction, Transportation, and many other businesses benefit and have good reason to be using PTT.

However, using PTT for personal chats in public places - buses, restaurants, etc. - is just plain RUDE, INCONSIDERATE, and OBNOXIOUS! My vote would be for requiring a license for PTT!
    JerryD

aaronnieves no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305F72EB

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    I can understand PTT in some specific - work related - situation. Construction, Transportation, and many other businesses benefit and have good reason to be using PTT.

However, using PTT for personal chats in public places - buses, restaurants, etc. - is just plain RUDE, INCONSIDERATE, and OBNOXIOUS! My vote would be for requiring a license for PTT!
    here here

StarMile no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm not a fan of PTT myself, hate hearing it in public places. I can see where it has it's value in industry where fleets of drivers are in the field, etc., but in public it flat out sucks.

This is just an AT&T feature right? Never seen anything about it with my 8320...

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A

I agree...PTT is onlyuseful when you need to ask a brief question in the work environment (tech, construction, etc...) It makes sense because it's efficient on battery, and if you are going to be on "hold" for 3-5 minutes and just need a final result, there's no need to waste battery power/air time. HOWEVER, and this is my biggest complaint...why do all the Nextel idiots use PTT, just because they think it's cool? (ATT has a PTT but it's software based, where Nextel/Sprint have a dedicated iDEN network for it) And from the perspective of someone who has had Nextel WITH push to talk, you can use it on the headset just like a regular phone...but no, you have these 15-25 year olds on the subway. Great. :insert sarcasm: SO, as a final word...I agree with the comment that PTT should be allowed with a license (to parse out all the idiots) AND with a proper justification.

smda1407 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

PTT is great. Stop Whining.. NEXTEL 7520 4life

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313

Thumbs down Re: BB PTT phonebook

Quote Originally Posted by StarMile View Post
    I'm not a fan of PTT myself, hate hearing it in public places. I can see where it has it's value in industry where fleets of drivers are in the field, etc., but in public it flat out sucks.

This is just an AT&T feature right? Never seen anything about it with my 8320...
    Wrong! Several companies have their own version of PTT. I am using a 7100i activated on the Telus Mike network. Mine is primarily for contacting my 200+ drivers and managers. It also comes in handy for keeping in touch with my kids when I or they are on the road. It saves a fortune on long distance.

Other than that, I wouldn't want to be getting "MIKED" in public at all times, by many folks. The 7100i and most other PTT phones do allow you turn off the external speaker and talk as you would on a normal phone, save for the need to push the side button to speak.

As most people do, I prefer the good old phone or sms/pin messages!!

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313

Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    ... SO, as a final word...I agree with the comment that PTT should be allowed with a license (to parse out all the idiots) AND with a proper justification.
    At this I am chuckling. We require licenses for people to drive. As far as I can tell, this hasn't parsed out all the idiots with cars!!

Beyond business (read my previous comment) there are few other necessity based uses for the feature.

cjcarbone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    not anym

People actually use the PTT??? i deleted all the PTT programs right out of my OS as soon as i got it,

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec

I second that i think its the matter of the need of PTT is depending on the user
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcarbone View Post
    People actually use the PTT??? i deleted all the PTT programs right out of my OS as soon as i got it,
    RedCurv07

kauainurse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    none

Boy, never knew this would be such a heated topic! Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.

Aloha!

crackberryist no está en línea Stack level 3

What is PTT?
    WHY USE DRUGS IF YOU GOT A CRACKBERRY
    UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE I'M THE ONLY "ACTIVE" STACKER IN TURKEY

firemanferch no está en línea Stack level 2

i have PTT and i love it although i always have it on private mode because i also think its rude to have that thing blasting in public. plus i dont want everyone listening to my conversations. the nice thing is it really cuts down on mins. PTT = Push To Talk