Can I use my BB's GPS on a flight to check my location. If so, ... General Blackberry forum

badabing no está en línea Stack level 1

BB pearl inflight

Advertisement

Can I use my BB's GPS on a flight to check my location. If so, which program???

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: BB pearl inflight

I'm not positive, but I believe that that would require that the data/radio need to be turned on, don't the airlines still make you shut it off while in flight. I think you can just use things like the media player and games in flight. If some one knows more, please share, I'm always up for being proven wrong if it means learning something new!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

MrCmonster no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

You could probably use bbTracker (www.bbtracker.org) since it doesn't use data. However, it does not have maps, so not as much fun as watching your plane zoom along on google maps. . But at least you could see your speed, altitude, etc. There is a program called gMaps that is supposed to let you download maps ahead of time so you don't need a data connection to view them, but I haven't used it, so I can't say much about it.

Azstar, great philosophy: "I'm always up for being proven wrong if it means learning something new!"

jacktt no está en línea Stack level 1

As mentioned above, any tracking program should work as they do not use data. If you need maps - "Spot for BlackBerry" can use on-device maps: skylab-mobilesystems.com/en/products/spot.html

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Thanks for the info. Have either of you tried this in flight either with a tracker or with preloaded maps? It would be interesting to try but how much memory do the maps take up on the BB? I have a cross country flight coming up and am wondering just how much detail I could get or would I basically need just an undetailed view of the whole country to view as I crossed? Just curious........~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

banthon no está en línea Stack level 3

As far as I know there are no applications for the BlackBerry which are coming with preloaded maps so they do not need data connection for showing GPS location in a map.

I used MobileTracker in a plane. Mobile Tracker stores waypoints in a KMZ file. This one can be imported later on a PC into google earth.