I got my very first blackberry on Saturday - Verizon 8830. I am liking it ... General Blackberry forum

Medley no está en línea Stack level 1

Question BB Newbie needing help with memory problem

Advertisement

I got my very first blackberry on Saturday - Verizon 8830.

I am liking it very much except for the frustrating bits while I try to figure out how to make it do what I need it to do.

Today, my IT staff turned on access to Outlook/Exchange for me. I seem to be getting those messages.

However, I *stopped* receiving SMS messages. I googled around a bit, and saw that might be a memory problem.

So I checked in status and it says: "File Free 0 Bytes" and "File Total 47841280 Bytes." That 0 Bytes is probably bad, right?

So, I googled around some more for ideas on how to free up memory - although after only two days I have no idea how I could have used up so much memory that it stops keeping SMS messages... which is why I assume it may have had something to do with the syncing up with Outlook today - and tried a bunch of tricks - cleared the browser cache, set to keep only for 30 days (messages and appointments), and so on.

I've only installed a few applications (gmail, google maps, twitterberry, googletalk, berry411) and I haven't downloaded any themes or background images or anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here or what the big sync with Exchange and my Outlook information might have done to mess things up?

Any help would be much appreciated.. I'm sure I'll have many more newbie questions in the next little while..

Thanks,

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: BB Newbie needing help with memory problem

The SMS issue is most likely an IT Policy that was put on by the company preventing them.

Medley no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub
    The SMS issue is most likely an IT Policy that was put on by the company preventing them.
    No, no. It's nothing like that. SMS is back for me now -- I've learned that there's a huge memory leak with this little device. It's discussed elsewhere on this forum.

I will give them a week or two to roll out a fix, but I may consider returning/exchanging the 8830 for an older version. Having to reset the foolish thing due to a memory leak every couple of days seems absurd.

Flidus no está en línea Stack level 2

check if you have a bunch of programs running. hit the bottom left button (I think it is the shift button) and hold the back button. This will show you what programs you have not closed. Make sure you hit the blackberry button and select close when exiting programs and not the red exit call button.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Flidus; 06-26-2007 at 10:19 PM.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

possibly this could be if use, it's for the pearl, but you get the idea
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...sms_mms_e.html

check it out
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!