Background: I recently inherited the title of "BlackBerry Guy" within my company, despite zero involvement ... General Blackberry forum

bobotron no está en línea Stack level 1

BB message retention and too many folders?

Advertisement

Background: I recently inherited the title of "BlackBerry Guy" within my company, despite zero involvement in the implementation of BES or the subsequent BlackBerry rollout. We're using BES 4.1.4.15 with Lotus Notes/Domino 6.5.

I've been deploying BlackBerry 8130s with very few problems for the past month. Suddenly, one of our users noticed that his message retention cut down to just two days -- about 12 messages total. I figured it was a space issue, but he had about 8 meg free on the phone. After researching and scratching my head for a while, I decided to wipe the device, remove him from BES, and re-add/activate him.

This resulted in confusing and better, if not satisfactory results. Upon activation, I noticed that his messages go back to March 27th (162 messages), with a single message from February 13th, with nothing in between. Status says there's about 16 meg free.

He has many (350+) contacts on the device, but that doesn't seem to be a factor size-wise.

The only other thing that makes me wonder is his LARGE number of folders that he has created in his inbox. Fully expanded, the list of folders and subfolders scrolls page after page after page, etc.

Could an abundance of mail folders cause problems with message retention?

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide!

-bob

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Quote Originally Posted by bobotron View Post
    Background: I recently inherited the title of "BlackBerry Guy" within my company, despite zero involvement in the implementation of BES or the subsequent BlackBerry rollout. We're using BES 4.1.4.15 with Lotus Notes/Domino 6.5.

I've been deploying BlackBerry 8130s with very few problems for the past month. Suddenly, one of our users noticed that his message retention cut down to just two days -- about 12 messages total. I figured it was a space issue, but he had about 8 meg free on the phone. After researching and scratching my head for a while, I decided to wipe the device, remove him from BES, and re-add/activate him.

This resulted in confusing and better, if not satisfactory results. Upon activation, I noticed that his messages go back to March 27th (162 messages), with a single message from February 13th, with nothing in between. Status says there's about 16 meg free.

He has many (350+) contacts on the device, but that doesn't seem to be a factor size-wise.

The only other thing that makes me wonder is his LARGE number of folders that he has created in his inbox. Fully expanded, the list of folders and subfolders scrolls page after page after page, etc.

Could an abundance of mail folders cause problems with message retention?

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide!

-bob

ok lets take a look at this step by step. first do you have the device on hand right now? do me a favor go to

options->status

then on this screen press the menu key and click on database sizes. what is the total size? anything over 100k please post.

I don't have it in front of me. I remember his available memory being about 16 megs. BES reports that he has 15387 Kb Available Memory.

I'll have to get to his office to get the database sizes.
    Last edited by bobotron; 04-02-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Database Sizes
    Total Size: 993.7 K

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    have you tried going to the messages folder

then menu->general options

then set "keep messages" to the length you desire

It's set to 30 days.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    ok since you think it could be all those folders. have him do a COMPLETE outlook backup. after that then tell him to delete all the folders except the inbox. try testing that for a few days and see if it corrects the issue, if not then have him reload the backup and he will get all his folders back.

pedro1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Did you find a solution to this issue? We are having the *identical* issue on an 8130 -- and the user also has a large number of folders under her inbox.