I've been trying to install the latest version. It installs completely and when I try ... General Blackberry forum

AgentMissa no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    310986F5

BB Desktop Software not installing

Advertisement

I've been trying to install the latest version. It installs completely and when I try to open it I get the messege:

application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
    process ID=0X580(1408), thread ID=0x8c0(2240)
    Click OK to terminate the application.
    Click CANCEL to debug the application.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Have you tried uninstalling the software completely, rebooting your PC then installing from scratch? There may be a problem installing over a previous version.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I agree with dush...
    Uninstall all BB Desktop from your pC, including cache ( (last pop-up screen in uninstallment process).
    Restart PC and install new Desktop.
    Important: don't plug in your phone until all is done. And when you do, give your PC time to dl drivers, before opening Desktop.
    Good luck.

PIN/ID
    310986F5
    I uninstalled it. When I tried to install it it said it couldn't find the .msi file..

I don't get it.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    OK that's different. You're dl from Blackberry site and it sometimes happens that the whole file isn't fully downloaded or is corrupted.
    Happened to me a few times.
    Make sure you download it again, but follow the dl and don't let your PC "sleep" or go into screensaver. Keep it active .
    I HOPE IT WORKS.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    The Download can often be corrupted by your computer going into sleep mode, or depending on what type of connection you have to the internet, the download could be interrupted. These days with DSL or Cable it does not happen so often, but you will find that there are times of the day when the internet is busier than others, basically everyone has come home from work/school and opened up their computers, causing a surge, similar to surges on the electricity grid when everyone comes home and puts the kettle on So as Del says watch the download, if it is going slow, try again later. Also make sure that you delete the old one, don't download and overwrite the old file, download to a new location.

PIN/ID
    310986F5
    I tried late last night and this morning.. without the .msi file it doesn't wanna uninstall or install. I uninstalled it manually. This is driving me nuts.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Missa, there's a link in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature with instructions on how to do a "clean" uninstall of DM. Give that a whirl and see if it helps.

It's a little dated, but the theory is the same.

Here is another more updated reference you can use.

I just updated the link in my blog with the more current guide.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Missa, I did a search on your problems and it seems a lot of people are having the same issue. It does appear to be a problem with the windows installer, which means that Roger's answer will very likely fix it, the biggest issue will be ensuring that that you completely remove the original install. Be very careful when performing the registry edit, it is a good idea to back the file up prior to doing any edit. I use a program called CCLeaner whcih works very well for keeping the registry working well. You can find it here http://www.piriform.com

PIN/ID
    310986F5
    I tried Roger's (which is awsome) and it's still not finding the .msi file. I'll try the CCleaner next. Let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help.