Hi, Having received an iPhone as a gift I will be selling my 8800 and ... General Blackberry forum

Dawgfan no está en línea Stack level 2

BB Advice on Prepping for Sale

Advertisement

Hi,
    Having received an iPhone as a gift I will be selling my 8800 and I must say I am going to miss it quite a bit but just could not resist the temptation of a free iPhone!!

Anyways, I am pretty sure I am going to sell the 8800 and want to make sure that I do what is necessary to ensure that whoever buys it can just walk in (or call) and activate it. It is an ATT phone and I think I would most likely sell it to someone on that network so I assume it does not have to be unlocked.

I am familiar with what I need to do to wipe the BB clean and get what I need off of it but I just wanted to check here and make sure I am doing what I need to do regarding the phone itself related to service.

Thanks.

TC

Re: BB Advice on Prepping for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan
    Hi,
    Having received an iPhone as a gift I will be selling my 8800 and I must say I am going to miss it quite a bit but just could not resist the temptation of a free iPhone!!

Anyways, I am pretty sure I am going to sell the 8800 and want to make sure that I do what is necessary to ensure that whoever buys it can just walk in (or call) and activate it. It is an ATT phone and I think I would most likely sell it to someone on that network so I assume it does not have to be unlocked.

I am familiar with what I need to do to wipe the BB clean and get what I need off of it but I just wanted to check here and make sure I am doing what I need to do regarding the phone itself related to service.

Thanks.

TC
    What I would do is wipe it (as you stated), then double-check a few things:

1. Make sure there's still no personal info on the device in areas not affected by the wipe. For example, if you made a Plazmic theme with personal pictures etc. on it, the wipe would leave it on your handheld, and it needs to be deleted manually.

2. Remove the password and IT policy (if applicable)

3. Load all application software. Run the Application Loader on your Desktop Manager and load any applications that you may have erased, including languages. Example: I never use "Tasks", and I just use my BB as a Phone and PIM device (no data plan), so I deleted "Help", "Browser", "Tasks" and all the extra languages, saving a ton of memory. But I would make sure all these prgs are re-loaded into the device before sale.

One last comment: Unlocking a phone is purty easy, so don't be afraid to sell it to any GSM user that might want to buy it. AT&T phones (especially BBs, because vendor themes are only 'hidden') can be unlocked and used on any GSM network with little effort.

Thank you.
    I kept things pretty simple with the phone but admit it only has English. I did not remove any applications and only added a few, which I will most likely remove so they can set it up how they please. It sounds like I don't have to contact ATT and do anything with the phone other than ensuring it is "cleaned" up well prior to the sale.

The phone was for personal use so there is no IT policy/password

Thank you. I think your comments prepared me well for selling it and addressing any concerns.

It sounds like I don't have to contact ATT and do anything with the phone other than ensuring it is "cleaned" up well prior to the sale.
    Yep -- That's the cool thing about GSM phones, is all you gotta do is swap SIM cards and then maybe an unlock.
    Thank you.
    You're welcome!

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

i'd do the unlock anyway. unlocked phones always sell for higher prices, and as long as you've been with your service provider for a while (longer than 6 mos) they'll help you unlock it, just tell them you're moving out of their coverage area, even though you aren't. it wont affect your account or anything.
    The above commentary is for entertainment purposes only. If this was actual joke the tone you just heard would have been followed by emergency response information. It's supposed to be fun people.

I just saw someone ask if a phone was deactivated. Does this require any action from me or did my 8800 become deactivated when I activated my new iPhone on that specific phone #?

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

i think it just referrs to whether the phone is registered to an active account. cant be sure though. i'd call your providers tech support and see if it's something you should do... you can ask that question while you're unlocking it
    The above commentary is for entertainment purposes only. If this was actual joke the tone you just heard would have been followed by emergency response information. It's supposed to be fun people.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Be sure to release you pin if you have emails setup with BIS.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    Be sure to release you pin if you have emails setup with BIS.

Very (VERY) good point.
    How do I go about doing this?

PIN/ID
    312C4157

Maybe by logging in to your BIS account and removing the accounts, but I'd check with your provider just to make sure. If you don't release your pin whoever gets your BB next won't be able to set up their pushed emails.

I am going to log in now and see if I can remove the emails AND the handset.

When I try to login to the BIS, it states that my account has been suspended. What I will do is call ATT and ensure that the PIN is released and that the phone can be activated immediately by the purchaser and have all BB services available right when they get the phone.

PIN/ID
    312C4157

Sounds like a plan, I don't think we can get a pin released ourselves, we need the provider to do it.