hello, i was sitting in class today and my professor, for management information systems, was ... General Blackberry forum

sstone66 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    40196CF2

Question barcode readers

Advertisement

hello,
    i was sitting in class today and my professor, for management information systems, was talking about new tech in phones. he gave an example of a barcode reader being included on phones coming out in the future. does anyone know anything about any new tech on phones coming out and if they will make it in to a bb? any info would help.

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: barcode readers

What would be the use of a barcode reader anyway?

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I have heard of them sstone. Not sure we'll see one on a BB in the near future, but, you never know. Here's a symbian program I found that's out there. http://boingboing.net/2004/05/04/cam..._barcode_.html

And here's something for Sprint/Nextel phones.
    http://www.mobiledia.com/news/37143.html

ericjmess no está en línea Stack level 2

heard about this on the radio (wnpr here in NY). Idea is that you can be shopping and pull up information about the product from a central server (ingredients, allergies, etc). You would also be able to establish shopping lists. You could also scan a barcode and search for coupons, then somehow use those coupons at the register. When you hear about the whole plan it seems pretty cool. I think they want to implement it in the UK, then in the US within a year. Supposedly Japan already has this. I searched www.npr.org for the transcript of the interview but I could not find it.

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!

I saw a special on technology being used in Tokyo and they showed a clip of someone waving their cell in front a Coke machine and purchasing a Coke. So the implication for using bar codes could be many.

mcody no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi guys. This technology is called RFID (Radio Radio Frequency Identification). It's used in London (and many other cities I am sure) on a plastic swipe card to go through the London Underground. The technology is being taken up via most of the mobile handset manufacturers and will be seen integrated into the latest phones in the next 12-24 months.

Its been in the Far East and Scandinavia for a few years and is sure to make the lives of millions of us easier to allow us to 'pay' for a can of coke or even a carpark ticket. The potential is huge!

I hope this helps!
    Mark

Hiijacker no está en línea Stack level 1

I know a company called Scanbuy will offer this program eventually.....

scanbuyshopper.com and scanbuy.com

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

I've been to japan and yes they use their cellphones as credit cards.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

I have heard infomation about barcode reading as well. As a mattre of fact I think in the 90s I remember a toy that was made that when you scan a barcode it makes a figher and you can battle others with the fighter you made with a barcode. Its crazy. I've also heard that barcodes would be used if you want to purchase items instead of using credit. You scan it with your device. Whether or not that will catch is up to the consumer~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3

My wife has the Nokia N95 and it has a barcode reader. It reads the square barcodes and the normal UPC type barcodes.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

There's also http://www.armorplus.comThe company I work for is looking at buying BB barcode readers to do inventory