Evidently Jim Balsillie made some controversal comments about the relationship between AT&T and Apple... I ... General Blackberry forum

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4

Balsillie tries to explain the Apple/AT&T relationship

Advertisement

Evidently Jim Balsillie made some controversal comments about the relationship between AT&T and Apple... I thought this was interesting, so I thought I'd post it here for all to see!!!

http://blackberrycool.com/2007/07/09/005043/

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Re: Balsillie tries to explain the Apple/AT&T relationship

Quote Originally Posted by jchapman01
    Evidently Jim Balsillie made some controversal comments about the relationship between AT&T and Apple... I thought this was interesting, so I thought I'd post it here for all to see!!!

http://blackberrycool.com/2007/07/09/005043/

It certainly was a controversial article but it does show AT&T, apple and RIM in a completely different light. I'm of the opinion that I would side with RIM mainly because I would prefer phone manufactures to concentrate on form and function and not primarily on self promotion of its products, just think about how much capital was funneled into advertising that could've gone to substantially advancing R&D.

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i agree with you the manufacturer should do what they do best, come out with new tech and let the carriers do what they do best. It should be a 50/50 partnership.

rextilleon no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Apple poors huge amounts of money into R&D.

PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Apple poors huge amounts of money into R&D.
    No one said they didnt

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I think apple got a very good deal with this program. I would like to have seen a more traditional role between carrier and phone manufacturera, however. I understand why they did it this way... Its because the iphone is unlike any other phone on the market combining several apple services in one, but I do think it limits att a bit with what they can do. I don't think, however that it will make ATT the walmart of the wireless industry like the article suggested.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by joek71
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i agree with you the manufacturer should do what they do best, come out with new tech and let the carriers do what they do best.
    You know, if at&t seemed more competent I would agree with that statement. Given the provisioning issues that randomly pop up with our devices, issues that we always have to argue with their support reps (we do our research and investigating before we call), and clearly inconsistent and poor training of their CSR's they're going to have to step it up for me to accept that "they know best".
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-13-2007 at 02:09 PM.

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You know, if at&t seemed more competent I would agree with that statement. Given the provisioning issues that randomly pop up with our devices, issues that we always have to argue with their support reps (we do our research and investigating before we call), and clearly inconsistent and poor training of their CSR's they're going to have to step it up for me to accept that "they know best".
    That's a really good point, we'll put it this way, they should concentrate on what they should know best LOL hows that lol

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    I realize that I am slightly hijacking, or at least wandering slightly off topic.

One of the reasons the CSR's are so poorly trained is because most corporations throw new, inexperienced employees into the phone banks for the call centers. They are the lowest paying, least stimulating, most dreaded jobs in the company. It is also the job with the highest turnover. Around the time a rep gets all their training done, gets enough real world experience to be effective, they promote out to another job. And those are the 1 in 4 that didn't quit during the first 24 months of the job.

Not exclusive to AT&T or the wireless industry. Pretty much any service corporation that relies on the 800 number call centers for service.

[/slight tangent]

Nakim21 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I bash Verizon all the time about getting phones late but this time around I am glad they passed on the deal. I know Apple had Verizon as the only candidate for the phone until Verizon walked away from the table. Their main concern was also no brandishing logo, and no control over sales. So basically the Wal Mart effect. You know when Wal Mart comes to town you moms and pops stores can close up shop and are forced to work for whom...... You got it Wal Mart! Apple is going to make their usually .98 out of the $. .96 cents of that will be the sale of the phone from Apple Stores,and the classic Apple vending machine. The othe 2 cents from Wal Mart, Targets, and other retailer. For all the times I bash Verizon have to say thank you. Because At&T has to recoup at the price plan they are raping the customer with. If it was such a great phone as they thought look at their pricing plan versus what you get for the money you pay. Almost a million dollars to get free nights and weekends. "Anyone ever wonder why Apple's logo has one bite taken out it? Look what happened in the Garden of Eden"

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Nakim21
    I bash Verizon all the time about getting phones late but this time around I am glad they passed on the deal. I know Apple had Verizon as the only candidate for the phone until Verizon walked away from the table. Their main concern was also no brandishing logo, and no control over sales. So basically the Wal Mart effect. You know when Wal Mart comes to town you moms and pops stores can close up shop and are forced to work for whom...... You got it Wal Mart! Apple is going to make their usually .98 out of the $. .96 cents of that will be the sale of the phone from Apple Stores,and the classic Apple vending machine. The othe 2 cents from Wal Mart, Targets, and other retailer. For all the times I bash Verizon have to say thank you. Because At&T has to recoup at the price plan they are raping the customer with. If it was such a great phone as they thought look at their pricing plan versus what you get for the money you pay. Almost a million dollars to get free nights and weekends. "Anyone ever wonder why Apple's logo has one bite taken out it? Look what happened in the Garden of Eden"
    LOL!
    Last edited by RemyKirin; 07-16-2007 at 07:21 PM.

truthlikegold no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F9FC5C

They ****ing SELL AT&T service at Wal-Mart. It's all about the $$$. AT&T doesn't give a damn about their employees or their customers. Trust me, I know first hand in both arenas.
    Riley @ BLOODberry 23F9FC5C

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained
    not by its growth, but by washing away
    from it all that is not gold."