Hello PinStack! As you can tell this is my first post so I'm asking for ... General Blackberry forum

skylinec83 no está en línea Stack level 1

Backup from different model BB's

Advertisement

Hello PinStack!

As you can tell this is my first post so I'm asking for some forgiveness in advance as a newbie.

I'm not sure where exactly this question would fall under so I just posted under the "General BB" section.

Here's the deal:
    I have DM v4.2.0.14 on my PC and the service is T-mobile.

I had a 8100 on v4.2.1.107. Unfortunately, I lost the phone a few days ago and purchased a BB 8800 running on v4.2.1.72. I would like to restore a saved restore point (from when I had the 8100) to the 8800. Mainly, I want my address book back. When I run the DM, it allows me to restore some of the backed up databases from the computer to the phone but not all (and specifically not the Address Book). I tried going into the Advance portion of Backup/Restore and open up the backup file. On the Device Databases part of the window (right section), most of the the databases are grayed out or inactive and will not allow me to transfer from the Desktop File Databases to the Device Databases. These grayed out databases WILL, however, allow me to transfer from the device to the computer. There are some databases that are not grayed and do allow me to transfer both ways (from PC to device, or vice versa).

I tried calling T-mobile BB support but they don't know anything. I'm hoping that's where you guys, the experts, can come in and shed some light on this.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but the 8800 I got is on the cingular/at&t network. I am waiting on an unlock code but have not received it yet, so currently it's still not unlocked. I assumed this wasn't an issue.

The only other solution is can think of is to borrow someone's 8100, restore my data onto their 8100, and then do a "Switch Device Wizard" on DM. I prefer not to do this because I don't know anyone else with a 8100, and I don't know if it'll even work.

And if all else fails, my last hope would be to find some kind of software that can read .ipd files so I can see what was backed up in my Address Book and manually enter all the entries. Do you guys/girls know of such a software that exists???

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by skylinec83; 01-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Re: Backup from different model BB's

Hi Skyline - Welcome! The most likely reason that DM will not restore certain items to your new 8800 is that the 8800 has an IT policy attached. An IT policy is placed by companies specifically to protect their own information on employee handhelds. The reason you cannot restore the address book is that the device is designed to not allow that type of overwrite. If it is not an IT policy issue, then you have me stumped; and by the silence in the 18 hours since you first posted, everyone else is stumped too!

First, check to see if there is an IT policy. From your home screen, go to Options>Security Options>General Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of that screen, and if you see any mention at all about an IT policy, then the 8800 has one. If it does not, then I officially shrug my shoulders because I can't think of anything else that could be causing this! If there is an IT policy, it is easily removed by following the steps outlined here: http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy

Again, welcome to the Stacks!

skylinec83 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the help man. That was exactly the problem and I got it unlocked and also removed the IT policy.

Quote Originally Posted by skylinec83 View Post
    Hey Mark,

Thanks for the help man. That was exactly the problem and I got it unlocked and also removed the IT policy.
    Good, I'm glad it worked!!