Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The board keeps deleting words it thinks are too common, so I'm not getting what ... General Blackberry forum

Pearl_Diva no está en línea Stack level 2

Question I have to ask a dumb question, but I couldn't search the way I wanted to.

Advertisement

The board keeps deleting words it thinks are too common, so I'm not getting what I need.

I just want to know if the BB Desktop software is specific to the carrier you got the BB from, or can it be used for any BB? I have Cingular, but also may need to use a T-Mobile BB. I installed the software from the Cingular BB downloads. If I hook up a T-Mobile, will it be rejected or is the software generic? I didn't see any carrier branding, but I'm still unsure.

I know it's dumb question for long time BB users, but I need to know so I can avoid any possible conflicts.

TIA for any answers you can give me!
    Phone junkie! I've tried all types EXCEPT Blackberry! So I'm a BB Noob, please go easy on me, LOL!! I now have 3 Pearls, I guess that means I'm officially an addict?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: I have to ask a dumb question, but I couldn't search the way I wanted to.

"Only dumb questions are the ones never asked"

The Desktop Manager software is not carrier specific.

Zo.

Thanks for the reply!
    Phone junkie! I've tried all types EXCEPT Blackberry! So I'm a BB Noob, please go easy on me, LOL!! I now have 3 Pearls, I guess that means I'm officially an addict?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Nor is it device specific.

In general, it's best just to grab the latest version directly from RIM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Nor is it device specific.

In general, it's best just to grab the latest version directly from RIM.
    Although there have been a few reports of some of the earlier phones not working well with DM 4.1 and later.

Rcbjr

onlindis10 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3019477D

When I've encountered problems are starting downloading straight from RIM. When RIM came out with the DST patch, I downloaded it from them, then eventially my carrier came out with a so-called patch, when you clicked on it, it took you to RIM.

Question MORE Noob questions, LOL!

OK the T-Mobile Pearl hooked up, but I guess T-Mobile Pearl won't allow you to edit it's software? I didn't get the options to remove apps(except 3rd party) like I did with the Cingular Pearl. Plus my eReader(MobiPocket) thinks it's the same Pearl. Maybe I should download the BB eReader from somewhere to avoid this. Any thoughts from experienced users on both of these?

I have another question. What happens if T-Mobile or ATT releases new firmware? Am I going to have a problem installing it, being that I have 2 different vendors' BBs on the same machine?

Thanks for helping out a NOOB, LOL!

Thumbs up Re: I have to ask a dumb question, but I couldn't search the way I wanted to.

Deleting vendor.xml seemed to have solved the problems above. I was able to upgrade the T-Mobile Pearl and now the eReader reads it as seperate and I can now see it's apps.

Found this by accident while searching Pinstack! Thanks Pinstack!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Although there have been a few reports of some of the earlier phones not working well with DM 4.1 and later.
    There have always been problematic releases of DM from time to time. Any device incompatibilities are not by design.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl_Diva
    OK the T-Mobile Pearl hooked up, but I guess T-Mobile Pearl won't allow you to edit it's software?
    You can't on any BB unless you have your device's handheld software (version and carrier must match what is on your BB) loaded on your PC. It's an entirely separate download from Desktop Manager.

After deleting vendor.xml, I'm able to edit both T-Mobile and Cingular Pearls.
    When I say edit, I meant add and delete. I only delete very little though(BB is cleaner than many other smartphones) and 3rd party apps were allowed to be edited even without deleting vendor.xml.

I have another question. What happens if T-Mobile or ATT releases new firmware? Am I going to have a problem installing it, being that I have 2 different vendors' BBs on the same machine?

OK, I have to reask the above question. I'm still confused about it.

So far all I've downloaded is the OS for the Cingular branded Pearl(not the ATT). I didn't need to download T-Mobile's. Deleting the vendor file worked so far so avoid conflicts. BUT what if either issues updated OS? Do I just delete the vendor.xml file again?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl_Diva

OK, I have to reask the above question. I'm still confused about it.

So far all I've downloaded is the OS for the Cingular branded Pearl(not the ATT). I didn't need to download T-Mobile's. Deleting the vendor file worked so far so avoid conflicts. BUT what if either issues updated OS? Do I just delete the vendor.xml file again?
    Huh? I'm confused...so you have the OS?
    I would just delete the vendor.xml file, because it has no useful purpose.

The OS is NOT carrier specific, so you can use the OS on either phone. If a new OS does come out you can just delete the vendor.xml that comes with that one. There is no need for the file.

Hope that helps.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

I have been playing with trying to Combine differnt OSs to get the best of all into one UBER OS. No Luck so far. But I have 4 differant BB OSs on the PC right now, There are no confilcts but the Last one loaded is the one the DTM will try to put on the blackberry, no matter which is newest. Reddog is correct every time you install an OS that is or is not for you carrier the vendor file must be removed.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

I think I screwed up. I updated the OS on the Cingular without removing vendor file first. I only removed it so I could install on T-Mobile. What will happen now on the Cingular? I didn't have any bad effects yet.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

1) If you install the T-Mobile OS on the T-Mobile Pearl, there is no need to delete the vendor file.
    2) If you install the T-Mobile OS on the Cingular Pearl, then delete the vendor file. It will not update with the file still there.
    3) If you install the Cingular OS on the Cingular Pearl, no need to delete the vendor file.
    4) If you install the T-Mobile OS on the Cingular Pearl, then delete the vendor file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast