I guess there are just too many Blackberries (and those *other* phones) in southern Cal, ... General Blackberry forum

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Area code change -- address book shortcut?

Advertisement

I guess there are just too many Blackberries (and those *other* phones) in southern Cal, because Ma Bell is changing our area code (again...!). ALL of the 760 area codes in my address book are within the affected area. I haven't been able to figure out if there is a short cut to changing them in one fell swoop. Am I going to have to change them ONE AT A TIME??? Love you Stackers, and I have to read the forums daily to get my fix. Yeh, I guess I'm addicted to PS -- THANKS in advance!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    If you sync to Outlook that would be the easiest way to edit all the contacts. I don't think there is a way to do all of them at one time though.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks Reddog. That's what I was afraid of. You'd think with all of the new area codes being created that there would be some sort of shortcut...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Manx, do you use Outlook?

If so, you can export your contacts to an Excel spreadsheet, then do the mass update (Find/Replace All) within the spreadsheet, re-import to Outlook and over to your device with a sync.

Voila!

PIN/ID
    ask me
    No I don't use Outlook, but based upon your GREAT idea, I think I will try it.

Is there any chance of losing data when going from BB to Outlook and Excel then back again? Will Outlook and Excel handle all of the fields, including notes, Ok?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by manx driver View Post
    No I don't use Outlook, but based upon your GREAT idea, I think I will try it.

Is there any chance of losing data when going from BB to Outlook and Excel then back again? Will Outlook and Excel handle all of the fields, including notes, Ok?
    Can't say this method will be fool-proof, but I think it'll work pretty well and I think Outlook actually contains way more fields than the device does.

Once you have Outlook and are ready to do the export, you'll go to:

File>Import and Export>Export to a file. Make sure you select Comma Separated Values (Windows) for your file type. That will include every single field in Outlook to the spreadsheet.

Once you've sync'd your device with Outlook, you can verify that everything looks good before exporting the contacts.

When you're ready to import, you'll go back to the Wizard and select Import from another program or file, again choosing Comma Separated Values (Windows), then navigate to your saved spreadsheet.

Hope this helps you out!

Roger

::edit: You'll want to make sure your sync settings are correct in DM. You'll be able to configure the DM specifically for Outlook.
    Last edited by RogerG; 08-14-2008 at 04:19 PM.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    RoGro, that's exactly what I was going to suggest. manx driver - I have done that process several times for various reasons and have never lost any data. But I don't use the notes field so I can't vouch for that one...

PIN/ID
    ask me
    RoGro, MANY thanks for your suggestion and detailed instructions too! Trust kudos for you!

Gritsinct, I also appreciate your verifying success with having used that idea!