I was looking around for cool new things for my berry today when I found ... General Blackberry forum

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro

are there any linux users out there?

Advertisement

I was looking around for cool new things for my berry today when I found this from net direct open solutions.

http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry/

Linux users who also use a BlackBerry ™ now have an option for managing their BlackBerry directly from Linux.

Barry is an Open Source application that will provide synchronization, backup, restore and program management for BlackBerry ™ devices. Barry is primarily developed on Linux, but is intended as a cross platform library and application set, targeting Linux, BSD, 32/64bit, and big/little endian systems.

Today, it is possible to:

* charge your Blackberry's battery from your USB port
    * retrieve Address Book, Email, Calendar, Service Book, Memos, Tasks, PIN Messages, Saved Email, and Folders
    * export Address Book contacts in text or LDAP LDIF format
    * make full data backups and restores of your device using a GUI
    * synchronize contacts and calendar items using the OpenSync framework
    * use the Blackberry as a modem
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yep, they've made great progress in developing it over the years (still have to use windoze to update the apps on your device though) There were quite a few of us that were very happy indeed when they first came out with their USB driver

right!
    my buddy was STOKED!!!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I installed a second hard drive in my ThinkPad Ultra-bay running Ubuntu Linux. I've been evaluating Barry & thus far I'm very impressed. It retains all the flexibility as one would expect from Linux, which is especially advantageous to me as I have Hardy 8.04.1 highly modified to maximize it's speed.

sent via BlackBerry
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks archer I will let my friend know. He has just upgraded from the fiesty fwan to... The hardy heron? (I think). Anyway, I'm glad that the open source library is REALLY expanding. I remember when I started with Fedora 5 ther was A LOT out there but not really a lot for the average home user who was just trying to make the switch. Since then I've always carried around a copy of teenpuppy on a flash drive and kept a seperate computer dedicated to linux. I never really cared for fedora after version 5 though. I messed with Ubuntu (what ever version was before the feisty fawn) and liked it but I recently acquired and alienware PC with the whole dual monitor setup and haven't really had the time to mess with the other machine. It just does not fit on the desk lol.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Re: "are there any linux users out there?"

luciferseamus, You DO know about this thread on PS, right?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I did not know about it. My bad

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    I did not know about it. My bad
    That wasn't a scolding luc, I just wanted to make you aware of it. There's lots of good stuff for Linux folks out there. Enjoy!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

That's cool I just haven't had a chance to explore EVERYTHING that pinstack has to offer. There is so much here. Thanks for the info.