Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com) Nor do I 8320... General Blackberry forum

tiger123sw no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207ab3

Re: Are there any apps that monitor memory?

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    Nor do I 8320

ak602 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Nor do I??????????? How do we find it?

Quote Originally Posted by ak602 View Post
    Nor do I??????????? How do we find it?
    It's available when security is enabled, a password is set, and Content Protection is enabled. It's available on OSs 4.1.0.377 (32mb devices) and newer. Reason why the menu item doesn't appear right away is because you have to back completely out of the Options area and re-enter before it appears.

Only problem with all of this is that in my experience, Memory Cleaner is not very effective. It cleans a little, like the contents of the clipboard, etc. But if you want to really free up memory (without deleting content), turn the machine off, pull the battery, and cold boot it, releasing the file handles. On my 32mb 7290, after uptime has been longer than a week or so, I see only 13 point something mb free; a battery pull and reboot increases available memory to over 17mb. It's the same concept as on PCs.

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

mine will go from 12mb to 2mb, then ill have to bat pull to reach 12 again.

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Re: Are there any apps that monitor memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    ... But if you want to really free up memory (without deleting content), turn the machine off, pull the battery, and cold boot it, releasing the file handles.
    ... It's the same concept as on PCs.
    Does this mean that a soft-boot (Alt-Cap-Del) does not release file handles?

Is the difference (soft v hard boot) explained somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by o1sowise View Post
    Does this mean that a soft-boot (Alt-Cap-Del) does not release file handles?

Is the difference (soft v hard boot) explained somewhere?
    File handles are released because of the absence of power. Applications, when they start the first time after a cold boot, take just a little longer to start than subsequent startups. The classic example to demonstrate is Microsoft Word on a PC. On my PC, when I first turn on the computer, it takes Word about 2 seconds to start; then the second startup takes only about a quarter of a second. That's because Word reserves a little bundle of memory in RAM for itself called a File Handle, so it doesn't have to re-load everything after it's first start. The more programs you open and use, the more memory is lost to File Handles. If you alt-ctrl-delete the computer, and it restarts, the file handles remain because power was not removed. But, if you turn it completely off or unplug it, RAM erases because it needs power to hold it's information. Then after the cold boot, there's a lot more memory available because all the File Handles were erased. It's the identical principle on a Blackberry. A soft restart allows the memory to hold it's information and so doesn't free up memory. But a battery pull does. The only thing I want to find out, what I don't understand, is why this works with Flash memory on a Berry as well as RAM on a PC, because Flash is designed to hold memory when power is removed - which is why after you pull the battery everything in the PIM applications and in the RMS doesn't erase. My thought is that the actual file handle "enabler" is in RAM on a Berry, and it instructs the use of FLASH, and without the bit of RAM the Flash, although not actually erased, is marked as available. But I wander, and it's only a theory -- but the principle is sound, that it's the removal of power to the unit, and not necessarily the boot, that frees up memory.

I just installed:
    MemoryUp-Mobile RAM Booster (Specially Designed for BlackBerry)
    It works great!

It just defragged and saved over 4MB.

But I just realized that my problem is not so much memory related as it is storage. I have 60948480 Bytes of File Space. This number changes all the time, obviously, but it just hit zero again. How can I tell why or who is causing this?
    Last edited by o1sowise; 12-10-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: It's File space not Memory!

Question Are there any apps that monitor storage/file size?

I started a new thread.
    Last edited by o1sowise; 12-15-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12