My first BlackBerry device was about four months ago when I bought a BlackBerry Curve ... General Blackberry forum

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA

Are the Cameras Here to Stay?

Advertisement

My first BlackBerry device was about four months ago when I bought a BlackBerry Curve 8300...

I loved the device, but I had to reluctantly give it up in favour of the BlackBerry 8800 - I have recently started work in the defence industry, which strictly prohibits cameras (I didn't mind - over the years, I've only used my camera-phones maybe two dozen times).

But I have a problem - from a hardware point of view, my BlackBerry 8800 is the device for me, but when it comes to software, the BlackBerry Curve 8300 wins hands-down...

BlackBerry OS 4.2.1.x on my BlackBerry 8800 is great and handles memory MUCH better than BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x on my BlackBerry Curve 8300 could ever dream of doing - but it's slow, REALLY slow.

It takes anywhere up to four minutes to restart my BlackBerry 8800, and it's not uncommon to spend a solid 4-5 minutes waiting whilst my BlackBerry 8800 does "something" in the background - at times, I even have to wait 3-ish minutes just to able to unlock the keypad when I want to make a call!

These are issues that I do not have with BlackBerry OS 4.2.2.x on my BlackBerry Curve 8300.

Then there's the rumored hardware improvements in all the upcoming devices - bigger screens with higher resolutions, 3.5G/UMTS support, faster processors, etc...

Yet every single model that is supposedly comming has a camera!

Whatever happened to the BlackBerry being a corporate device?

I could name at least ten different jobs in which cameras are usually prohibited, yet Research in Motion (RIM) seems determined to ditch these guys in favour of the everyday consumer!

Have RIM given up on camera-free models (and to a massive extent, the corporate world) completely, or will we see a new camera-free BlackBerry sometime soon?

Being that the BlackBerry 8800 is so old and no longer manufactured, there's only a few dozen left across Australia - even if this wasn't the case though, they can't keep selling it forever...

What are your thoughts - have we seen the last camera-free BlackBerry, or will we (eventually) see a BlackBerry 8800 upgrade?

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I dont believe RIM will ditch the corporate world at all. That is their bread and butter and what has made them. They are facing apple which is pushing them to have more consumer friendly devices in which it seems that all the new devices are geared towards them. When these new devices come out I believe you will the the ones w/o cameras.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Mmm bread and butter.

Besides that...

I am familiar with these rules since I work at a Johnson and Johnson building and cameras are also prohibited here. Almost everyone has a BlackBerry with cameras, but they obviously don't use them.

My thing with this is...if there is a rule and the employer is willing to pay for an additional phone without a camera thats all good. But if a person has a phone with a camera but only uses it for work and not for taking pictures then I don't see what the big deal is, really.

Now on the other hand...some corporate employees might like having a BB with a camera for personal use outside of the office and business use inside and outside the office.

In the end, its really up to that employee to be responsible enough not to take pictures in the work place, especially if it puts their career in danger.

Unless of course we are talking about corporate espionage...which would be an entirely different issue.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    I would be happy to get any black berry for a little less with out a camera. I got the Pearl Because of EDGE, not the camera, I got the Curve for WIFI and EDGE, not the camera, I got the 8800 beacause of GPS and EDGE. I would have gotten either the Pearl or the Curve with out a camera if the cost had been less, I have a good digital camera that spanks any Cell phone camera, so it is just an unused add on I do not need or want.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Not sure what's going on with your 8800 and I hope you find a solution soon. Are you using the latest OS for it? I owned an 8800 before I upgraded to an 8820 (love it by the way) and I have never had any of the issues you have. Both models were/are anything but slow for me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    Mmm bread and butter.

Besides that...

I am familiar with these rules since I work at a Johnson and Johnson building and cameras are also prohibited here. Almost everyone has a BlackBerry with cameras, but they obviously don't use them.

My thing with this is...if there is a rule and the employer is willing to pay for an additional phone without a camera thats all good. But if a person has a phone with a camera but only uses it for work and not for taking pictures then I don't see what the big deal is, really.

Now on the other hand...some corporate employees might like having a BB with a camera for personal use outside of the office and business use inside and outside the office.

In the end, its really up to that employee to be responsible enough not to take pictures in the work place, especially if it puts their career in danger.

Unless of course we are talking about corporate espionage...which would be an entirely different issue.

Same here, I work for one of the world's largest mining truck divisions. Cameras are prohibited, but needless to say everyone carries one. Even upper management. It seems to be a rule that is ignored at most facilities now-a-days.
    Even w/ the average cell phone, they are continually manufactured w/ cameras even despite the rise in our Nations security. Yet, you can go into a Wal-mart and start taking photos of merchandise, and immediately, a security worker approaches you and will ask you to stop. (Maybe Wal-mart should run Homeland Security...LOL!) Personally I do not use the Camera as much as others, but it is a nice feature to have when you are @ the store and your wife wants you to pick up a personal item (in which I know nothing about.) and you can just pix it to get the OK on the item.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    I worked at a place they were banned, and the rules were pretty much ingnored till some photos showed up on a website, then all heck broke lose.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

neondeception no está en línea Stack level 5
    I have worked in a few places where you couldnt have a camera, but they werent smart enugh to check my phone, so i got away with it. I never did use it when i wasnt supposed to since my 8100 takes 30 seconds to save a 1.3mp picture.

If they are coming out with camera on everything I do hope they do some research and get that 30 seconds down, lol

I also worked at a BMW parts warehouse in returns, my blackberry made it really easy to email pictures to clients. I rarely used the digital camera I was given to use, I had to sync it with my computer, then load up outlook. Was alot faster on my berry, so i can see where the camera is good for corporate use, just get that 30 seconds down lol
    Life is like a movie, you've sat through half of it and its sucked so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the end to make it all worthwhile. you shouldn't get blamed for walking out early

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    People were taking picture of a new mining truck w/ company & personal cameras and and the only recoil was an inter-mail post stating "Please do not take picture of the new truck." That's security 4-ya!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    [quote=neondeception;723883]I have worked in a few places where you couldnt have a camera, but they werent smart enugh to check my phone, so i got away with it. I never did use it when i wasnt supposed to since my 8100 takes 30 seconds to save a 1.3mp picture.

my wife has an new 8100, and you are right, it takes sooo long really to do anything on it, like switch themes and like you said, save pics. Why is it so much slower than my Curve? Anybody got any ideas?

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    I am sure there are some high-level jobs where rules about no cameras are strictly enforced but, as others have said, I believe most of the corporate world has become a bit lax because camera phones are not only common these days but actually the norm.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    Are you on a BES for your company if so they can disable the camera feature on the blackberry through the IT policy. So you can have the hardware but it will not function.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I am sure there are some high-level jobs where rules about no cameras are strictly enforced but, as others have said, I believe most of the corporate world has become a bit lax because camera phones are not only common these days but actually the norm.
    Well I'm not sure about in other countries, but certain industries enforce their no-camera rules with an iron fist - law and defence (the latter of which is my industry) are fine examples...

On a global scale, the defence industry alone has at LEAST 300,000 thousand employees and most countries enforce the no-camera rule strictly in this industry!

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~