Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi, I am thinking of taking the plunge into the world of the blackberry and ... General Blackberry forum

shaun007 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24fd413b

Are blackberrys really that good? or will I be disappointed?

Advertisement

Hi,

I am thinking of taking the plunge into the world of the blackberry and considering buying a 8700. The proscept of the 'push' email is exciting and I can understand how easy it could be to get 'addicted' but I have always had Nokia phones and have always been happy, so what can you guys tell me that would reasure me that I'm not going to be dissappointed if I buy a BB.

Also

The device would probably be on T-mobile (I'm currently with Orange - who seem slow to adopt the BB) TMO seem to have really embaced the whole BB way of life but are there any issues with them. I'm UK based.

Many thanks Guys

Shaun

tmag2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

Re: Are blackberrys really that good? or will I be disappointed?

I am UK based and on O2 with BBs

I have probably had most phone available, but have come back to BB. They are addictive, and would really recommend them. There is something about the BB that cant be explained. If you dont want a camera then the 8700g/f/v dependant on network.

All i can say is that - All other manufacturers are using BB Connect software...surely that says something...

As for the network, in order i would probably look:

O2
    Orange
    Vodafone
    Tmobile

Dont expect great service from Sales guys in the store, as they have no clue in the main, but that fine as you have pinstack etc to gain info from...

If i was you, i would go for it.....
    Last edited by tmag2005; 10-11-2006 at 08:19 AM.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Welcome to Pinstack.

I am on Tmo Usa. And yes Blackberrys are worth it. I also have the 8700g and love it.
    Everyone talks about the push email side of Blackberry. But, there is another side. They give you access to the web on the fly. They have sms capabilities. They have huge memorys compared to a regular cell phone. And the keyboards make typeing a breeze.

And the list goes on and on.
    So in short, Yes, Blackberrys are really worth it. You wont be sorry. And............The os is way more stable than any other device that does the same as a Blackberry.

Puzzler no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24FD8BE3

Would agree with the above.
    Im on Orange in the UK and have only had the Blackberry a couple of weeks but must say it is better than a normal mobile phone.
    Getting emails pushed to you immediately, internet access, easy and quick typing of sms make it a great all rounder.
    you won't be disappointed.

PIN/ID
    24fd413b

Puzzler,

You have a BB and you are on orange? which BB do you have as I was unaware they were out on orange yet.

PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

I know the 8700f is out

PIN/ID
    24fd413b

is the 8700f the pop3 version?

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Quote Originally Posted by shaun007
    is the 8700f the pop3 version?
    the device doesn't really dictate how email works.
    you'll either be using BIS or BES, probably BIS

BIS is a web based configuration utility that you'll use to setup other email accounts on your Blackberry. You can setup BIS to check other pop3 accounts.
    Hope that helps!

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

cell phone, compared to BB's

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

Hi shaun007. If you haven't been seduced by the above testimonials, you never will The key decisions I think you have to make are. in no particular order
    Are you happy with the form factor (size) of a BB**
    Do you have enough email traffic to justify a push email device
    Are you prepared to be on contract rather than prepay
    Are you prepared to pay upwards of Ł15 a month extra for data access

If the answer to all of the above is yes then welcome to the wonderful world of BB

As regards which UK carrier you use, I would agree with the order in tmag's post. However, you should consider whether you want price or service. Unfortunately, you won't get both. Currently TMobile web n walk/flext is the winner on price, with the best service at O2. Either way,to get the best from your BB its vital to use a forum like this one because if you are on BB Internet Service as opposed to Enterprise (the corporate one) the strenght in depth of the UK providers technical knowledge is limited.

Finally before you make your decision, you should also look at a Nokia E61. 3 are doing blinding deals on this but don't expect much in the way of aftersales service. Sorry to be so windy, but I hope this helps.

PIN/ID
    250d3c8f

Is you like the qwerty keyboard go 8700f (Orange) / or Pearl if you want Suretype...

Where are you based UK wise..

PIN/ID
    24FD8BE3

Quote Originally Posted by shaun007
    Puzzler,

You have a BB and you are on orange? which BB do you have as I was unaware they were out on orange yet.
    Yep BB on Orange.
    I have the 8700f and using BIS. Think you need a business account to get a BB from Orange though, which i have.
    Happy so far with both Orange and the 8700, although actually getting one wasn't made easy as you, as you have to go to one of there shops that has an instore business manager apparently, as these are the only stores that sell them.
    Go to there business customer website and all the info can be found on there. http://www.business.orange.co.uk/ser...ename=Business

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

I'm gonna stick my neck out REAL FAR here, so Pearl fanciers everywhere please just seeth quietly at me and don't vent your spleen on the forum

I think the Pearl is more about fashionista than function.

I know LOADS of people will disagree, its just my opinion.

PIN/ID
    24FD8BE3

Quote Originally Posted by giamburrasca
    Hi shaun007. If you haven't been seduced by the above testimonials, you never will The key decisions I think you have to make are. in no particular order
    Are you happy with the form factor (size) of a BB**
    Do you have enough email traffic to justify a push email device
    Are you prepared to be on contract rather than prepay
    Are you prepared to pay upwards of Ł15 a month extra for data access

If the answer to all of the above is yes then welcome to the wonderful world of BB

As regards which UK carrier you use, I would agree with the order in tmag's post. However, you should consider whether you want price or service. Unfortunately, you won't get both. Currently TMobile web n walk/flext is the winner on price, with the best service at O2. Either way,to get the best from your BB its vital to use a forum like this one because if you are on BB Internet Service as opposed to Enterprise (the corporate one) the strenght in depth of the UK providers technical knowledge is limited.

Finally before you make your decision, you should also look at a Nokia E61. 3 are doing blinding deals on this but don't expect much in the way of aftersales service. Sorry to be so windy, but I hope this helps.
    Good points, I considered leaving Orange when I first thought of getting a BB, so ended up trying T-Mobile as there prices are very good. Cancelled after one day as their coverage compared to Orange in my area was very poor. Couldn't get a signal within a mile of my house/office, so stayed with Orange.
    Also tried a Nokia E61 and a T-Mobile Vario II, but really do prefer the 8700f over both of these.
    I pay an extra Ł15 per month for BIS, this includes 25mb of Data (Orange World 25) which is not great but does me. I've heard Orange are due to change there data plans to be more competitive in the very near future.

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

me personally, i think the pearl is merely an attempt by RIM to grab a piece of the cell phone market. i think they should stick with what they do best. BB all the way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast