Posted: May 20, 2008, 2:18 PM by Jonathan Ratner Technology The battle between Research In ... General Blackberry forum

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Arrow Apple vs RIM: The iPhone-BlackBerry showdown continues

Advertisement

Posted: May 20, 2008, 2:18 PM by Jonathan Ratner Technology

The battle between Research In Motion Ltd. and Apple Inc. in their key smart phone markets – business customers and consumers, respectively – continues to heat up. RIM recently unveiled the BlackBerry Bold (9000), which runs on high-speed 3G networks and can better synchronize with Apple’s iTunes music software. It may also launch a touchscreen device – codenamed “Thunder” – later in 2008.

Apple, meanwhile, is expected to a show off a 3G iPhone at its World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco that begins on June 9, 2008. While Apple may indicate that as many as 250 large enterprise customers are interested in the iPhone, RIM has more than 50,000 very large enterprise customers on its platform, according to Peter Misek at Canaccord Adams.

Apple will also showcase the iPhone’s interoperability with Microsoft Exchange and claim it offers “push” technology, the analyst said. But he insists that it really isn’t “push” since exchange wireless synching “initiates a data call from the device and checks the server within a defined frequency (typically 1 to 30 seconds).” Mr. Misek also told clients that this “pinging” creates a security hole for hackers, consumes a significant amount of bandwidth and depletes battery life.

“We would argue that these attributes of Microsoft Exchange are the reasons why Microsoft has been unable to make a dent in RIM’s market share in the enterprise,” he said in a report. “With iPhone relying on the same technology, we do not see any reason to expect more from Apple in the enterprise.”

[Full Article]
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    Let's see which one my company/boss/IT dept would be more open to...

1) A mainly business device w/ somewhat limited consumer features (any BB)
    2) A mainly consumer device w/ very limited business features (iPhone).

You don't have to be psychic to see that the iPhone, even with new business capabilities, is first and foremost a consumer product and I know my company won't be first in line to roll out new iphones to everyone, even if everyone thinks they're cool or wants one.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno View Post
    Let's see which one my company/boss/IT dept would be more open to...

1) A mainly business device w/ somewhat limited consumer features (any BB)
    2) A mainly consumer device w/ very limited business features (iPhone).

You don't have to be psychic to see that the iPhone, even with new business capabilities, is first and foremost a consumer product and I know my company won't be first in line to roll out new iphones to everyone, even if everyone thinks they're cool or wants one.
    Very well said!

I might revise #2 ( to one of many ways the iPhone could be described as )

Mainly a consumer entertainment device, w/limited business features and which hampers accuracy and productivity because of a slow input method via touch screen.

Moving along I certainly agree with your assessment of it being a hard sell to most businesses. At least those of whom are focused on the bottom line and achieving a level of success that fits in appropriately with mainstream corporate America.

Of course like anything else there will be exceptions to that, and it's the companies in Silicon Valley that cater to their employees, with perks unlike a "normal mainstream business". The companies that generate huge profit margins off the backs of those who buy into the hype generated by companies such as Apple.