Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by dubai_bb My side of it is that we could have the Bold ... General Blackberry forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    My side of it is that we could have the Bold sooner if man power and resources weren't put towards a device that most likely will not sell well.
    I agree with your logic completely.

However it's based on the assumption that RIM has only enough resources to create & develope just one. device at a time which is simply not true.

Cheers
    via: Red BB 8310

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well bold will be high speed. The problem I see with this is that so many of the devices are beyond 3G, some are 3.5G. As for 4.2 and 4.3 BB os, I think it would be quite hard to find a phone with worse media features then berry at the moment. So in my opinion to work on the consumer market integration for rim, will have to add 3G to the device.

PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Another thing that I have just though of is the device itself! It will all make scene in a minute. As the time has gone by and rim made its way into the consumers holsters, the devices have gotten sleeker and better looking. If we were to compare the current line up, it is obvious that the consumer devices are far smaller in size. The idea of releasing javelin with the 3G would increase the devices size. We have all have seen that as addition of 3G has increased the iphone size, and has pushed the 8800 series replacement, bold, far out of even large device such as 8800's borders. That would be a bad move as it will no longer be ideal device. The way I see it, rim very well knows that a lot of consumers don't even know what the 3G truly offers. Their main aim is the sleekness, camera and ui, and the prestige and convenience having a blackberry on the hip. Thinking outside the box, our berrys are not only great for day to day use, but are also a powerful statement, simply having a black holster hanging off the jeans' pocket has made the look! This will surly hook the consumers. The bold is more for people who already had a blackberry and are upgrading, we all know that a few centimeters of size difference will not be that bad as of compare to the features that they will bring with. This is just my speculation of the mind set that rim seems to be creating.

blacktouch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9
    i would like to try both out. but the release times suck between them. bold is out at the end of this year and the javelin mid 09? how does that work?
    Last edited by blacktouch007; 06-22-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: wanted to add more text and forgot

PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    WOW!!! Bold is due out soon, not towards the end of the year, here in canada its predicted to be released in less then a month! Javelin on the other hand has no real info. But I doubt that there is going to be that long, as both are essnsially the same hardware wise! The camera and the wireless chip differ, that is essensially it! so I do not think that it would be as much as a year from now to javelins release!

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I agree with your logic completely.

However it's based on the assumption that RIM has only enough resources to create & develope just one. device at a time which is simply not true.

Cheers
    I agree. Manufacturers are set up to produce more than one product at a time. Look at the Pearl, Curve, 8800 all out at the same time, not to mention the CDMA versions.

The iPhone, I believe, is focused on a narrower market than RIM which has tried to move out to a larger base. Therefore, they need more than one product. Apple is, thus far, doing OK with just one. Things can always change though. It will be interesting to see if any businesses begin using the iPhone. If not, they may move to dual devices.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Also, what happened to businesses not allowing camera's on wireless devices? (Bold) I thought that was the reason for the 8800 and 8300. Has that culture changed recently? Just wondering.

VETT98 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    friends
    The so called ''Javelin"
    Is anyone else wondering why RIM would put valuable time, money and research into a 3G-less Bold? I have seen people give arguments like ''because it will be cheaper'' but thats B* S*t. How much of a price difference can it be??? $25-50.... will that really make more people buy....???? 3G is not new technology, and other manufacturers are putting out 3.5G low-mid level devices, unlocked and without contract for like $150.

Wouldnt it be better to put their energy in releasing good devices early, the Bold being an good example of RIM being pretty much one of the last manufacturers to bring out a 3G device.

I cant wait for the Bold to come out...... but when I see how long it takes for them to get a device out, and then them wasting time on a pointless device.. that really ticks me off.
    yes because 3g is not every where
    Mike

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I don't understand it either. I love the smaller size of the Curve and wish there was a way to fit 3G in that and then I would be in heaven!
    I'm with you 100%.

My Curve 8310is the perfect device for me. Ideal size, perfect keyboard, not a single problem or complaint in the 10 months of super intensive daily use.

The _only_ change I request is to include 3G. I use this BB to access the Web constantly & 3G would save me a lot of time. Each of us have different needs & for me one of those is web access that is as fast as possible. I don't need music, video, or TV on my BB. In those areas I'm already covered & much prefer video, TV on a larger display. I'm an audiophile thus I have other music player preferences than to have it incorporated into my phone.

For me the Curve is exactly the right size. I don't want smaller or larger.

Cheers

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I agree. Manufacturers are set up to produce more than one product at a time. Look at the Pearl, Curve, 8800 all out at the same time, not to mention the CDMA versions.

I know manufacturers are set up to release more than 1 device at a time. Look at Nokia, they release at least 3-4 devices per month, through out the year. The reason I said it would make the Bold come out earlier because obviously it has taken ages for them to release a 3G device, therefore if they put more resources into it it wouldnt take tht long.
    As I mentioned previously in the thread, adding 3G cant be that much more expensive anymore or add to the size of a device significantly. There are many 3.5 devices out that are low-mid range. Nokia 6120 being a perfect example, it runs symbian s60 is 3.5G can run with pushmail and has the works. It is cheap, and tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I'm with you 100%.

My Curve 8310is the perfect device for me. Ideal size, perfect keyboard, not a single problem or complaint in the 10 months of super intensive daily use.

The _only_ change I request is to include 3G. I use this BB to access the Web constantly & 3G would save me a lot of time. Each of us have different needs & for me one of those is web access that is as fast as possible. I don't need music, video, or TV on my BB. In those areas I'm already covered & much prefer video, TV on a larger display. I'm an audiophile thus I have other music player preferences than to have it incorporated into my phone.

For me the Curve is exactly the right size. I don't want smaller or larger.

Cheers
    Thank you Archer. Thats what I mean, I am trying to open my fellow rim lover's eyes. I am Canadian and moved out here to work in Media, and now work in Media/Mobile Technology. We are so behind back home in regards to Mobile technology, that its stupid. Anytime I bring any point up on the forums the only reply people can give is that they are happy and its good enough. Well of course all you guys are happy because you havent had anything better. The reason I bring these things up is that I love RIM and I want them to surpass other manufacturers. But unless they pick it up a notch they will not, and what will happen is as the mobile technology cathces up back home in the states and canada, other manufacturers will be ahead of RIM, and by then they will also have probably perfected the same type of email/server clients. Then how will RIM compete.

I love the RIM service, and the OS. But the truth of the matter is if it wasnt for the fact that I can only have an unlimited worldwide data plan with a blackberry, I would get rid of it in a second. Anyone I know who owns a blackberry says the same. (except for all my friends back home in the states canada of course)

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Thank you Archer. Thats what I mean, I am trying to open my fellow rim lover's eyes. I am Canadian and moved out here to work in Media, and now work in Media/Mobile Technology. We are so behind back home in regards to Mobile technology, that its stupid. Anytime I bring any point up on the forums the only reply people can give is that they are happy and its good enough. Well of course all you guys are happy because you havent had anything better. The reason I bring these things up is that I love RIM and I want them to surpass other manufacturers. But unless they pick it up a notch they will not, and what will happen is as the mobile technology cathces up back home in the states and canada, other manufacturers will be ahead of RIM, and by then they will also have probably perfected the same type of email/server clients. Then how will RIM compete.

I love the RIM service, and the OS. But the truth of the matter is if it wasnt for the fact that I can only have an unlimited worldwide data plan with a blackberry, I would get rid of it in a second. Anyone I know who owns a blackberry says the same. (except for all my friends back home in the states canada of course)
    First of all, I agree with you that we here in the North American market are behind in technology. Behind in 3G, behind in advancements. No argument there.

The question is why. I believe it is because it is a different market with different goals. We on this side of the ocean (the majority, not us geeks on Pinstack) are looking for cheap, easy to use devices. You may be right that our ignorance keeps us where we are and if we get a taste of something better we would understand what we are missing. Perhaps. Probably not ever in the numbers that europe or the asian market show. I want my Curve with 3G implemented so that I can stream music, download files faster, and zip through the Internet. My neighbors and rest of my family think I'm nuts. Most manufacturers know this. They would be foolish to commit too much money in developing the same here as elsewhere. Go where the money is.

That makes sense.

Good call.
    I dont know how the service can cost that much more, but I can see that people really do spend less on the handsets back home in Canada and the states.
    I see what your saying about most people thinking your nuts about wanting all your downloads and everything. Its the business people that are missing out there that are not aware of it. Like I mentioned it before. Us business users are the ones who can benefit from video calls, especially international video calls help business a lot. And things like Mobile TV I saw some guys thought its a waste of time, but when ur a business man you dont have much down time and if you want to know whats going I would rather watch the BBc or CNN or Bloomberg than read their site. Like now, when I am waiitng around at the airport, sitting in my car in traffic, I am watching those channels on my phone. Makes a huge difference. And it doesnt cost much. I pay like $10 a month for unlimited TV with like 15 channels. And Im in a country that has a population of less than 5 million.

I guess I just rant because I figure atleast fellow pinstackers must understand when my friends cant. I just took a quick trip home to Canada for a few days last week and my friends are like arent our BB's amazing. The whole time Im like boys, you have no idea how behind we are.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 06-25-2008 at 04:59 AM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Once RIM releases the Thunder things will change. After the bold and Javelin things will remain the same. Apple will still be making money off the Iphone. People want big screens and 1/4 of an inch is not really gonna cut it for the bold but then again IMO only time will tell once these devices are released.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    That makes sense.

Good call.
    I dont know how the service can cost that much more, but I can see that people really do spend less on the handsets back home in Canada and the states.
    I see what your saying about most people thinking your nuts about wanting all your downloads and everything. Its the business people that are missing out there that are not aware of it. Like I mentioned it before. Us business users are the ones who can benefit from video calls, especially international video calls help business a lot. And things like Mobile TV I saw some guys thought its a waste of time, but when ur a business man you dont have much down time and if you want to know whats going I would rather watch the BBc or CNN or Bloomberg than read their site. Like now, when I am waiitng around at the airport, sitting in my car in traffic, I am watching those channels on my phone. Makes a huge difference. And it doesnt cost much. I pay like $10 a month for unlimited TV with like 15 channels. And Im in a country that has a population of less than 5 million.

I guess I just rant because I figure atleast fellow pinstackers must understand when my friends cant. I just took a quick trip home to Canada for a few days last week and my friends are like arent our BB's amazing. The whole time Im like boys, you have no idea how behind we are.
    I'm in health care and some of the docs are carrying around PDA's or smartphones that have a drug reference on it or to keep track of patients/new consults but not many. We are taking to electronic medical records very slowly. Why? Cost. The startup cost can be 10's of thousands of dollars and a small practice won't see a return for many years. The US government is talking about giving tax breaks to those who do to speed things along. I see the advantages of having all this new technology in their hands, they see dollars and cents. I know this isn't exactly what we were talking about but I think it shows where our focus is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123