Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by beejreit 3g is alright, but web browsing on blackberry no matter how ... General Blackberry forum

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by beejreit View Post
    3g is alright, but web browsing on blackberry no matter how fast isn't the greatest.
    You are correct about that. But when most users around the world are demanding 3G, its not just for web browsing. Its because we assume that with a 3G device you will have features that other manufacturers have been providing us for more than 3 years.

Video calling, content streaming and LIVE Mobile TV.

The Bold... I will be buying...Yet it looks like I still have to carry a Nokia around wiht me. as well.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Are the dimensions of the Javelin smaller than the Bold? At least from what we know so far that is.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    Someones not giving you very good info...
    if you go somewhere where 3g is not available the BOLD will still work, it just switches to EDGE. Its not like it wont work somewhere where there is no 3G.

Yeah I Guess HAYDEN Was wrong.....Check the post entitled "Video of Blackberry Javelin"
    “There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”
    ----Woody Hayes

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Hah javelin is in fact the curve replacement. As seen in video, the keyboard is slightly different and such. The thing is cdma is 3g here in canada, toronto so javelin, after making it to cdma will be 3G. But that's not the point of my post, I find it difficult to believe that its not 3G. I do understand that rim aims curve more towards the consumer market and making the device cheaper would in fact make it sell much better inside consumer market.

But again when looking at it from young adult's view, I would happily pay a little more for 3G. Consumer market is more aimed towards media such as music and videos, rather then email and corp. Apps. So top me it makes more scenes to put 3G into something that would really need it such as javelin as its main use will be media, rather then a corp. Device such as bold which prime use will be for tiny bits of data such as emails.

I do see rim's point to cut the cost and make javelin more attractive to consumers, but as far as I see it, they are taking out something that such device critical needs. To me they should cut costs on something else, or wait for a while prior to release to get the 3G chip manufacturing cost down.

besides, as mentioned here before, crappy and cheap phones have already surpass 3G and to the consumer market will look far more attractive then a crappy, under tuned blackberry!

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Anybody have a link for the video. "Video of Blackberry Javelin"

brandonmccall no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    What I'm curious to know is if & why they truly plan to implement a 3.2 MP camera into the Javelin as apposed to the 2 MP camera that the Bold features..
    Last edited by brandonmccall; 06-19-2008 at 09:31 AM.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    GeneKam, you make a very good point about 3G that I have not thought of before. What does a business oriented, mainly email device need 3G for? It would seem the multimedia device would have more uses for 3G with streaming, downloading and such much improved. Maybe I am missing something.

Many business users do expect 3G now, especially since a lot of us around the world are used to it. Getting attachments quicker, market updates, watching the news live, video calls and the list goes on. I actually notice more business users actually making use of 3G technology than consumers in my travels. Please keep in mind that 3G is new to you guys but for a lot of people around the world it is more than 3 years old and for a lot of us using the current blackberries is very frustrating because of the speed and lack of features.

Its not about a ''mainly email device''. Consumers and Professionals want an ''All in one'' device. There is no reason why any manufacturer cant provide that.

RIM knows how much money is at stake when it comes to the worldwide professional and consumer market. You should be aware that its not the handsets that sell the blackberry... its the BIS and BES service that has brought rim up. The handsets might be great for consumers in north America because you have not had all the features available that other markets have. I dont dislike my blackberries, but if I could have worldwide BES or BIS service on a any of a handful of other devices, my curve and 8800 would be out the window.
    On the other hand, if I had mobile tv, video calling on a 3.5G blackberry then I would never think about another manufacturer again.
    Im just tired of having to carry at least 2 phones around at all times.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 06-19-2008 at 09:58 AM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    The so called ''Javelin"
    Is anyone else wondering why RIM would put valuable time, money and research into a 3G-less Bold?

3G is not new technology RIM being pretty much one of the last manufacturers to bring out a 3G device.

... but when I see how long it takes for them to get a device out, and then them wasting time on a pointless device.. that really ticks me off.
    Regarding RIM investing time and money into R&D of a device that lacks 3G is a question that is very valid. At this juncture I believe that in lieu of the public having any hard facts, specifications, target market details, and other facts, we may be wasting out time speculating, or questioning RIM's reasoning or judgment. Speaking for myself personally, I find that RIM has a very impressive track record over quite a number of years, in releasing devices that are nearly problem free from day one. And of those first generation units, I have yet to see one that has any type of significant problem which prevents it from being used for it's intended purpose. This in and of itself is proof positive that this company does it's homework well before even beginning to design a new model.

Unlike many manufacturers that rush their products to market just to beat the competition, which in most cases comes at the expense of the customer buying a device filled with compromises and bugs. RIM has no problem finishing the product before introducing it. Regarding how long it takes RIM to bring a product to market, several thoughts come to mind. First, because RIM is a company to be reckoned with they are being very closely watched. In many cases the harsh spotlight of the press shines brighter on them, and in turn tends to create rumors from the slightest hint of a new device, OS update, or other form of forward progress. Thus the "start date" of the rumors begins very early, and the "duration" of said rumors only continues to grow as one never knows just how many changes, improvements and new technologies or configurations RIM is actually entertaining. Therefore the perception is created that RIM "takes forever" to bring a product to market.

Then we have the loyal customer base, such as myself that are huge advocates of any new technology, especially that coming out of the RIM camp. Thus I'm going to sit back, wait patiently (as hard as that is) and try to stay away from pure rumors and speculation, as in the final analysis, that is a useless waste of time. So at the end of the day, while not easy, I would much rather wait for however long it takes RIM, so that we have a great device to enjoy, as opposed to rushing a device out, only to find that while it does some things well, we cannot wait to dump in favor of version 2.0.

Cheers!

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Once again, very well spoken. You chose your words carefully and that I respect. Thx! (For those wanting a further insight to the "author",
    check out this post

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=672

I found it very revealing...

Yes great point archer..... those one can accept......unlike , ''because 3G is cheaper" or business users dont need 3G" or the one that confuses me most... ''so people who dont have 3G can use it."

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Yes great point archer..... those one can accept......unlike , ''because 3G is cheaper" or business users dont need 3G" or the one that confuses me most... ''so people who dont have 3G can use it."
    So no one else is able to make points or raise questions anymore?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgeekb
    So no one else is able to make points or raise questions anymore?

please do, by all means. So far the only thing that seems to make sense is that it has not been released officially so we really dont know if it will lack 3G. No one has made any valid points as to if it were to be released without 3G, any reasons why.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 06-21-2008 at 10:58 AM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Further thoughts:
    As I mentioned in my earlier post here, we still have not seen the final "official" specs. Therefore I will offer this; if it is indeed just like the Bold, but without 3G, I trust RIM to have a cost effective, marketing driven reason to produce such a device.

Next is for those of you who view it as a terrible idea, who cares? As long as we have the high speed coverage -3G- available via the BOLD, why make such a big deal of this?
    Now _That_ makes no sense.....

BlackBerry by RIM...
    Simply Brilliant!

via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold)

(wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Next is for those of you who view it as a terrible idea, who cares? As long as we have the high speed coverage -3G- available via the BOLD, why make such a big deal of this?
    Now _That_ makes no sense.....
    My side of it is that we could have the Bold sooner if man power and resources weren't put towards a device that most likely will not sell well. Now that a 3G BB will soon be available, a very very verrry small percentage of BB users outside North America would ever consider purchasing an Edge blackberry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast