Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The so called ''Javelin" Is anyone else wondering why RIM would put valuable time, money ... General Blackberry forum

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3

Anyone wondering about the ''Javelin"

Advertisement

The so called ''Javelin"
    Is anyone else wondering why RIM would put valuable time, money and research into a 3G-less Bold? I have seen people give arguments like ''because it will be cheaper'' but thats B* S*t. How much of a price difference can it be??? $25-50.... will that really make more people buy....???? 3G is not new technology, and other manufacturers are putting out 3.5G low-mid level devices, unlocked and without contract for like $150.

Wouldnt it be better to put their energy in releasing good devices early, the Bold being an good example of RIM being pretty much one of the last manufacturers to bring out a 3G device.

I cant wait for the Bold to come out...... but when I see how long it takes for them to get a device out, and then them wasting time on a pointless device.. that really ticks me off.

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    The so called ''Javelin"
    Is anyone else wondering why RIM would put valuable time, money and research into a 3G-less Bold? I have seen people give arguments like ''because it will be cheaper'' but thats B* S*t. How much of a price difference can it be??? $25-50.... will that really make more people buy....???? 3G is not new technology, and other manufacturers are putting out 3.5G low-mid level devices, unlocked and without contract for like $150.

Wouldnt it be better to put their energy in releasing good devices early, the Bold being an good example of RIM being pretty much one of the last manufacturers to bring out a 3G device.

I cant wait for the Bold to come out...... but when I see how long it takes for them to get a device out, and then them wasting time on a pointless device.. that really ticks me off.

I dont understand it either, but what was told to me in the STACKS was that if this is a global release the "Javelin" will be more for the places where 3G is not available.....
    “There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”
    ----Woody Hayes

Someones not giving you very good info...
    if you go somewhere where 3g is not available the BOLD will still work, it just switches to EDGE. Its not like it wont work somewhere where there is no 3G.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Javelin is just a waste of time and space and energy and stuffs

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Bold-Replacement for the 88 series
    Javelin-Replacement for the 83 series

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Cant accept that. If that is the case, it still doesn't explain why its not 3G. For RIM to be releasing a phone when.. aren't the rumors saying 2009.... and its not 3G. Some people are going to/ or better be losing their jobs at RIM.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    Cant accept that.
    That's your choice then, but that is the "idea" of both the bold and the javelin.

As far as why they aren't including 3G on it, who knows.

My opinion is that 3G WILL in fact find it's way onto this device, atleast in some form or another.

I am trying to understand why N8DBB, but your not making a valid argument.

Its like me asking why is the sky blue and you saying, because it is.

Im bringing valid arguments and you are not giving me anything. 3G is not new. More than 3 years old at least. I know you must agree that 3 years is a long time in regards to technology.
    Therefore RIM should explain itself... if the device comes out without 3G.
    Thats all im saying

penpower no está en línea Stack level 3
    I guess not everyone will be able to afford to get a Bold. If RIM could come out with a similar product (higher resolution screen, better keyboard, GPS, WIFI, and minus 3G) and sell it at more competative price level (just like current curve's price level), it will definately become more popular than Curve. On the other hand, 3g doesn't do any better than plain EDGE on the email part, so the old EDGE might just work for many people, especially in some developing countries which once have no BB service before.

Finally, it is all about market shares, market shares, market shares. Something like Nokia has been doing for the past several years - releasing tons of low-end model to developing countries to gain market shares there.

BTW, anyone think Javelin's back cover looks fugly like hell
    Last edited by penpower; 06-18-2008 at 05:11 PM.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    I don't understand it either. I love the smaller size of the Curve and wish there was a way to fit 3G in that and then I would be in heaven!
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I don't understand it either. I love the smaller size of the Curve and wish there was a way to fit 3G in that and then I would be in heaven!
    There is and has to be.... like I said other manufacturers have been releasing tiny devices that are 3.5G HSDPA and they are CHEAP. A perfect example is the NOKIA 6120 which was released more than a year ago.... 1 YEAR AGO!!! and its tiny and runs on symbian s60 and is 3.5G HSDPA. And they sell that phone unlocked brand new wihtout a contract for like $150.

And also thought about countries where 3G isnt available, but 3.5G HSDPA has been rolled out in "over 165 commercially launched HSDPA networks in 75 countries."
    WHat, is Rim planning on selling the Javelin in 3rd world countries. What people cant afford to buy food but their gonna buy a javelin....

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Well, I am guessing that you didn't separate out the two there.

The 2 devices in question are in fact the replacements for the current 88 and 83 series. Trust me on that one. Although that has nothing to do with your questioning of why there is no 3G on the devices.

As I said, in my opinion 3G will be on the final released devices.

If they DO leave it off, then it's their decision, as I am sure they would have a reason to. Not like RIM execs and development staff are sitting up in their offices in Canada saying "Hey, how do you think we can screw with the BB users when we release this new device? I know, lets leave 3G off of this new device we are making on purpose!".

Of course, until this thing ACTUALLY comes out or there are some ACTUAL HARD SPECS OF IT, then all any of this is, is just a bunch of rumors that circulate around the internet just like the supposed "front facing camera on the bold", the "tabbed browsing on OS 4.3+" etc.

See my point?

Hell, there haven't even been any videos or pictures of a Javelin with the screen ACTUALLY TURNED ON, let alone hard evidence.

That's what the internet has turned into now-a-days...Everyone hears something and all of a sudden it runs like wild-fire and everyone starts running it as pure fact.

Chill out, wait until more information comes in, and then, if you really want your feelings to be known and want RIM to 'splain themselves, feel free to give them a call: 877-746-7253

ahhh... thank you N8DBB ...... now you are making sense. "Thats why the sky is blue''

To be honest the reason why I started ranting was because it wouldnt surprise me if RIM did something like this. After taking this long to release a 3G device anything is possible with RIM. Thats why I am so quick to jump the gun.

But if it comes out... and it doesnt have 3G.... im coming for you...N8DBB

beejreit no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    isnt it just an update curve, its got GPS and WiFi, it'll probably cost less, and hopefully its out on CDMA, cus then I'd upgrade from pearl 8130, 3g is alright, but web browsing on blackberry no matter how fast isn't the greatest.

its smaller than the bold, more consumer friendly for those of us who dont want to wear our belt clip outside the office

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Correct...It's not an update...It's a replacement...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast