Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just want to throw this out there re: my 8330 and se if anyone ... General Blackberry forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Anyone know of a diagnostic BB application?

Advertisement

I just want to throw this out there re: my 8330 and se if anyone has a clue. I'm having more and more "hour glass" churning and it's about to drive me crazy. I'm now Verizon (from Alltel), OS 4.5.0.160 for a long time, haven't made any significant changes recently.

When I reboot to stop the churning I have about 24 mb of free storage. I'll look at free memory an hour or two later and it's around 15mb - 4-5 hours later it's 8-9mb. Where in hell is my free memory going? I'm not doing much if any internet browsing and, if I do, I am careful to clear cache often. That doesn't help.

Although I have quite a few apps on the BB, the only apps that I run normally are SocialScope and WeatherBerry. My activity is mostly email and I don't keep many of them for long - in other words, I don't keep stuff forever.

IS anyone else experiencing this hour-glass churning like I am. It goes on constantly and seems to happen any time I do anything on the phone.

I realize that I could delete ALL the apps from my phone and see if it does it and, if not add them back one by one. Life's too short to have to spend a month analyzing this problem in that manner.

Does anyone know of a diagnostic app that can tell me what's churning on my phone all the time?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I would first look at the Event Log (ALT + L G L G key combo). But, this is EXACTLY what drove me to finally retire my replacement 8120. The first one which I had for 14 months was never this bad before the trackball crapped, but the replacement drove me INSANE.

Look thru App World under Utilities for memory apps.

I can look at the Event Log but I don't know how to interpret the info on it so it's fairly useless to me. I know that it tracks info about what the device is doing/has done but I've never seen any piece of info on it that was meaningful to me.

I'd DL App World if I KNEW there was something useful on it but just to look for something - no, thanks anyway.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    JBlackfish,

A couple of apps that might help are "Meterberry" ($4) and "Kisses" (free). Sorry that I'm mobile now so I can't provide the links but hopefully they may be what you are looking for. I'll try and provide them later when I get home.
    Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/1280; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

Last edited by cgaliffi; 12-31-2009 at 01:44 PM.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    JBlackfish,

Here are the links to MeterBerry and Kisses (Don't ask me where/how they came up with this name):

http://software.crackberry.com/produ...mation-Utility

http://software.crackberry.com/produ...43892&n=Kisses

Hope these help

Quote Originally Posted by cgaliffi View Post
    JBlackfish,

A couple of apps that might help are "Meterberry" ($4) and "Kisses" (free). Sorry that I'm mobile now so I can't provide the links but hopefully they may be what you are looking for. I'll try and provide them later when I get home.
    Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.17405/1280; U; en) Presto/2.2.0
    Thanks for the suggestions, cgaliffi. Meterberry is better than anything else I've found and I may try it. Although the "garbage collector" is supposed to recover unused memory, that is only treating the symptom. What I'd really like to find is something that will give me information re: WHAT is using up the memory - i.e. give me a chance to determine the cause.

Kisses seems to be a spyware detector - I don't think will help me.

It MAY be the OS that's causing the problem and, therefore, not fixable without a new release. That'll be a problem because all the new work seems (to me) to be aimed at the newer devices.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I've gone through this. I have wiped and reloaded many OS's and apps. If you don't want to do that, it just might be time for a new device.

cb4studabaker no está en línea Stack level 3
    I went through this to I downloaded sonic off bb app world n when I got tat my memory drained like crazy I had like 25 mb n it went to 5 mb then I deleted sonic n it went to normal now I'm back at 25 mb delete the last thing you downloaded n the phone should go back to normal I think n its a app you just got to find which one

Erica may be right. It may be time for an upgrade.
    To Studabaker: it's been going on so long it's probably not the last thing I DL'd - it's probably something I DL'd months ago and that's what make it so disgusting. I shouldn't have put up with it so long.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    JB, do you use Ubertwitter, or Viigo? Both of those apps killed my memory when I used them. Which kinda sucks because UT is a great Twitter app.

Moto, I have UT on my BB but seldom use it. In fact, I only use it if SocialScope is down and that IS rare for sure. I don't have Viigo any more.

The memory loss doesn't seem to be related to either SS or WeatherBerry, both of which I use often. The only other thing that runs all the time is Berry-A-Code and all that does is identify the city of a caller that's not on my contact list. That doesn't run much because I don't get that many calls.

It may eithr be the OS or the device.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    http://www.berryreview.com/2009/10/3...a-memory-leak/ . This may help, may not. Not sure why your having such an issue right now.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Mine was acting up too, that's one of the things that pushed me towards something new.

BTW, droid does.........tell you what's eating your battery and has apps that tell you what's using your memory and lets you kill it if you want.......just saying
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    JB I was running the .160 for a while and I had the same issues so I down graded to the .138 and I get less hour glassing. The .138 seems to be a lot more stable an os than the .160

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    I also tried deleting apps and reinstalling them. I really think it is the os. If I set berryweather to no updating I could get the memory leak to slow a little but the hour glassing was still there. I usually had pinstack and berryweather running in the back ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast