Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

My company just implemented two new "security" features for all mobile devices that access the ... General Blackberry forum

  1. #1
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Advertisement



    My company just implemented two new "security" features for all mobile devices that access the network (99% Blackberry's). The first is that we needed to lock the phone with a 5 digit password. The second (part of the first actually) is that if the device is left unattended or unsed for 20 minutes it automatically locks, requiring the password to access it again. Now here is my problem; this BB is my personal phone. I paid for it, and it is my primary cell. Under "General Settings", within "Security Options" I notice that they have enabled (locked actually) the "password" setting. This means that I probably cant change this. However, I was wondering if there is any application or setting I can change that will keep my phone from going into "locked" mode. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Rcbjr's Avatar
    Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Posts
    14,848

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    It really doesn't matter if it's a company phone, or your personal phone, as long as you are connecting to your Company BES, your will have to abide by the Policies imposed on the connected devices. You could temporarily perform a workaround, first time it connected to the BES the policy would be reinvoked and you would probably have problems if it attracted the attention of a BES Admin, for a violation of company security policy. I'm sure you do not want that attention.

    You really only have three options,
    1. Abide by the Security Policy
    2. Convince your IT department that you don't need their policy applied to your phone.
    3. Get the BES to Remove your BB from the BES and then you'll have to install a blank IT policy.


    Sorry to disappoint
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

  3. #3
    takeshi's Avatar
    takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    If you want full control of your BB then keep it off the company BES.

  4. #4
    LaTuFu's Avatar
    LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Posts
    7,861

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Yep. Doesn't matter who owns the device. If you agree to allow the BES service onto your phone, you agree to abide by the company's IT policy. Like Rcb said, your choice is either live within the rules of the BES, or opt out of it and have it removed from your phone.

    Sounds like you work for my company. Almost identical IT policy, and they don't supply the device or pay the monthly service charges either. So I do not use the BES. I kept mine with BIS only.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

  5. #5
    pck20's Avatar
    pck20 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    PIN/ID
    215C77CB
    Posts
    17

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    My company has a similar policy as well but if you look in options-security options-general settings there is a setting "Allow Outgoing calls While Locked" If your policy allows you to change that to Yes, you can make calls without having to unlock your device. If not, maybe you can plead with your administrator to change that portion as it doesn't compromise any security.

  6. #6
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    Yep. Doesn't matter who owns the device. If you agree to allow the BES service onto your phone, you agree to abide by the company's IT policy. Like Rcb said, your choice is either live within the rules of the BES, or opt out of it and have it removed from your phone.

    Sounds like you work for my company. Almost identical IT policy, and they don't supply the device or pay the monthly service charges either. So I do not use the BES. I kept mine with BIS only.
    Ok, is it possible to still receive my company email without using the BES then? Can I setup my BB to access my email through the Exchange server instead?

  7. #7
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by pck20
    My company has a similar policy as well but if you look in options-security options-general settings there is a setting "Allow Outgoing calls While Locked" If your policy allows you to change that to Yes, you can make calls without having to unlock your device. If not, maybe you can plead with your administrator to change that portion as it doesn't compromise any security.
    Interesting! So I noticed they did not lock that feature and so I changed it to "yes". I will report back the next time it locks to tell you if it worked. While we are discussing this, is anyone aware of a way for only the BES (corporate) email to stay locked? It would be great if all the other functions (SMS, BB Messenger, etc) were still accessable without entering the password, AND the corporate email would still be secure? That would be ideal!

  8. #8
    BenMarvin's Avatar
    BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez
    Ok, is it possible to still receive my company email without using the BES then? Can I setup my BB to access my email through the Exchange server instead?
    Yes, your IT department should be able to help you with that. Get you the server addresses and logins and such to set it up. Especially if it's your personal Blackberry, that's the route I would choose. If all that ties your Blackberry to the company is email, then do that. As long as they're not messing with your Calendar and locking out text messaging and other stuff.

  9. #9
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin
    Yes, your IT department should be able to help you with that. Get you the server addresses and logins and such to set it up. Especially if it's your personal Blackberry, that's the route I would choose. If all that ties your Blackberry to the company is email, then do that. As long as they're not messing with your Calendar and locking out text messaging and other stuff.
    Other than the corporate email, the only thing that has anything to do with my work is calendar synchronization. Can both of these be set up without the BES? Is there anything particular I need to tell them to do?

  10. #10
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by pck20
    My company has a similar policy as well but if you look in options-security options-general settings there is a setting "Allow Outgoing calls While Locked" If your policy allows you to change that to Yes, you can make calls without having to unlock your device. If not, maybe you can plead with your administrator to change that portion as it doesn't compromise any security.
    Ok so I set it to "Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked" and let it sit for a while unused. It then went into locked mode. When I hit any key one of the options was "Make Call" and I could select it without entering in the unlock code! I was hoping to not have to do anything, but this is certainly better for making a quick call if I am half asleep, driving, or any other situation where entering a password would be hard/dangerous. Thanks!

  11. #11
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez
    Other than the corporate email, the only thing that has anything to do with my work is calendar synchronization. Can both of these be set up without the BES? Is there anything particular I need to tell them to do?
    If anyone can clarify this for me that would be great, as I would like to move away from my corporate BES if possible.

  12. #12
    Dubdub's Avatar
    Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4
    Posts
    653

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez
    If anyone can clarify this for me that would be great, as I would like to move away from my corporate BES if possible.

    You can only have wireless calendar sync with BES, either via your corporate access or through a hosted BES solution such as exchangemymail or mailstreet. You can sync calendar and contact info using Desktop Manager but it is not "real time".

    If your company will allow it, you could access email via BIS, which is similar to a POP3 or IMAP. Only your IT can answer that question however.

  13. #13
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub
    You can only have wireless calendar sync with BES, either via your corporate access or through a hosted BES solution such as exchangemymail or mailstreet. You can sync calendar and contact info using Desktop Manager but it is not "real time".

    If your company will allow it, you could access email via BIS, which is similar to a POP3 or IMAP. Only your IT can answer that question however.
    Is that method of email retrieval push or manual?

  14. #14
    BenMarvin's Avatar
    BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez
    Is that method of email retrieval push or manual?
    It would be push.

  15. #15
    wifi4milez's Avatar
    wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    234

    Re: Any workaround for my companies "security" update?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin
    It would be push.
    Great, thanks. Would the email settings I need be those for the Exchange server, or are they BES specific?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •