Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a Sprint 8830 WE, and I see they finally released OS 4.5! Is ... General Blackberry forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Any way to upgrade the OS via OTA?

Advertisement

I have a Sprint 8830 WE, and I see they finally released OS 4.5! Is there anyway to do the OS upgrade OTA (over the air) instead of using the DM manager? Also, when the OS is upgraded do I lose all the programs I have installed? How about my settings?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    There is a wireless option for OS upgrades, but I believe that's only for BBs on BES.

So you will have to use your Desktop.

As for the 3rd party apps and settings it should save them all. It does depend on the application if it saves the settings.

Most will lose your settings in them and you will have to set it up again.

Just make sure you have the latest Desktop Manager and Backup before you upgrade. And backup when you upgrade. You can never be too safe.

I am on BES, does this mean my corporate BES server needs to be hosting the upgraded OS though? If not, how do I upgrade the OS via the BES?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Yeah it would mean that your company had it setup to do so. Although I believe it's only available for the later OSs.

If you have the option it's located under

Options> Advanced Options> Wireless Update.

I've never actually done this so I'm not sure how this works. Your best bet is to do this with your Desktop Manager. Also with the Desktop you can backup just in case anything goes wrong.

Unfortunately that option isnt listed in my settings. The other issue is that using DM wipes all my BES settings and erases my contacts/etc. Are you aware of a way to use DM while preserving all the existing settings? Basically, I would like to use DM once, not install the DM 'client' on my device (or pair with my device), just so I can get the OS on the device.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Here's the thing with BES...

Your contacts and calendar are saved OTA... Therefore when you do a backup, you can't save them...

And you will have to install DM 4.6 (preferrably), run a backup, download an OS, install it to your PC and then use DM to install the OS to your device.

This will take approx 45 mins and then you will have to contact your IT admin to give you a password to re activate your BES...

This will bring back all your Contacts and Calendar events...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Its actually even more complicated on my end. While my calendar entries are done via OTA, my contacts are all personal (not corporate) and thus are not stored remotely. To accomplish this (the first time) I had to sync using DM, then that copied all the contacts to my work outlook. Then I had to contact the BES admin and get my phone set up to connect to the BES. THEN (the following day since this process takes a while) I had to uncheck wireless sync on the device's contacts options, DELETE all the contacts stored in outlook (again, since they are just personal contacts), then configure all other settings. Its all very frustrating and time consuming, especially since we no longer have a dedicated Blackberry admin at my company. I now need to open a ticket, so this means I could be using a non-configured BB for up to 3 days before somebody (likely outsourced) contacts me for the initial BES setup.....

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Yikes... Man uve got a long few days ahead of ya...

Question

Any reason you suggest using DM 4.6 instead of 4.7? They are both available for download at the BB site.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez View Post
    Any reason you suggest using DM 4.6 instead of 4.7? They are both available for download at the BB site.
    4.7 seems to have many many problems according to many many people... Although I have experienced none... but just to be on the safe side...

Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    Yikes... Man uve got a long few days ahead of ya...

I actually got the new OS loaded, and it only took a few hours! I do have one big question/concern however. On 4.2 (or whatever it was) I was able to have my email dedicated to the "message" box, and all my calls (missed, placed, etc), as well as my text messages were under the "phone" menu. I cant seem to find the way to set this up on 4.5, can anyone help?? I really want the two boxes separate, as I only want my corporate email to be in its own dedicated menu (they way 4.2 was by default if I recall actually).

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Not bad... Not bad at all...

Ok, so right now are you getting your sms in your main messages folder? To change that, you go into messages,options, general options, and scroll down to "sms and email inboxes" and chabge that to "seperate"

Next, if you want to have your call log show up in your messages foler,go into the phone app, click the options, go into "call logging" and you can make your selection for all calls or missed calls...

That ought to do it...

Ok thanks, your tips worked well and now everything is in the right place! However, a few new issues seemed to have cropped up. First, my 'berry seems much more sluggish than before. Whereas it used to be lightening quick, it now kind of hangs and reminds me of my old Windows Mobile devices (and the reason I switched to BB!). Is this normal? Can I do anything to remedy this?

Secondly, the new system font bothers me. Its too wide and seems blurry (yet also sometimes too thin and small!) to me so its hard to read. Do you happen to know what the old system font (and size) was so that I can set it back?

My final issue is that since I did my enterprise activation this morning, only the emails SINCE then are showing up. There are hundreds of other emails sitting in my outlook inbox that never synced, even when I hit reconcile now. That seems unusual, is there a workaround?

PIN/ID
    ask me
    1. It may seem that way, but I think it speeds back up after a couple of battery pulls...

2. You can change the font from the device options "screen / keyboard" option. I use bbcasual, size 7, bold... Try that...

3. As far as emails, don't think they'll come back onto the device, unless you can outlook sync them...

Seems like I'm the bearer of bad news yet again...

I will mess around with the fonts more later. However, the sluggishness still seems to be a problem even after a few resets. It seems the worst when I have an email coming in; the entire phone basically freezes up until the message has downloaded. Very frustrating I might add! Also, as part of the 4.5 package I installed "Blacbkerry MDS runtime" and Blackberry MDS Default Launcher". Do I actually need either of these, what do they do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast