Hi, Just want to check what is the expected signal level of BB. Mine is ... General Blackberry forum

JackyYap no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Any one has signal problem?

Advertisement

Hi,
    Just want to check what is the expected signal level of BB. Mine is a 8707g, the signal level is often only 60% (3/5) of the max. Throughout the day, it will swing from 20% to 60% of the 3G*, as well as swing to 40% of the GPRS.

Type Of Blackberry: 8707g
    Your Service Provider: StarHub
    Your Operating System: v4.10.378 (look under the Options-About)
    Your Location: Singapore
    Min Signal: 40% GPRS
    Max Signal: 60% 3G*

My colleague is holding a Nokia E61, signal is always 100% 3G*. Not sure if it is BB problem or my particular set!

Let me know your info as follows:
    Type Of Blackberry:
    Your Service Provider:
    Your Operating System:
    Your Location:
    Min Signal:
    Max Signal:

Thanks!

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Any one has signal problem?

Quote Originally Posted by JackyYap
    Hi,
    Just want to check what is the expected signal level of BB. Mine is a 8707g, the signal level is often only 60% (3/5) of the max. Throughout the day, it will swing from 20% to 60% of the 3G*, as well as swing to 40% of the GPRS.

Type Of Blackberry: 8707g
    Your Service Provider: StarHub
    Your Operating System: v4.10.378 (look under the Options-About)
    Your Location: Singapore
    Min Signal: 40% GPRS
    Max Signal: 60% 3G*

My colleague is holding a Nokia E61, signal is always 100% 3G*. Not sure if it is BB problem or my particular set!

Let me know your info as follows:
    Type Of Blackberry:
    Your Service Provider:
    Your Operating System:
    Your Location:
    Min Signal:
    Max Signal:

Thanks!
    I don't use the 8707 but i'd always expect the signal to flux as you move etc.. It sounds a bit fishy for any device (especially a Nokia) to always show 100% signal.

YOu can get a slightly more accurate reading on your signal if you switch the signal icon to read in dB. hold alt and type nmll, you'll see it switch. do it again to change back...

Interesting to see what other folk have to say about their 8707's tho.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

dB is more useful if you want to compare reception from device to device.

Signal level varies greatly (from nothing to excellent coverage) so I don't see the point of this thread as you'll always find dead spots and areas with better or worse coverage.

Now, if you wanted to pick a specific location -- that could be useful.

JackyYap no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks miles_troope for the tips!

takeshi, you are right, but what I am saying is the signal that we experience during normal usage. At the same location, some time the signal also flux a lot.

I am not too concerned about the actual dB. I just want to make sure that the phone is working in accordance to its specification. From a layman perspective, this phone is designed to have 5 signal levels, but if it never reaches level 5, then sometime is very wrong. Logical right?

What I am trying to do here is to see what are the rest experiencing. Such issue could be due to Network, faulty phone antenna, SIM card, etc.

I just got my phone, and I want to ensure it has nothing to do with phone or SIM card, if it has, then I am going to dump back to the sales to give me a new working one.

I had a Nokia phone before, when I got it, the signal flux from 40-60%, when I dumped back to the sales, I got one that is 100% strong.

The same applies for my DLink router. So it is important for all of us to ensure that we do not get a faulty phone on day one.

I saw some postings from other users and I have serious reservations. Some got phone that could have no signal at times, some attempted to solve using booster, but the issue here is, you paid for a phone that would ease your life. If it is otherwise, then you should not accept the phone. If there are faults, then no matter how you boost, it is still limited, furthermore, you should not pay to boost for something that are supposed to be there in the first place.

Moreover, no matter whether it is network issue or phone issue, all of us should feedback to the respective personnel so that they have a chance to improve, as well as warn other forum users here about unreliable operators or phone model.

Agree?

So, still hoping for all to share info as follows:
    Type Of Blackberry:
    Your Service Provider:
    Your Operating System:
    Your Location (Country):
    Min Signal:
    Max Signal:

Thanks!