Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I think I lost my baby! My son put my bb in a cup of ... General Blackberry forum

nursebetty no está en línea Stack level 2

Any help for water damage?

Advertisement

I think I lost my baby! My son put my bb in a cup of koolaid last nite. So I took the battery out and blowdried it for about 5 min. Then I got on stack later & read that you can use rice to absorb the moisture. Well so far it hasn't helped heal my bb!

This is exactly what my bb's been doing: I downloaded OS 4.5 yesterday. Afterwards the led has constantly stayed red. Since the dipping, it won't come on and the led will stay red for a few seconds then blink. And if I hook it to the comp, the trackball color (green) will turn on.

The strip on the bottom of the battery still has its x's too.

I don't know what to do, & I can't afford to buy another one! Can anyone help?! :cry:
    Say aaaaaahhhhhhhhh......

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    You may be able to take a hair dryer on low heat and low force and try to dry it out more.

The problem with koolaid is it contains sweeteners. Even with all the liquid gone, some crystals will remain. They themselves won't cause any problems, but they attract any kind of moisture, including the humidity in the air.

You may also want to look up one of the tutorials for taking your particular model apart. You'll be able to do a better job of cleaning it out and making sure it's dry.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks! Can you point me in the direction of the tutorials you mean, please?

Thanks again so much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nursebetty View Post
    Thanks! Can you point me in the direction of the tutorials you mean, please?

Thanks again so much!!!!
    There's a very good tutorial for Pearl disassembly at YouTube - just open www dot youtube dot com and type "blackberry 8100" into the search field. When I did it just now, a great disassembly tutorial was second from the top in the search results.

About a year ago (perhaps less) I dropped an 8700g into (gross!) the toilet, and all I needed to do was take it apart, dab it dry, let it set for a day then put it back together. Worked great. But I'm concerned about the sugar in the koolaid in your case - using a dryer may melt the sugar on your handheld and wreck it for good, whereas just taking it apart and letting it dry out for a few days may allow the sugar to dry out and "flake off" so to speak -

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    There is a Great Tut for water damage, Sounds silly but it does actually work.
    Im Sure someone has it around here. They will post, Or your can just SEARCH for water damage help . im sure it will come up

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for the help. I've had my bb for less than a month, & I'm completely addicted. It's hard using a regular cellphone again! Man do I hope it works!

sehra4177 no está en línea Stack level 1
    mine was dropped in hot tea by my daughter i just dried it and it works still.. the only prob is it reboots itself every once in awhile.. i just took everything off of it and tapped it on a dry towel untill all the water came out. you may want to see if u have insurance to cover it.

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    The sugar is gonna kill it. Call ur carrier. Beg 4 an upgrade~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetneo View Post
    The sugar is gonna kill it. Call ur carrier. Beg 4 an upgrade~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The sugar actually protects it not kills it. When it crystalizes it prtects the circuits from oxidation and is non-conductive to electricity. But as was stated it does attract other residue and liquid naturally along with still keeping the unit from functioning till it is cleaned off.

Zo

Actually it was w/ artificial sweetner. Is that gonna make a difference? I haven't gotten a chance to take it apart bc I need to get the right size allen wrench. I'm really hoping that will fix it, but I'm not holding out much hope bc it's still acting whack after two nites in the rice. And I can't get mine replaced by insurance bc I don't have any (got my bb used off ebay).

Are you sure the upgrade isn't causing the problem? At least that might be solvable!

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    I would try immersing the circuitry in alcohol when it is disassembled as this will help to remove the gunk. You may wish the repeat a few times as to ensure it is pretty clean.

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Zip Lock Bag + White Rice + Blackberry = Working Phone

Nacho I did try the rice b4 posting. Didn't work. Ok, I have my phone apart now that I've got the right tools. But I don't see any moisture or gunk. So what now? Are you sure it's ok to put rubbing alcohol on it?

Great tutorial by the way, except I couldn't get the sound to work so I used the screen removal one.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180
    Did anyone else hear about this new process - where they take apart your device - spray it with some super water resistant polymer-i think I'm gonna have to do that when I get my Thunder.

Glad things worked out for ya. Btw

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Quote Originally Posted by mcm180 View Post
    Did anyone else hear about this new process - where they take apart your device - spray it with some super water resistant polymer-i think I'm gonna have to do that when I get my Thunder.

Glad things worked out for ya. Btw

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    you got links to this or something? Im sure everyone and there mother on these boards would be interested in getting this done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast