First off, I do not intend this thread to compare features and such of the ... General Blackberry forum

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3

An Alternate Debate on the iPhone and Blackberry comparison

Advertisement

First off, I do not intend this thread to compare features and such of the iPhone. I am intending this to be a discussion that takes a view that is not looked at much anymore and that I feel to be very important. More and more recently I have been thinking about smartphones. Honestly, I think people are forgetting about the primary purpose of a smart phone; to be a phone first and everything else second (while this may not apply to business users, it does apply to consumers). This is the number one reason why I switched from windows mobile. As a phone, it was incrediby unreliable.

I also must point that consumer smartphones are moving away from what a phone should be. Phones are a way of connecting with people and ensuing relationships (personal, business, friends, etc). However with the move towards multimedia phones, we are finding ourselves able to disconnect with everything. As you are able to watch endless videos, listen to music, and surf the internet where ever you are; phones have actually become a way to disconnect with the world. Now a days you see more people looking at their cell phone at a dinner table then you see them communicating with others at that same table. Instead of engaging in conversation between classes at my college (GA Tech) people are listening to music up until a few seconds of class beginning. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I do want to state that I am not saying that I am correct, but it is something that intrigues me. I hope people will find my comments a way of expressing their thoughts for or against in a legitimate argument as opposed to just a flame. I am open to both frames of mind. Please let me know what you think. I also must state that I am in NO WAY not technology savy. I love technology and you will find few people that keep up with it as much as I do (I am an engineer after all). I just think we are almost moving backwards socially. You are more than welcome to prove me wrong!

EDIT: On a personal note, this is the reason why I own a blackberry. It allows me to connect for productivity purposes. I do not feel the need to own an iPhone or any other phone that allows me to disconnect and will probably never feel the need to own one of these phones.
    Last edited by gatechfireblade; 08-11-2008 at 01:36 PM.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    I agree with you. I have a blackberry pearl, and had my 1gb memory card full of music, but realized that I never listen to it.

I've been raised to respect eating at the table and leaving everything technological in my room. That means that for 45 minutes to 1 hour, no music, no emails, or games. Just a family eating and talking about their day. Same applies for restaurants.

I think we're becoming more and more dependent on technology to communicate, and this will inevitably fail us one day.

Long gone are the days where we wrote each other letters.....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ej
    ej no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    280A5A37
    i think that this applies to technology in general. i remember when i was younger the only things that were for me to do was play atari watch tv or go outside. i did the latter of the three. i think alot of us did. i went to my old highschool, this was a place that prided themselves off of sports, but it started when we were young(i went to a military school) we were always outside playing sports or racing. last week i didn't see no more than 15 kids out. it's a real struggle to get people away from their gadgets to be more active/social now. just my .02
    wreckless music
    makin the hits

www.wrecklessmusic.bravehost.com

add me on myspace www.myspace.com/wreckless_music

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    I think it boils down to how you use the "device". If you have to have it for work, you tend to want to spend less personal time on the device. If it just a "toy", the like any toy, it can and will distract from the purpose of the device..."Communication".

bbua88 no está en línea Stack level 2
    so true, I always have my BB in my hand, sometimes I check it without realizing I checked it, no wonder its often referred to as the crackberry

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbee View Post
    I think it boils down to how you use the "device". If you have to have it for work, you tend to want to spend less personal time on the device. If it just a "toy", the like any toy, it can and will distract from the purpose of the device..."Communication".
    I completely agree with this. But the fact is, phones such as the iPhone are no longer allowing this option. With a phone being marketed as heavily as it is for media, it is a Toy. There is no option for it to be or not.

mrpg no está en línea Stack level 1
    Or maybe its causing the basement shut-in types to to come out the basement per say. Now their addictions travels with them and in time being out more causes the addiction to weaken and they become more social.

<shrugs>

Personally I want a computer in my pocket, with all the functions I get from a desktop. Computers and the internet in general are such a valuable tool. I may be daft but I think they can compliment almost any area in life. So to have that in my pocket is a win win for me. I use it socialize, stay in touch, manage my life and business and even day to day stuff, now I can make reservations with zagat.mobi! Do I really need to sit on the phone for that?

I think it boils down to the mind set of the user. It's like um.. alcohol for example. It can feed an underline problem and make it worse but the issue was there and would've been fed by something else because thats what we do, we seek out what makes us comfortable, even when that comfort is obviously self destructive.
    Last edited by mrpg; 08-11-2008 at 03:39 PM.

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    I'd have never thought about the scenario (directly) above if it was never brought up. I agree that it MAY get hermits out since they can now enjoy all their gadgets and remain mobile.
    However in reality a basement tech junkie will just buy the device and go back to his basement. What I've noticed is that basement junkies don't avoid society because they love technology, instead they love technology because its a means of avoiding society.

Anyways although I LOVE my blackberry and my laptop and the internet and video games,I agree with the OP. My little brother is NEVER outside anymore, he will watch the same episode of the same show 5 times before going outside. but its a chain effect. Noone goes outside to play anymore so even if he wanted to be outside, there woyld be noone to play with! That sucks! Even before this thread I have thought to myself "man, we used to play kickball with perfect strangers, what happenned?"
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~