Hello everyone -- hope everyone is well. A friend of mine is looking to buy ... General Blackberry forum

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3

Alternatives to BES based BB's

Advertisement

Hello everyone -- hope everyone is well. A friend of mine is looking to buy a BB -- one for him, one for a partner. They are not going the "BES route" and are looking for alternatives -- specifically, one of those outside service providers who (I think) acts as your (kind of) "outside BES" person. There is one or two specific who were recommended to me here, but I forget the names.

Do I have the concept right here (minus of course the proper lingo, LOL)?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    If you just purchase a Blackberry from any carrier and activate it with a normal blackberry plan (BIS) or blackberry internet service, then you should be good to go. Only a blackberry activated on a company's BES (blackberry enterprise server) software will be a "BES blackberry".
    via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

CrazEtooN no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245FA336
    They could always just sign up for personal BIS plans and use Google Sync as a calendar syncing solution. I am not 100% following your question though, so...

OK -- I thought there were outside providers who were, acted as, etc. a substitue for having a BES inside your company. There were a few of these "conduit" tech providors, you paid them a few bucks a month.

Am I really wrong here? I really wish I remember the name of the provider.

Sorry I can't be more accurate here -- but then again, I am the tech idiot.

Any help? Thank you.

Eric

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    There may be 3rd party services that host a BES from their servers, which may be cost-effective for a small business, etc. But for a personal Blackberry, 99.9% of users would have no use for that. Stick with one of the big 4 carriers (or the smaller 20), and a plain vanilla blackberry data plan (IE, no corporate email), and you should be good to go.

Edit:
    Maybe this is the type of service you were referring to?
    http://www.exchangemymail.com/wirele...blackberry.asp

Got it!!!

Mailstreet.com

Apparently (if my memory serves me correct), you go to them and set up a mailstreet account, where they act as your "mail agent" or something to that effect. You have your BB e-mails go through them -- to and from your BB -- and it's as if you have a BES . . . or something like that.

This was the set up or arrangement I was looking to recommend to my friend as he didn't want to go web based (I think).

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    There may be 3rd party services that host a BES from their servers, which may be cost-effective for a small business, etc. But for a personal Blackberry, 99.9% of users would have no use for that. Stick with one of the big 4 carriers (or the smaller 20), and a plain vanilla blackberry data plan (IE, no corporate email), and you should be good to go.

Edit:
    Maybe this is the type of service you were referring to?
    http://www.exchangemymail.com/wirele...blackberry.asp
    Posts crossed in cyberspace, LOL.

My friend is a small busines, kind of a start up. But he and his partner want to stay in touch, sync, etc. -- so they wanted BB's, but didn't want to spend the money on a BES.

I guess this is an alternative.

Thank you all for the help -- and for the patience!

Eric

CrazEtooN no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245FA336
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Idiot View Post
    Got it!!!

Mailstreet.com

Apparently (if my memory serves me correct), you go to them and set up a mailstreet account, where they act as your "mail agent" or something to that effect. You have your BB e-mails go through them -- to and from your BB -- and it's as if you have a BES . . . or something like that.

This was the set up or arrangement I was looking to recommend to my friend as he didn't want to go web based (I think).

Eric
    WHOA! Stop! You are about to go through completely unnecessary steps to do exactly what a BIS plan will do. A BIS plan is the BES counterpart for individuals and small businesses. For 2 people, it will be $60 a month through At&t ($30 each), and they will each get their own BlackBerry specific email, as well as the ability to sync up to 10 personal/corporate email accounts to their devices. The only major differences between BES and BIS is that BIS doesn't offer full calendar syncing and the devices can't be remotely managed (for the most part, I know there is more, but I am keeping it simple).

Anyway, with BIS, they still get the instant push email abilities that make BlackBerrys so great, so the middle man mail redirector service is total unnecessary. If they directly sync their work email with the BlackBerry, the biggest delay they will see in getting their mail is 15 minutes, but it is often much faster. If they really NEED to have it instant, they can set up forwarding filters in their work email boxes to forward all received messages to their respective BlackBerry email addresses and they will now have instant push email.

To make up for the lack of calendar syncing, they can use Outlook on their PCs and sync the Outlook to Google Calendar, from there they can install the Google Sync app on their BlackBerrys and sync the Berry calendar to Google. This is essentially the same as syncing their calendar to Outlook. It may not have all the same functionality as BES, but for free, its worth a shot.

All I am really getting at is that a 3rd party middle man is almost nothing more than an unnecessary waste of money and time. Have your friends look into Google Calendar/Sync and see how they can make it work for them before going crazy with 3rd party "BES replacements."

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    The price of running a BES is a little steep for a small business with just 2 Blackberries. However I don't think it's necessary to go the route of a hosted BES. With a regular plan, you can still email like normal, as said before you can sync calendars without a BES as well.
    Do you know what sort of solution your friend is looking for exactly? Perhaps I'm wrong and the BES is just what they need.

BTW, for more info on a hosted BES:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...osted_bes.html

Quote Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
    WHOA! Stop! You are about to go through completely unnecessary steps to do exactly what a BIS plan will do. A BIS plan is the BES counterpart for individuals and small businesses. For 2 people, it will be $60 a month through At&t ($30 each), and they will each get their own BlackBerry specific email, as well as the ability to sync up to 10 personal/corporate email accounts to their devices. The only major differences between BES and BIS is that BIS doesn't offer full calendar syncing and the devices can't be remotely managed (for the most part, I know there is more, but I am keeping it simple).

Anyway, with BIS, they still get the instant push email abilities that make BlackBerrys so great, so the middle man mail redirector service is total unnecessary. If they directly sync their work email with the BlackBerry, the biggest delay they will see in getting their mail is 15 minutes, but it is often much faster. If they really NEED to have it instant, they can set up forwarding filters in their work email boxes to forward all received messages to their respective BlackBerry email addresses and they will now have instant push email.

To make up for the lack of calendar syncing, they can use Outlook on their PCs and sync the Outlook to Google Calendar, from there they can install the Google Sync app on their BlackBerrys and sync the Berry calendar to Google. This is essentially the same as syncing their calendar to Outlook. It may not have all the same functionality as BES, but for free, its worth a shot.

All I am really getting at is that a 3rd party middle man is almost nothing more than an unnecessary waste of money and time. Have your friends look into Google Calendar/Sync and see how they can make it work for them before going crazy with 3rd party "BES replacements."
    Super advice -- got it -- and thanks!!!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    The price of running a BES is a little steep for a small business with just 2 Blackberries. However I don't think it's necessary to go the route of a hosted BES. With a regular plan, you can still email like normal, as said before you can sync calendars without a BES as well.
    Do you know what sort of solution your friend is looking for exactly? Perhaps I'm wrong and the BES is just what they need.

BTW, for more info on a hosted BES:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...osted_bes.html

I have actually forwarded this thread to him. I also recommended a local IT consultant who I've used and been very happy with (they've saved my life a few times, LOL).

For whatever reason, and I have no real understanding as to specifically why, they wanted to avoid "web based" e-mail. Yes, they wanted "push" and all that, and while I don't think they understand the nuances like all of you, he was probably basing his wants, desires, etc. on perhaps small amounts of truth and accurate info, and perhaps a lot on false and inaccurate info. I know the wirless sync of their calenders was specifically mentioned and he very much liked/wanted to be able to have his assistant (in the office) book a meeting, and have it appear on his BB (without having to sync, go to a website, etc.).

Anyway, thank you all again for the help.

Eric

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Idiot View Post
    I have actually forwarded this thread to him. I also recommended a local IT consultant who I've used and been very happy with (they've saved my life a few times, LOL).

For whatever reason, and I have no real understanding as to specifically why, they wanted to avoid "web based" e-mail. Yes, they wanted "push" and all that, and while I don't think they understand the nuances like all of you, he was probably basing his wants, desires, etc. on perhaps small amounts of truth and accurate info, and perhaps a lot on false and inaccurate info. I know the wirless sync of their calenders was specifically mentioned and he very much liked/wanted to be able to have his assistant (in the office) book a meeting, and have it appear on his BB (without having to sync, go to a website, etc.).

Anyway, thank you all again for the help.

Eric
    With BIS, you can either use the blackberry.net email address or a web-based email address, such as gmail, etc. But all the emails are still pushed directly to the handheld once it is setup with that account. No need to check email on a website.

Also, as mentioned before, you can use outlook or google calendar and have it wirelessly sync to the handheld by a number of different syncing tools. The google calendar solution would be completely free. And someone could enter an appointment on either the handheld or the calendar on the desktop and it would sync within minutes to the other side.