Hi all here's the question, my new 8130 pearl has about 5 days left on ... General Blackberry forum

lesawag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

advice..

Advertisement

Hi all here's the question, my new 8130 pearl has about 5 days left on the first 30 days and I've noticed the hang up key and the op key or making a loud qlicking and poping noise when I push them. Should I exchange my pearl before the 30 days expires?? Thanks. Lesa

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Re: advice..

If you want to and it bothers you I would. My only side note would be that given time, each BB is gonna have its quirks and oddities. So just be prepared. Its impossible to keep them perfect unless you dont use it.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

PIN/ID
    ask

True enough, last night I noticed my trackball light doesn't come on anymore,and it seems its harder to scroll down with it. Its like it gets stuck but now it doesn't light up. ~

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

The popping and clicking noise I was told is normal by 2 CSR from T-Mobile... so I guess there is nothing to do about it since mine does it as well.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by lesawag View Post
    Hi all here's the question, my new 8130 pearl has about 5 days left on the first 30 days and I've noticed the hang up key and the op key or making a loud qlicking and poping noise when I push them. Should I exchange my pearl before the 30 days expires?? Thanks. Lesa
    Yes I would highly suggest you take it back to the store & exchange it for a new one. What many users do not know is that when doing this, the new one also comes with a 30 return policy. Therefore you are insuring that you get a "good one" since you are essentially resetting the clock to day one.
    That said, I also agree that while none are absolutely perfect, you (we) pay a lot of money annually to our respective carriers & in turn deserve the best customer service.

I have personally used this method a couple of times. My first Curve 8310 (at&t) had body creaks after 25 days. I returned it and the new one is just great. I have been using it extensively now for 4 months without any problems. In fact I'm using it now to write this.

So that's my take. I wish you well and feel confident if you choose to return it, you will be happy you did.

Cheers,
    Archer6

PIN/ID
    ask

Thanks for the great advice. Archer6 thanks so much, I did not know I'd get another 30 days. Is it normal for the trackball not to light up?? Well said archer6, I will exchange it today. Thanks again, Lesa

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by lesawag View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. Archer6 thanks so much, I did not know I'd get another 30 days. Is it normal for the trackball not to light up?? Well said archer6, I will exchange it today. Thanks again, Lesa
    At the present time, I have _Five_ of the various BB models with trackballs.
    I am a very heavy BB user, and put as much as 10 hrs a day on them. Non have had any issues with the hardware, whether it be the trackball or anything else. The trackball should indeed light up when you are using your BB. As long as the back light for the display is on the track ball is on, as they are controlled by the same software.

Now, one _caution_ with the trackball, & this applies to all trackballs on BB's or as used with Desktop computers, or mice etc, and that is the dirt and debris issue. Since this is a mechanical moving part, it must be kept clean. It's subject to odd behavior if hair, pocket lint, purse lint / debris, is allowed to get between the ball and the socket it spins in. This for the most part is obvious but in many cases gets overlooked.

I have enjoyed perfect trackball performance, no discoloration, or any other problems with mine because I do the following:

1) Keep my hands clean, therefore the trackball stays clean and does not get stained.
    2) Keep my BB in a case when I put it in my pocket.
    3) Keep my BB in a case when I put it in my briefcase, laptop case, or backpack.
    4) Weekly inspect the trackball for any dirt or debris between the ball and socket.

What if I find anything there during this inspection? I do this:

1) Keep denatured alcohol on hand, as it does not harm anything, not plastic, not the display, nothing. It's the best cleaning agent for electronic items period. This is NOT to be confused with rubbing alcohol which has some additives. Denatured is pure, and evaporates very quickly leaving a clean, dry, surface. About the only place you can easily buy it is at a hardware store like Orchard or a Home Depot, Lowes etc. It comes in a one gallon can (sorry that's how it is) and costs just under $5.00 and will last forever if kept tightly capped.

2) I use a micro fiber cloth, wetted with denatured alcohol and wipe the trackball off, by simply moving the cloth around and rotating the ball until it's completely moist all over. Then I let it air try. (takes a few moments only)

That said, I've only had to actually clean just one of my trackballs on one occasion as I was not paying attention, got rushed and put it in the pocket (without the case) of my jeans which contained the usual amount of lint. Since I remembered within moments of pocketing it, the amount of cleaning required was very minimal.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!