I'm not really sure how to frame this question, but what are the advantages of ... General Blackberry forum

razzmatrazz no está en línea Stack level 1

Advantage of ownership?

Advertisement

I'm not really sure how to frame this question, but what are the advantages of buying a blackberry with no contract, say off of ebay or private sale? Does it make sense considering they are going for roughly the same price in the store?

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: Advantage of ownership?

the only advantage, at least in my opinion is not having to sign up or extend you ontract to get the lower price new. butt if you do purchase new, you get a one year warrenty with the blackberry. plus its new and theres nothing better then a new blackberry.

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatrazz
    I'm not really sure how to frame this question, but what are the advantages of buying a blackberry with no contract, say off of ebay or private sale? Does it make sense considering they are going for roughly the same price in the store?
    Advantage is that if you are patient, you probably get a better price without having to commit to the contract. Ebay offers a 2 year warranty for a tiny (relatively speaking) price. I like to change handhelds with painful regularity (as you can see by my sig below) and purchasing on Ebay is ideal. The negatives are that you oftentimes receive a unit that is locked with a password, has a pain-in-the-butt IT policy, has physical scratches/scuffs, etc. I don't mind the scuffs, and if ya know what to do you can get rid of the password/IT policy. My son's 8700g is currently about $400 from T-Mobile without a contract extension, 250 with a two-year contract, avaeraging (give or take) about 180 to 200 used on Ebay: with a little patience, I got it for a little less than $100 (maybe the seller didn't know what he had) and it works wonderfully. I had to remove an IT policy and upgrade to the 4.2 OS, which took only 60 minutes.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatrazz
    Um, not being stuck with a 1 year or 2 year contract is the advantage.

As for whether it makes sense or not, it really depends on your needs and how comfortable you are buying via ebay or from a private individual. Be aware that you might end up with a BB that isn't unlocked, has a BIS account tied to it, or has IT policies (or may just be defective).