as the subject said. today I added a bbm contact , we did the bar ... General Blackberry forum

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

accepted a bb addressbook entry from a bbm forward. now can't edit or delet

Advertisement

as the subject said. today I added a bbm contact , we did the bar code scan. after we were bbm buddies we forwarded each other our proper addressbook contact info.

so tonight I try and back up my addressbook and I get the error that you see when you have duplicate entries.

"unable to load application" blah blah blah

remaining calm, because I had seen this before and knowing he was the last person I added, I opened up his contact info to see if anything was malformated or he ended up in my address book twice.

I did notice two anomalies with his selfmade profile
    1) he used characters in the number fields (ext 123)
    2) he used hyphens in all his phone numbers.

the odd part is, while in his contact entry the edit option is missing from the menu option. I can only "try" to edit his contact when I am in the addressbook list. then if I try to edit his contact I get the message

"Contact updated externally, Changes will be lost and the viewer closed"

so I next I tried to unlink his bbm profile to my addressbook and just delete him. but the delete option does NOTHING.

the terrible part of the whole thing is that because my last backup failed, my txt file has been zero'ed. the only good backup I have in from a month ago using google sync.

i did contact the person, he was nice enough to clean up his profile without all the stupid characters. I tried to re-merge his new contact info. but the original contact entry still remains.

and yes, I have done a battery pull..

please, any help would be greatly appropriated

thanks

Paul

The only thing I can think of is a restore from a previous backup, but you've already said that can't be the solution - If you've sync'ed your contacts to Outlook recently, there's another possible fix, but you would need to borrow another Berry to do it. If you've done that sync, holler and I'll tell you how to fix it

after some clean ups, I was able to get a good backup of my contacts to a txt file. minus the offending contact.

after securing a good backup i cleared my addybook. But after clearing, I had two contacts that remained and wouldn't allow me to manually delete.

oddly enough, both of these contacts are people who forwarded me their contacts from bbm

after that I just wiped my 8900 and rebuilt.

it will be a while again before I accept a forwarded contact.

Glad that you got it straightened out!

thanks, but it is still unsettling that a forwarded contact could mess up my phone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by paulypaul View Post
    thanks, but it is still unsettling that a forwarded contact could mess up my phone like that.
    Extremely unsettling. But we live and learn in the World of BlackBerry! lol

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Which device are you running, which OS, and what version of BBM? I want to see if I can recreate this issue.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

I have a 8900 running 4.6.1.250, and I am running the newest BBM straight off appworld.