Hi all. Just out of curiosity and nothing else: It seems that new OS versions ... General Blackberry forum

asdf12321 no está en línea Stack level 2

About operating sistem distribution

Advertisement

Hi all. Just out of curiosity and nothing else: It seems that new OS versions are released every so often to one carrier or another. For example, the newest version is for "X" carrier in Singapore, or "Y" carrier in Hongkong. I'm wondering why wouldn't RIM release the newest version to all carriers that carry that model, or at least those whom would benefit from it (needing the same language support, for example). In other words, why let some carriers lag behind in OS versions?

Also, does a carrier has to do its own branding? For example, my carrier adds two .midi files with its corporate tune to every phone they sell, do the blackberries already come with those from RIM as per instructions, or do they (the carrier) have to add them themselves to every unit?

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Re: About operating sistem distribution

I think ive read, that they release all of the newer operating systems at about the same time, to all the carriers. Its the carriers that choose to hand them out at different times...
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

Re: About operating sistem distribution

Quote Originally Posted by asdf12321
    Hi all. Just out of curiosity and nothing else: It seems that new OS versions are released every so often to one carrier or another. For example, the newest version is for "X" carrier in Singapore, or "Y" carrier in Hongkong. I'm wondering why wouldn't RIM release the newest version to all carriers that carry that model, or at least those whom would benefit from it (needing the same language support, for example). In other words, why let some carriers lag behind in OS versions?
    Justajason's response is correct, and the reason is simple marketing. The example that comes to mind is the release of the 4.2 OS to the 8700 handheld. T-Mobile did not have the 4.2 available at their website until, I think, only a month or so ago. It was available at other service providers, though. I downloaded the 4.2 from Vodafone Germany for my T-Mobile 8700g last April or May, and it works wonderfully to this day. (My son uses it now --) So, why did T-Mobile delay the release of 4.2? So they could sell more BlackBerrys!! OS Version 4.1 does not have the capability to transfer multimedia files between the handheld and the computer; it also didn't have a music player. OS version 4.2 does have those capabilities. However, T-Mobile wants their subscribers to think that a handheld upgrade is necessary to take advantage of multimedia. So the average person goes to the T-Mobile store and asks how he can get his 4.1 8700g to send/receive multimedia files from/to the computer -- the answer he will get is that he needs to buy a more updated BlackBerry, rather than downloading the free OS 4.2 Methinks T-Mobile made alot of money for itself and RIM by withholding the release of 4.2 and selling newer BB models!
    Also, does a carrier has to do its own branding? For example, my carrier adds two .midi files with its corporate tune to every phone they sell, do the blackberries already come with those from RIM as per instructions, or do they (the carrier) have to add them themselves to every unit?
    No. An Operating system for a model of BlackBerry already has all of every carrier's tones, themes, etc included. Coding in a file on your computer called "blackberry.alx" determines which tones, etc, appear on each carrier's specific model. Each service provider has it's own customized blackberry.alx file. Whether RIM or the service provider do this coding, I don't know. A great example would be to do a search here at PinStack on unlocking vendor themes -- My T-Mobile 7290 also has themes from Bell, Vodafone and Verizon available, and by changing some of the wording in the blackberry.alx file I can make them available to use. I am currently using a Bell theme on my T-Mobile device.
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 10-14-2007 at 02:05 AM.