Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Personally, I have 2 lines because I'm on the phone. A lot. Without 2 seperate ... General Blackberry forum

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro

Re: A simple phone to complement your BB

Advertisement

Personally, I have 2 lines because I'm on the phone. A lot. Without 2 seperate lines, my overages would be horrendous.

I use my Cingular line to call people with Cingular, and my Tmobile line to call people with Tmobile. In end, it saves me money thanks to Mobile to mobile minutes.

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

I am a usiness user primarily. I can not emagine that having 2 cell phones was in any way a cost savings. 2 bills, 2 sets of service charges and fees, 2 checks to write and the associated fees, you may save a fee dimes in air time but you probably spend it back in fees.
    I have all my calls routed to my BB cell and can look at all my e-mail there too. I can take notes at meetings too. I only carry the one device and life is simple. At least the communication device part.
    Work and Family life, not so much.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

NO.

I like having a unified address book - I enter someone's email/mailing address/phone(s), once then I don't have to enter it again on any device - it's much easier to backup and maintain. Plus I get company numbers and contacts via GAL (global address lookup) from BES at work.

Unless my second phone were a blackberry or something that can sync (even via cable/IrDA/etc) with my corporate PIM, I might need to maintain two address books - not for me!

I understand having two lines - one for personal one for business. For short calls, using the BB as a phone is fine. for longer calls, using a headset is likely an option rather than resorting to a second phone. I head set is bound to be more comfortable for longer periods than a second phone. for overages, why not get a line with more minutes in the plan? Wouldn't one big plan be cheaper than two separate plans? I don't get it.

Or are you guys using a cheap voice provider (TMo or a regional carrier) for voice, then some else for broad data coverage (VZW, AT&T, etc) or vice versa?
    Last edited by Aroc; 07-19-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Kilted Bradley no está en línea Stack level 3

Along with my 8703e I carry a Moto RAZR. The RAZR is a work issue, and sees only calls from work contacts (or my wife when I've left my BB on my desk at work :lol: ) I've had a couple other work issued MOTOs, but I'm really glad for the RAZR now as I can just carry it in my pocket and not know its there until it rings.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I have a personal phone (LG Chocolate) and my work BB.

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

I would hate having two phones. I still kept my old razr, but I only have it for an emergency backup.
    /~*brooke

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc
    Or are you guys using a cheap voice provider (TMo or a regional carrier) for voice, then some else for broad data coverage (VZW, AT&T, etc) or vice versa?
    I use both lines for voice, but my Cingular line also has data. The coverage is more reliable where I live.

I go through a few thousand minutes on each line each month, so having 2 seperate lines actually does save me a bit of money.

BIGT456 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D4B32

I use a Treo through Verizon for voice and my Pearl through T-Mobile for data and a FEW calls...

Odds are once my Verizon contract is up, I will stick with just one phone through T-Mobile.

I can officially say that I am a certified crackberry addict!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

No 2nd phone, I really only need my one BB Curve and it does everything for me for business and personal use. I have like 16,000 rollover minutes right now so it seems I use the data more than I use the voice plan. I need to start doing a lot more talking and less BBing! I looked at my bill and saw all those rollover minutes and was

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

well you can have both phones in one device, how you ask, there is a pice of hardware that allows to have 2 sims in the same device, google it, its like a sim replacment chip.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam
    well you can have both phones in one device, how you ask, there is a pice of hardware that allows to have 2 sims in the same device, google it, its like a sim replacment chip.
    Yes, but even then only ONE sim can be active at a time. You have to CHOOSE a sim to use, you cannot use both simultaneously.

There are phones, however, that have 2 sim slots that allow you to use both sims at the same time. But they are not Blackberries.

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

ahh i see, i have not gone into detailed research of the sim trick, as i dont need it, BB is all i need :P. taht is interesting thou, i have not heard of phones with two sim slots, i shall do some search on that. Althou i am surprised, BB being buissness oriented, i would think they would be one of the first firms to release such device.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp
    Hm, I thought most business users would find use of having 2 phones.
    I do have a business BB and a personal BB but I don't carry a phone in addition to my BB. One reason I got my personal BB was for convergence. Calls from work one are forwarded to the personal one (with the SIM's swapped) since they're both at&t and I have unlimited mobile to mobile. It allows me to leave the work one on weekends and after hours as I'm not on-call.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-20-2007 at 11:26 AM.

514HH no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm a business user and carry a regular cellphone in addition to my Curve. To reply to all the posts about it being a waste of money to have an additional phone to your BB, it really depends on your situation.

I set mine up after a recommendation from my accountant to save some money. Having my own business, I've always kept my BB as my voice & data line for both work and personal, however was only able to clain a certain percentage of my monthly bill as a business expense. By adding the extra line, I'm now able to claim the BB line 100% as a business expense, while the other (personal) line is my own responsibility.

Is it hassle to carry around 2 devices? Yes.

Is it more expensive to have the additional line? Nope. I added the extra line as a shared family plan to my BB account so I just pay $25 out of my own pocket and I'm able to pool the minutes from my BB account which is paid for by my company account. Yes, I'm still paying for my company account, but due to the fact that I can claim it 100% as a business expense, it actually saves me quite a bit of money when I'm filing my taxes and claiming refunds.

I love the tricks that a great accountant can show you!

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

514HH, I am just curious how much you can save by spending $300 per year? ($25 per month) I wonder if it really is a good investment based on the return.
    Can you get $15 per month vonage plan for your "personal" cell number and forward to your BB? That way you just have the one device but the tax advantage I think?
    I know the tax benefit is based on individual circumstance but I would not want to have to deal with another device to save a few dollars. But then I am a crackberry addict.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast