Let me start by saying, I'm a neebe (I've had my Pearl for one full ... General Blackberry forum

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

A few negatives ab out the bb OS

Advertisement

Let me start by saying, I'm a neebe (I've had my Pearl for one full week) and so far, love the blackberry and my Pearl specifically.

I am coming from having used a Palm device (latest was the TX) for a LOT of years, more then I care to remember. I got tired of having to carry a cell phone and my Palm almost everywhere I went, and I wasn't that interested in the Treo's (I've read mediocre reviews of them).

Numerous friends and family (step brother, bro in law) own and love their blackberry, and I was often checking out the devices, but never pulled the trigger until last week, when I decided to exchange my Nokia while it was in the 30 day return period, and go with a Pearl. I am thrilled I made the switch.

All that being said... I have some (minor) complaints and comments about the Blackberry OS (The hardware, for MY purposes, is wonderful... small, love the light sensor which changes brighness, works great with my bluetooth headset, etc. etc.) I hope others don't mind, I am NOT bashing bb, I really am enjoying mine, but...

How is it that after ALL the years RIM has been putting these devices out, and being that push e-mail is their biggest feature, you dont' get HTML out of the box??? I mean, come on! Am I the only one that finds this pretty amazing? Your biggest asset is sending e-mails quickly to your customers, but it DOESN'T DISPLAY HTML?

Also, many of the screens are VERY basic and, frankly, boring. Viewing my contacts, it's a list of names, in (usually) pretty small font, no formating, no ability to customize other then choosing the name displayed... first, last or company, and the sort order. The font is small enough, how about allowing the user to display phone numbers next to the name, if they want? How about allowing a number to be designated "primary" number, so that when you go to call that contact, that number is used, unless the user specifically indicates he/she wants to use a different number?

I LOVE the themes, I'm having a great time trying out numerous different themes, and some of them are really excellent! BUT... I can't change the size font, or background color or font color, or.... that the designer of the theme choses? Often, I find a theme I LOVE BUT, the font is too small, or it displays dark blue text against a black background that is almost unusable. This just makes the theme less enjoyable.

NO built in word readers? NO spreadsheet readers?

Also, the number of apps. available for the Palm OS is much greater then for the bb. Not sure why, but there are numerous choices when it comes to allowing users to customize their PIM, view and edit word, spreadshheets, tons of dictionary programs, book readers, etc. The bb OS... not so much.

I will say, my Pearl has been rock steady! Haven't had to reset (other then when installing certain software, which is understandable) once in the week I've owned it! That is excellent!

Again, this post is NOT meant to bash RIM, Blackberry's or anyone else. Just a few observations... after all the years bb's have been around, some of this seems like it should be more advanced!

Hey, loving something doesn't mean you can't see it's shortcomings, and try to improve upon it.

Hope nobody takes this thread the wrong way.

tai
    tai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304E2757

Re: A few negatives ab out the bb OS

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I agree with part of what you're saying but I know the longer you have it you will soon realize there are many more apps for your BB than you think. It sounded like an honest & fair observation to me though.

alin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a241a4

Welcome to the world of BB, I also thought your observation was fair

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Well on themes since the designer chooses font color, you can adjust the font size for menus in the screen/keyboard settings. You'll have to choose a background the compliments the theme. Look in your pictures, you can choose any one for your background. Or you can make/download your own. True, the contacts page is a little boring and choosing the primary number would be a nice feature. You should be able to view word and excel documents when they are attachments to emails. You can't edit them though. There are 3rd party apps like the empower HTML viewer and eoffice so you can work with documents. Take a look around our 3rd party applications section for a wide variety of apps to download for your bb. You'll find many companies and individuals that are creating programs for the holes that the bb OS leaves. Enjoy your BB.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Hey DCook
    Is there a way to use larger font when viewing details of my contacts? When I now go into contacts, and view details, it is very small type... I can't find where I can enlarge it, or if I can.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shel
    Hey DCook
    Is there a way to use larger font when viewing details of my contacts? When I now go into contacts, and view details, it is very small type... I can't find where I can enlarge it, or if I can.

Thanks!
    Go to "Screen/Keyboard" off of the ptions icon, and there you can change font styles and sizes for the address book details.

Thanks Mark!
    That did the trick!

jd8726 no está en línea Stack level 1

I noticed a lot of the trackballs break on the pearl. Does anyone know of a way to navigate through your menu and options without the trackball in the event that it would break?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

How is it that after ALL the years RIM has been putting these devices out, and being that push e-mail is their biggest feature, you dont' get HTML out of the box??? I mean, come on! Am I the only one that finds this pretty amazing? Your biggest asset is sending e-mails quickly to your customers, but it DOESN'T DISPLAY HTML?
    The consumer market is new to RIM. I mean, how long has the Pearl been out? It's the first consumer-oriented BB. I won't say that there's no need for HTML mail in the business world but I personally use plain text. Even with my personal email, the HTML email that I receive is all spam. They'll probably add HTML support down the road but you'd need to email RIM at bbsuggestions@rim.com if you really want them to know that it's a priority for you.

Also, many of the screens are VERY basic and, frankly, boring. Viewing my contacts, it's a list of names, in (usually) pretty small font, no formating, no ability to customize other then choosing the name displayed... first, last or company, and the sort order.
    I'm not sure I need "exciting" screens more than usable screens but I guess that's a YMMV matter. This is another matter that you'd have to email RIM about. Font size is adjustable via Options.

The font is small enough, how about allowing the user to display phone numbers next to the name, if they want? How about allowing a number to be designated "primary" number, so that when you go to call that contact, that number is used, unless the user specifically indicates he/she wants to use a different number?
    For your first items, again, email bbsuggestions@rim.com. The BB will default to the last number and email that you used for the contact (not sure if you've even noticed this). It will even default to the last email account that you used to email a contact if you have multiple accounts set up.

I LOVE the themes, I'm having a great time trying out numerous different themes, and some of them are really excellent! BUT... I can't change the size font, or background color or font color, or.... that the designer of the theme choses?
    That's exactly it. You'd need to take this up with the creator of the theme.

NO built in word readers? NO spreadsheet readers?
    IIRC you get better attachment support with BES. You really need third paty apps to edit Office files though.

Also, the number of apps. available for the Palm OS is much greater then for the bb. Not sure why, but there are numerous choices when it comes to allowing users to customize their PIM, view and edit word, spreadshheets, tons of dictionary programs, book readers, etc. The bb OS... not so much.
    Development of apps on the BB is relatively new whereas PalmOS has been around for ages and has had third party apps almost from the start. The difference shouldn't be surprising. There are more apps for the BB now than there even have been in the past. Again, this isn't up to RIM and it will improve with time.

I will say, my Pearl has been rock steady! Haven't had to reset (other then when installing certain software, which is understandable) once in the week I've owned it! That is excellent!
    Now this is precisely where the BB outshines all of its competition. Those of us who actually do work understand that stability is really the most important feature. It's one of the major reasons that I've stuck with BB's.

Quote Originally Posted by jd8726
    I noticed a lot of the trackballs break on the pearl. Does anyone know of a way to navigate through your menu and options without the trackball in the event that it would break?
    Not really. You need the trackball for that. What you can do is learn all of the shortcuts and use them to minimize wear on the trackball. It's a lot easier and faster to get around if you're not constantly relying on the trackball when there is a shortcut. Also, in almost every situation where you click on the trackball you can hit Enter. All this applies to trackwheel models as well.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-14-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks Mark!
    That did the trick!
    You're welcome

I LOVE the themes, I'm having a great time trying out numerous different themes, and some of them are really excellent! BUT... I can't change the size font, or background color or font color, or.... that the designer of the theme choses? Often, I find a theme I LOVE BUT, the font is too small, or it displays dark blue text against a black background that is almost unusable. This just makes the theme less enjoyable.
    You sound like a person that would enjoy using the Plazmic theme builder to create your own themes! Make your own backgrounds, icons, choose your own fonts/sizes/colors with the text. Go to one of our forums Software & Theme dev to get started. Instructions are very clear

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone
    You sound like a person that would enjoy using the Plazmic theme builder to create your own themes! Make your own backgrounds, icons, choose your own fonts/sizes/colors with the text. Go to one of our forums Software & Theme dev to get started. Instructions are very clear
    Sounds good. I'll give it a try!