Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

I think that I am in a position to speak about having a bb w/o ... General Blackberry forum

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

I think that I am in a position to speak about having a bb w/o a data plan becauase before I got my 8830 w/ a data package I had a 7520 w/o data. I had a data plan on my phone very briefly but it was entirely too expensive in my opinion. I paid 40 a month just for data on my phone which I did not feel was even worth it b/c data on that phone was just as slow as GSM data at CDMA data prices. The main reason I had that phone was to use the direct connect and I had a seperate phone that I used to talk on. So the phone served it's purpose for me while I had it. Hope that helps.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Re: A Blackberry with NO data plan?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have read through ALL the posts on this topic, some good points from both sides (and some pointless posting). I guess I can agree with either.
    My belief is that it seems pointless to have a BB without the data plan.. HOWEVER now I see that it might not be the case, it really depends on the intended use I suppose.
    Me personally I can't live without the data... But my family would probably love me more if I didn't have it!
    I have been able to get tailored themes, and some AWESOME apps (some requiring data).. I use it for my camera, the music (no need for ipod), and with all the things a pda can do, I donated my palm TX to my sister. Having the pearl reduces the carrying load from 3 items to one.. So nice
    To those of you without data, you keep doing what your doing! It CAN be expensive, and may not justifyable for you.. So don't let yourself be pressured into something you don't need. BB's still ROCK no matter what! *take that iphone*

swbtsboy no está en línea Stack level 3

I don't have my BB Pearl yet.. supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm reading to edumacate myself. I had a data plan on my old Nokia and I used it a lot when I was at work. I don't work now, I go to school and take care of my elderly dad thus, no money. I got the Pearl because :
    1. It was free
    2. It had a pseudo Qwerty keyboard (I had a full keyboard on the Nokia)
    3. It had a large screen
    4. I couldn't get any of those features on the other phones my carrier was offering for anywhere near free.
    5. I had to stay with the same carrier because it was linked to my home computer and phone.
    6. I need a calender (That I can see without straining my eyes) for my daily schedule which is hectic.
    7. It was very shiny and It called to me.
    8. Why? Chicken Thigh!

Anywho... those are my reasons. I don't really need the data because I'm near computers I can use all day long. If it helps any, I'm as giddy as a 12 year old going to a Justin Timberlake concert waiting for it to get here!
    Last edited by swbtsboy; 12-28-2007 at 12:35 AM.

cky1billion no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24236b05

Even though its a bit much, I defiantly need the data plan, I would say that just plain google search makes it worth it. I gave my mother an 8700 and she had the data plan but took it off a month or two later. She emails pretty regularly, but is just plain used to going to hotmail and composing, sending and checking right there, and no matter how I try to explain she can do everything on the phone, she isn't interested. She did like the bb messenger for keeping in touch with my sister and I, but no data plan, no bb messenger. She sees the reason to have it, but for her needs the data plan does her no good really.
    As someone mentioned the construction of the BB's is what is most important to her, she isnt scared she is going to break it, and hell, I would be surprised if she did.

I use my phone internet very very often. I like viigo a lot and even use that even while at my desk, it sometimes is a little more concise then going to individual places to read headlines.

I think if you showed someone all the different uses for a bb and internet ahead of time, and 3rd party apps that extend it, I am quite sure you can figure out a use that would justify the extra price for even the most fearful or neophyte user, but different strokes for different folks.

Sunshyn no está en línea Stack level 2

I've been looking into getting a Pearl for my husband, but he doesn't want a data plan at this point.

I wanted to make sure because some of these posts are discouraging. Are the people who insist that a data plan is necessary saying that BB's aren't good phones?

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ no the BB's are WONDERFUL phones even without the data. Lol.. Most of us COULD survive without the data *i can feel the rage coming out of my phone* but we choose not too because we are crackberry addicts who need help! Gotta have my data like I GOTTA have my coffee!!

Sunshyn no está en línea Stack level 2

I do plan to get the data plan when I get my curve. To tell you the truth, I want it more for email than voice calls since I do business over the net. However, the data plan is part of the reason we can't quite afford it yet - having just bought a new car and a sudden surge of end of year bills. My husband, OTOH, really likes the size and feel of the Pearl but isn't interested in wireless email and internet. He'll probably change his mind after watching me with mine but not right away. I'd hate for him to be upset at me for recommending something that is sub-par for actual phone use.

If BBs are as good as I keep hearing, I would think fans would be thrilled to tell everyone how great they are, even mundane stuff like their build quality and use as a phone. Instead, I'm hearing some folks recommending any other normal phone over a BB. Don't such statements undercut the value of the brand?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyn View Post
    ...If BBs are as good as I keep hearing, I would think fans would be thrilled to tell everyone how great they are, even mundane stuff like their build quality and use as a phone. Instead, I'm hearing some folks recommending any other normal phone over a BB. Don't such statements undercut the value of the brand?
    not sure where you hear/see this. The only time I might suggest other than a BlackBerry is when someone is just looking for a device with a better keyboard to text message and has no plans for email or web. If that is the case then Treos are a bit cheaper right now (just last night saw at AT&T a Treo was $50 and BB's were $100) and a bit better for a regular consumer for general uses where as the BlackBerry is a strong email device and not too bad on the web browser either. Treos also have a really cool SMS threading feature a bit different from the BlackBerries.

by the web, welcome
    Last edited by cliffr39; 12-28-2007 at 08:34 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

A BlackBerry without a data plan is kind of like a cheeseburger with out the burger. Just not as complete.
    Rather, it is like the cheeseburger without the cheese. Blackberrys have three super-strengths: Phone (from the 7100 series circa 2004 the mobile phone capabilities of BBs are great, better than most other manufacturers), PIM and Email. Those of us that use only phone and PIM may be missing the email and web, one of the greatest BB strengths, but we're still waaayyy ahead of other mere phones with the calendar, notepad, wonderful contacts capabilities, media, etc. And the quality of the device is great, too. I say if you have a Berry without data, GREAT! If you have the data plan, then BONUS!!!!!

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Rather, it is like the cheeseburger without the cheese. Blackberrys have three super-strengths: Phone (from the 7100 series circa 2004 the mobile phone capabilities of BBs are great, better than most other manufacturers), PIM and Email. Those of us that use only phone and PIM may be missing the email and web, one of the greatest BB strengths, but we're still waaayyy ahead of other mere phones with the calendar, notepad, wonderful contacts capabilities, media, etc. And the quality of the device is great, too. I say if you have a Berry without data, GREAT! If you have the data plan, then BONUS!!!!!
    lol I thought you'd like that Mark
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

scapegoat81 no está en línea Stack level 1

Listen, I plan on getting the Curve 8320 real soon. I don't work in business, so i don't need on the go e-mailing. I would just like to surf the net & e-mail once in a while, which i can do so through wifi. The full keyboard is also a plus for texting.......

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8

When I first got the bb it didn't have a data plan. No sweat. It was a blast of a phone anyway. But now I have a data plan and the thing just definitely rocks out much more. Email, RSS, all the IMs, GPS, Opera. There's so much that I didn't use before and can see myself ODing on it.

The cost of the data plan is prohibitive to say the least. But I got around some of it with a bit of help from my friends. If all you can get is the voice plan then take it... but if you can get data its definitely worth it.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    I completely agree with you mark.
    I wouldn't want to make this sound bad but I think that there are some people jealous because now almost everyone is buying bb's and there fore bb's don't belong to a "select" group of people nowadays.
    C'mon let's face it the bb is the best phone out there with or without a bis data plan, see for example, I just bought my wife a pearl for 30 dlls, who can't spend 30 dlls?.
    And she's NOT gonna use data she doesn't need it at all, all she does is texting and voice calls.
    She wanted a nice small and stylish phone with a good battery an sms friendly keyboard and a battery life that can beat that of the razor (laugh).
    So the crimson red pearl was a blast!
    She's still calling me from it when I'm at work just to let me know how much she likes it, and she's had it for a week now
    BB's are the bomb anyway you look at them regardless of the data capabilities.
    My 2 cents

vean no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Re: A Blackberry with NO data plan?

With BB service I don't get full data plan...

So, I will not buy BB service. I will just pay for DATA PLAN, install GMAIL client, and I have email on it.
    I can easily write emails... even open documents. I can use any MAPS with GPS.

I don't need my email coming in real time. <=15 min delay is OK.

Please tell me (because I'm newbie) what am I missing without BB service?
    If much then I will pay for it (but just BIS).

Thanks.

wojowinks no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry w/ no data.

I already pay for high speed internet on my home computer. I also have high speed internet at work. The only time I would use my blackberry is between those two places. Besides, If I am on the subway, there is no wireless reception. Why should I have to pay another 20.00/month for internet access. MUCH more reasonable to use the USB cable and mobipocket.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast