Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

I don't have a data plan, and here is my explanation. I bought the Pearl ... General Blackberry forum

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: A Blackberry with NO data plan?

Advertisement

I don't have a data plan, and here is my explanation.

I bought the Pearl for three reasons.

1- I needed a phone ASAP because my razr broke. I don't have a house phone so I didn't want to get something cheap. I read allot of good reviews about the 8100 and was excited to get it.

2- I txt a fair bit, so i wanted the modified QWERTY KB. I didn't want a full size BB so the pearl was perfect.

3- I got a deal, only paid $50 for it.

Now when I got the phone, I already had a very good voice plan but was looking forward to using a data plan. unfortunatly I didn't do my homework and had no freaking clue how expensive Rogers Data was. It is for personal use and I just couldn't justify it.

still have no regrets.

eventually Rogers' data plans will come down, and when they do I will sign up.

but with my luck the next gen 81XX will be out, and I will have wifi. so screw Rogers and their Data plans.

riotgeek no está en línea Stack level 2

Data plans in my neck of the woods (australia) are horribly expensive. We're yet to see any of the major telcos offer competative data plan rates. the cheapest data plan that is available with my current carrier (vodafone) is $79 a month.

jonnychiro no está en línea Stack level 2

what do u care why or why not someone buys something.

are you that lonely and bored. )

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnychiro
    what do u care why or why not someone buys something.

are you that lonely and bored. )
    Its a discussion jonnychiro - one that u just offered no value to whatsoever.

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Well put Cherri!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

caramello29 no está en línea Stack level 1

You are able to use a blackberry phone without having a Blackberry data plan. I just recently switched to the 8800 from the pearl, which I gave to me fiance'. We are both Cingular customers and she had internet from here previous phone. When I had the phone I used Opera for internet. With her sims card she is able to get onlinme through Opera, no need for the Blackberry browser or service.

jd885 no está en línea Stack level 3

To be honest I have a 8100 with no data plan...< yeah i know what your thinking but here are some good points (bought it for 150.00 in febuary 07) any way i did it because im hard into my computer and i can find ways around alot of stuff... so the pearl was a good challenge for me.

I got tons of games, cool applications, a great looking phone, good camera, an MP3 and video player (forget an ipod) for around the same price as some regular old crappy phone. I got my laptop for all my internet needs and not to be rude but i got GPS in my maxima to get around so... thats how i feel although data plans are cool i dont really feel like getting one i dont need it.

dmnall no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241D25C9
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    nope...hadn't seen that one...
    gonna have to call that one in...i wish cingular would let you share text (like mobile to mobile) packages.
    I do know att has an unlimited txt plan to only att customers for $ 9.99. $ 10 more for unlimited text to anyone! If you are on a family plan you can get unlimited text messages for all lines for flat rate of $29.99!

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W
    When i bought my 1st pearl in dec 2006 i went to a tmobile store. The salesman sold me the phone but didnt say anything about a data plan. I took the phone home, charged it then eagerly tried to surf the net. Eventually i called tmo c.s. And they explained everything, hooked me up wit a plan, and told me about Pinstack. He totally rocked!lol. Anyway, my point is maybe, as cherri mentioned, a lot of ppl dont know they need a data plan.

Xyxyll no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Re: A Blackberry with NO data plan?

I can tell you right now that my ONLY reason for getting the BlackBerry Pearl is its aesthetics. I was first exposed to a BlackBerry this past summer when a roommate of mine had a BlackBerry Pearl (with no dataplan mind you). I was simply blown away with RIM's industrial design. It was beautifully designed both inside and out, extremely comfortable (size and weight), and demonstrated crystal-clear calls and great reception. I simply had to get this phone.

After doing my research, I was pissed to discover that Verizon (the only service I am willing to deal with) requires a data plan with any of their BlackBerrys (not the case with the roommate's T-Mobile BlackBerry). This put me off purchasing the 8830 back in August when my "new-every-two" had expired and nearly put me off purchasing the 8130 when it was released last month. Do I want a data plan as a consumer? No! I would lose much of the functionality of a BlackBerry ("the whole point" to owning a BlackBerry to many), but those features are not why I dropped $ to buy the phone in the first place. Like I explained above, I am interested in the BlackBerry for its superior functionality as a phone and it's beautiful industrial design... not for its capabilities as a smartphone. Also note that with the growing prices of regular handsets nowadays, not using a smartphone for its intended purposes is certainly a feasible monetary option when it comes to choosing a new phone.

Now, this is not to say that I do not enjoy or use the data plan that I pay for every month, but as a personal consumer (not a business professional), I could certainly get by better without paying $30/mo for my handset of choice.

veronica10 no está en línea Stack level 2

I am 17 and I have the blackberry pearl.
    At first I didn't have the data plan, but decided that, as you guys are saying, the phone is kind of pointless without it.
    But now, after having the plan I'm not so sure how necessary it is to me.
    It's nice to be able to get to webpages when I'm not home, but there are rarely cases where I need to go on a website, or want to, that badly that I couldn't wait.
    I first got it so that I could get an AIM app and use that, but it turns out I barely ever use AIM on my phone.
    The reason why I got the pearl is because, although I'm 17, I really like technology and do not like phones that simply call and text. The pearl is more than a phone, data plan or not. I can download new things to it, change it around and make it suit me. I still have the data plan, but may get rid of it soon.
    I understand why people who use their blackberry for business would not understand why anyone would want the blackberry without the data plan, but the thing is that at 17, my emails can wait.
    To me, the pearl has a lot more to offer than just texting with or without the data plan.

dmnall no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241D25C9

When I first got my bb curve, I was hesitant to get it because of the data plan, however, I do need the plan because when I am going anywhere that I am not too familiar with, I can get directions. That makes it very nice because bb maps has saved me from being late to appointments that I was not sure where the places were.. Plus getting all my e-mail has cut down my spam dramatically in my in box because I can delete it before I check my e-mail at home.. So I still think a bb without a data plan is kind of useless because you cannot use all the features eventhough I will admit it not everyone needs to use the features.

Charlie

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

I don't remember the last time I logged into hotmail to check my email. I like that

Pinstack is the primary place I go on my bb using the net. Or ... If I'm at the orthodontist waiting on my kid I surf.

I don't have the time to get on and surf the net. I bought my bb to get organized and to get all my emails in one place. I LOVE the bb push email technology. In the beginning (2 years ago) I tried one of the nokias with the bb connect. It never worked right. I sold it within a week and was back to bb. My emails are important to me. The extra stuff on the bb is just the chocolate syrup on my ice cream sundae (I'm hungry).

The purpose of this thread was to discuss your reasons why you chose one or the other. Some good posts in here.

Truman no está en línea Stack level 2

For my needs, the data plan is a must. It saves me time and energy. It also gives me more time to spend with my family because I don't have to be in the office all the time.

I am considering purchasing either a Pearl or Curve for my mom and I would not get the data plan for her. She doesn't need it and wouldn't use it.
    However, she needs a good quality cell phone that she can text on. She is incapable of texting on a regular cell phone and needs the better keypad. The build quality of the BlackBerry makes it one of the best cell phones on the market, add in the keypad and it's the best choice for her.

So . . . I can see both sides of the coin.

rammerjammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    wilsticu

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast