Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

but this is a discussion, full of opinions...respect it all, regardless of your personal feelings.... General Blackberry forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: A Blackberry with NO data plan?

Advertisement

but this is a discussion, full of opinions...respect it all, regardless of your personal feelings.

NerdWeez no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30f8565e

If you need the BES data plan, great. If you don't need BES but instead need BIS, great. If you don't need either, great. There's no need to foist your needs and opinions on others who may not be in the same boat.
    If you don't need either then get a normal damn phone... That's my idea anyway, but it isn't meant as a personal stab against you, takeshi. I just don't know why in God's green goodness anybody would waste money on a BB without data.
    "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his soul?" -Jesus Christ

sgtgarcia no está en línea Stack level 2

In the end it is the customer's choice/money, hey, whatever floats your boat! I wanted to add to the question about Sprint's BB Plan, I just switched to BB plan unlimited after going with a BB on my new contract and the brochure that I picked up from the store says that regular plan is 39.99 and unlimited 49.99, new 2 years contract will get unlimited for 39.99- then it states limited time offer. Is this correct? or am I reading an old paper?
    Just asking for the benefit of anyone in the middle of making a choice to come to the BB side.
    "If you run...you will only die tired!"

damann no está en línea Stack level 1

I don't have a plan because I don't use internet or email on my phone. But for my business I like the full keyboard for entering information like, peoples names and numbers, material lists, employee hours, etc. It is easier to use the calculator than any other phone I've had. I've got 5 games for when I'm waiting around. I use the calander daily for estimates, appointments, etc. And the alarm is easy to set and I use it every day to get my but out of bed.
    Not to mention that I only have to charge it once every two weeks.
    I bought the phone unlocked for $89 plus tax and I'm on pay as you go. In the spring and summer I pay about $60 - $80 a month but fall and winter I'm at about $15- $20.
    I'm in no contract and I can switch tomorrow if I want.
    If my phone breaks it only costs me another $89 for a new one. (still no contract)
    So instead of paying $1200 or more per year so I can email. I can do quite a bit for under $400 per year. That to me means another week off per year to spend with my kids, instead of working to pay an internet bill.
    Thats just the way it is for me anyway
    Work smarter not harder.

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3

I think I'll drop my data plan and just play Brickbreaker to pass the time. As long as I look cool doing it..................NOT!

NerdWeez no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30f8565e

So instead of paying $1200 or more per year so I can email. I can do quite a bit for under $400 per year.
    After tax I pay $670 a year for my voice and unlimited data... $1200?
    "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his soul?" -Jesus Christ

PIN/ID
    ATA

i guess he's just rounding up...
    i really have come to the conclusion that it really is about your priorities and what is most important to you. some people loath the fact that their company insists on them carrying bb's. i have an IT Admin here that hates his...he even has a name for it that i can't say on here but here we all are, i think the true addiction comes WITH the data plan...don't you?

blufur no está en línea Stack level 1

I am a mac user and all i want is a phone that syncs well with my computer (calendar, address, to-do, itunes) and that I can use to listen to music and as an organizer. I can sign up with cingular for a new account via amazon and get the blackberry 8800 for only $99. (And use "missing sync" to sync my data).

I understand I'm missing out on a huge benefit of the blackberry by not getting the data plan, but I simply can't afford the extra $$.. I still think I'd enjoy having a nice organizer and my music and all my personal data on my phone... is that so hard to understand?

By the way, is there anyone out there who has had a blackberry without the data plan who can tell me - if I have NO data plan, can I send and receive TXT messages to other cell phone users?

Thanks
    Last edited by blufur; 03-12-2007 at 09:24 AM.

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

man...1200?...at the end of the year my bill is about..670, like NerdWeez...and thats for me, using a blackberry with unlimited data, unlimited SMS and my wife who on her phone uses vcast and all that fun stuff, along with unlimited text, and we share 1700 minutes a month.....1200? pfff

there is absolutly no reason to get a blackberry if your not going to use data, if nothing else, get a Q or a side kick or some other toy, dont spend good money on something just because you think it will make you look cool, silly people, just my two cents

rickchi-town no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    401A3CDC

Man guys... a tough crowd around here, huh? I didn't catch the various names, but who really cares if someone has data or not? I mean, some of you guys are getting really worked up here. The one guy up there just bought his BB because they are easy totype on and have a decent calculator... I agree.
    I just think they're great phones, and apparently so do others... even if it doesn't recieve his e-mails! Lighten up.... My buddy just bought a Q.. I tried desperately to have him get a BB (so we could pin message each other for free), he said he didn't need email, blah, blah, blah. I still tried to talk him into it as just a great phone. And that's really what they are.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by blufur
    By the way, is there anyone out there who has had a blackberry without the data plan who can tell me - if I have NO data plan, can I send and receive TXT messages to other cell phone users? Thanks
    Yes you can do that. But you will be charged for sending and receiving every text message. Your best option here is to get a text package so you don't have to pay for each message.

Ok now on to the ongoing discussion about whether or not to get a BlackBerry with data. For those who say get another device, you have the right to say this. I have always had a BlackBerry with data because I want a small device I can travel with and the BlackBerry does this quite well.

Sure the devices can be quite expensive, but would you rather have a $300 device that can have email, text, IM, organizer, web access and a phone all in one tiny package, or a $75 limited device? Case in point, I have a POS Samsung phone (for $75 after haggling with T-Mo because I couldn't afford the full price of the phone at the time. It was $200 full price). I used it for only a month. It crashed, froze and rebooted itself constantly out of the box. The BlueTooth headsets I have pair fine with the BlackBerry but rendered the cheap phone even more useless than it already was.

Unfortunately, I lost the receipt I got when the phone arrived, but I would be more than willing to return that phone to T-Mobile. I have the box, all original accessories, manuals, CD software, case, and wall charger. Anybody want a Samsung E635? LOL I'm sticking with my BlackBerry and SideKick (data on both phones) no matter what.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

it makes no sense but a few girls i know have the pearl. with no data plan. they just thought the phone was "cute" lol. gotta love it.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by rickchi-town
    Man guys... a tough crowd around here, huh? I didn't catch the various names, but who really cares if someone has data or not? I mean, some of you guys are getting really worked up here. The one guy up there just bought his BB because they are easy totype on and have a decent calculator... I agree.
    I just think they're great phones, and apparently so do others... even if it doesn't recieve his e-mails! Lighten up.... My buddy just bought a Q.. I tried desperately to have him get a BB (so we could pin message each other for free), he said he didn't need email, blah, blah, blah. I still tried to talk him into it as just a great phone. And that's really what they are.
    A lot of people can't see past their own noses and don't comprehend that different people have different needs and wants... Thankfully, RIM and the carriers are more flexible and give the consumer the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Sure the devices can be quite expensive, but would you rather have a $300 device
    If you're willing to wait it's not difficult to get a highly discounted BB. I mean the 8700's and 8100's can be picked up for pretty cheap on new activations. Early adopters like me end up getting bitten by the higher cost of unsubsidized devices or purchases without being eligible for an upgrade discount.
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-15-2007 at 10:34 AM.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Really, what difference does it make. While I agree that BB's have a lot of potential and that's what most people have one for, there are others who's needs are less and buy one because of looks or ease of use. That's what a free market is for, choice. All this attention is driving BB to take their phones where they never have before, which is good for us.

PIN/ID
    ATA

i don't understand how a casual conversation can get some so riled up...the simple fact of the matter is that they bought a porsche to drive across the street...
    that's all

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast