Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

a casual conversation on why someone would get a Blackberry without a data plan... I ... General Blackberry forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

A Blackberry with NO data plan?

Advertisement

a casual conversation on why someone would get a Blackberry without a data plan...

I have noticed lately that a lot of the new users posting on here are having issues because they are not subscribed to a data plan. Is it the carrier's responsibility to inform the NEW user that the BB he/she is about to buy will not work 'as it says' without service books being pushed to the device. And...without a data plan, there is no way for the service books to be pushed. I guarantee that most sales reps inside the stores don't even know this. With the release of the Pearl last year, a new GENRE of users was created. Why are they buying these awesome little devices, paying a decent amount of money for them, and not using it the way it should be used? Is it too expensive to have a data plan? Is that the real reason? Just wondering, because it really is bugging me that people are buying this phone and not activating data plans along with it...

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: A Blackberry with NO data plan?

A blackberry is virtually an expensive phone with a calendar without a dataplan. I could not be happy without the unlimited data plan that my wife and I have for our blackberries.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

I feel the only ones who get the short end of the stick are the rogers users <i think thats right> who as i understand pay a lot more for data due to the monopoly there.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

~via SUPA BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I make sure to sell all my data devices with the proper data plan. It really doesn't make sense to have a phone like this if you can't use all the features.

PIN/ID
    ATA

i'm kinda thinking, especially with Christmas and the release of the Cing Pearl, that some of the stores are pushing the devices without properly selling the 'points'...kwim?

martin_j001 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24347b90

In my experience, the majority of the store reps I've ever talked to are very aware that the bb's require a specific data plan....they don't know why in most cases, they can't answer the "why won't it work with this plan" correctly, but they've known that it requires a specific plan....
    HowardForums.com
    Acidstudioz.com

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It would be ideal if the store reps could assess and make appropriate recommendations but from a practical standpoint this will never happen. Store reps aren't paid enough, don't receive enough training on the various devices, and they're not really even intended to properly listen and assess needs. However, they should be able to tell the buyer that data services on a Blackberry device will not work without a Blackberry data plan and leave it to the buyer to decide.

From what I've seen, it seems that a lot of people with this problem are actually trying to pick the cheapest data plan. Why would you when there are specific Blackberry plans? Do these same people also pump diesel or pure ethanol into their cars when it's cheaper than regular unleaded?

It's up to the consumer to do research, as with any other purchase. If you buy a car or house or anything else solely relying on information provided by a salesperson then you deserve what you get IMO. It would be great to have a dumbed-down smartphone for the masses but at this stage you need to know what you're getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    Why are they buying these awesome little devices, paying a decent amount of money for them, and not using it the way it should be used?
    There are a number of cases where a person would be perfectly happy with a Blackberry and no data plan. I personally know several people who are happy with their Pearls without email or internet access. Who are you to tell people how they are "supposed" to use something when you have no idea what their needs are? I can't imagine an undereducated and underpaid store rep being able to assess these situations properly either.

Since I use hosted BES because it fits my personal use/needs should I expect you to use hosted BES as well? Again, I can't imagine a store rep being able to properly assess and make this recommendation where it suits the buyer.

One size doesn't fit all despite the people pushing BB data plans with a BB in this thread. Thankfully we can each pick and choose to suit our individual needs. I guess I'd just hate to see store reps pushing plans or telling people that they have to get a Blackberry data plan when that's not the case (not with all carriers, anyway).
    Last edited by takeshi; 01-24-2007 at 12:56 PM.

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

Let me say this,

I've been in retail sales for about 10 years now, I like to think that I've been successfull... The biggest reason I have good sales have moved into management is because I stay informed. If I don't properly assess my customers then I get returns. So, it's in my best interest to do everything in my power to make sure the phone weather it be a blackberry or not fits the needs of the customer.

This is something that is taught, I know I've received that training, and I know that I pass it along to every associate that I've ever trained. Not only because it will help the associate but it will make me look better when I don't have many returns.

The issue that people are running into is, that "some" associates just don't have the drive to succeed in everything they do. Some of them are in college and this is just a stepping stone. But, what I try to preach is that how you do you job here will reflect on your carreer choice after school.

To say that people aren't simply paid enough to learn is just wrong, these kids make pretty damn good money when they put there minds to it. I know that I would have killed to have a job like this when I was a teenager.

I will also say this... A customer attitude when they come into a store will reflect on the service they receive. So, for example, if I have a customer in the store who may or may not know more than me. But gives the attitude that I'm a moron, they will not have a good shopping experience. All I'm saying is that you have to give these "kids" a chance, you may be surprised on what they know.

Dr. Woo

PIN/ID
    ATA

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    There are a number of cases where a person would be perfectly happy with a Blackberry and no data plan. I personally know several people who are happy with their Pearls without email or internet access. Who are you to tell people how they are "supposed" to use something when you have no idea what their needs are?
    not trying to tell someone what to do, just trying to understand why...that's all.

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

Honestly, I don't know why someone would have a blackberry with out data. I guess I can kind of see getting one for texting only... but even that, there's a lot of phones out there, if you wanted to do just that...

Dr. Woo

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrWoo
    Honestly, I don't know why someone would have a blackberry with out data. I guess I can kind of see getting one for texting only... but even that, there's a lot of phones out there, if you wanted to do just that...

Dr. Woo
    I agree completely.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

I'm really glad to see that a lot of people are on the same page here. I'm a sales rep for tmobile and I make sure if anyone is getting a data device or any other device that they get the correct data feature. Unfortunately you do get a lot of people who want to get the phone because they think it looks good and they have no idea how to use it and they don't want to get the proper bundles. I try and get them into a device that is going to have the same features without the datat plan that would work for them but most customers want what they want. I also tell them the list of features that won't work and they don't care and either a week latr they bring it back or a couple months down the road they are bashing the device or carrier because they can't use their phone. On the other hand I've seen some sales reps who get excited about selling the phone that they forget to add the feature. So it happens on both ends but I feel from experience that its a lot of the customers who don't want to spend some money to get full advantage of their device~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Data plan is a must!!!!

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by moses2628
    Data plan is a must!!!!
    AMEN!
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)