I have a pretty new 8830 (Got it in Feb). I absolutely love it, and ... General Blackberry forum

funkeye no está en línea Stack level 1

8830 battery loose causing frequent restarts?

Advertisement

I have a pretty new 8830 (Got it in Feb). I absolutely love it, and it's working like a champ. However, recently, it has been restarting itself pretty frequently. I couldn't tell why it was happening, but I'm figuring out that it is happening when I put it down on a hard surface. I'm not dropping it on the surface. I place it on a table, and it restarts (Screen goes black, LED goes red, I hold power button, it goes to gray screen with hour glass, few minutes later, it comes back online, scans the security software, alerts me to the fact that a media card has been inserted). This doesn't strike me as something that is built into standard operation for the 8830.

All I can think of is that the connections for the bat are loose, and that it's causing the BB to loose power at the slightest jolt. Is this something I should bring in to a store (I have sprint, and pay the money for complete insurance)? Or is it something stupid that I could fix myself?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    You should have a 1 year warranty to cover an issue like that, insurance should not even come into play. I would definitely bring it to the store for replacement. Maybe have them give you a new battery first, and if the problem persists, they should send you a new BB. You shouldn't have to play around with fixing an almost brand new unit. That's my opinion anyway.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jrusch no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31ADDE19
    I have been an 8830 user with US Cellular since October, 2007. The first one I bought new and I was having the same problem, I would set it down on a hard surface (gently though) and sometimes it would reboot. I called US Cellular customer support and they sent me a replacement.

After a few weeks the replacement started doing the same thing. So I contacted customer support and they sent me another replacement. They told me if that one did it the next thing I should do is go to a local store and get a new battery (warranty replacement).

So far (about 6 weeks or so) the third one has not had the problem.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Unless its within 30 days, Sprint will still charge $55 to "warranty" it (which IMO is a complete rip-off and I wouldn't doubt if that is illegal).
    That's probably going to be cheaper than paying whatever your warranty deductible is.
    If your liquid indicator tripped? (The white (or red) box underneath ur battery).
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Unless its within 30 days, Sprint will still charge $55 to "warranty" it (which IMO is a complete rip-off and I wouldn't doubt if that is illegal).
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I would think that was illegal.......isn't the warranty from RIM for 1 year???? That makes no sense to me...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I would think that was illegal.......isn't the warranty from RIM for 1 year???? That makes no sense to me...
    I completely agree with you, and I am actually surprised this hasn't happened enough that Sprint clients haven't gotten together to file a class-action law suit against Sprint on it.

Here's how Sprint works (for the most part, and most times) using a BlackBerry as an example:
    1. Your phone is within 30 days, Sprint will replace it, assuming there is no water damage.
    2. If your device is out of the 30 days, Sprint will tell you that you can have it replaced through their "Advanced Exchange" program. Generally, the actual cost of this is $35, however, I believe almost every store, if not every store, will charge you $55 in order to do this, however, it can't have any water damage. This is what they consider their "1 year warranty".
    Now, if you notice on their site, it states for their devices:

How do I replace my device under the manufacturer's warranty?

The manufacturer of your device offers a one-year limited warranty from the date of purchase. To replace your device under the manufacturer's warranty, a Sprint Store technician needs to verify the defect.
    To locate the nearest Sprint Store, dial *2 on your Sprint PCS Phone, say store locator, and follow the instructions; or go to our online Sprint Store locator.
    NOTE:
    Warranties are exclusive to the manufacturer and only allow for same-model exchanges, if available. Sprint has no liability in connection with the manufacturers' acts and/or omissions.

Now, here is the catch. You can't replace your phone via RIM, as here is RIM's warranty (short version).
    BlackBerry® devices purchased directly from Research In Motion (RIM) are covered under a one (1) year warranty for defects in material and workmanship from the date the product was shipped. If you did not purchase your device directly from RIM, please contact your service provider for warranty information.

Now. Obviously that means that RIMS 1 year warranty is with Sprint (or whichever other wireless carrier), and not the End-User, which actually I can understand...that makes sense.

So the question is...

If someone pays the $55.00 for thier "Warranty" replacement with Sprint, what's happening to the device? My guess? Sprint is sending these devices to RIM to have them refurb, then RIM is sending the devices BACK to Sprint, which then go to the "Depot" and become the devices which YOU get under your "Warranty" exchange with Sprint that you just paid $55.00 for.

I may be mistaken on this, but does not EVERY OTHER US CARRIER (TMobile, Verizon, AT&T) cover your device FREE OF CHARGE (assuming that it falls within the warranty time-frame, doesn't have physical damage, doesn't have water damage and falls with-in any additional criteria)?

IMO, this is the biggest RIP OFF when it comes to supposed "Warranty Claims" that I have ever seen. It's like you buy a brand new car. 45 days later, the engine blows. You go back to the dealership, and the dealership says they can "Warranty the engine, but it will cost you $1200.00".

And from what I understand, this isn't limited to just BlackBerry devices either. If you have a SANYO phone with Sprint and the screen goes out, and you are at day 31, you better have the $55.00 to pay for a replacement, have insurance (Which you are still going to have a deductible anyways), or try and fight it out with SANYO.

Wow! That is just wrong! They shouldn't be allowed to do that. I'm with Alltel.....have been for years now......they have always warrantied free of charge any phone or battery I have returned to them....as long as it's within the first year. This is my 1st BB, hopefully their policy is the same for BBs like it was for my previous kyocera, LG, and nokia phones.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Yep. Crazy.

I don't even have any phones with Sprint, however, I would be the first one to sign my name to a petition calling Sprint out on this.

And if I were a Sprint client and I saw a class-action being formed, I would be right there as well and post on every craigslist, forum and myspace page I could find and try to get every Sprint user that Sprint actually has left, to join in on it.