So I've decided on a Blackberry (never had one before, currently using the Treo and ... General Blackberry forum

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3

8800 or the 8703

Advertisement

So I've decided on a Blackberry (never had one before, currently using the Treo and I'm tired of the stylus and Windows). My only question is should I purchase the 8703e or wait for the 8800 to be released for Sprint, which I understand will be this June.

The multimedia stuff and camera don't interest me all that much, so is there a big difference between the two phones other than form factor?

Any guidence you experienced BB users can offer will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. While you're offering your considerable guidence, I was wondering - does the 87 support different IM clients like Yahoo?

tina_twyman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30d4e1b6

Re: 8800 or the 8703

8703 does support different IM clients. I personally use yahoo, gmail, and Ramble's version of AIM (which IMO is not that great, but works).

I'm with you on the 88 BB...If the main difference is just camera then I'll keep my 87 BB. If multimedia means I can view attachments better and hear attachments that have the video/audio component, I may consider switching.

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

JiveTalk is great as an IM program (combining AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and Google). They're in beta and there's an active thread that you can check out as well.
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

well for one thing the 8800 isn't going to release for sprint in june i can tell you that much so if you really want to get a blackberry go ahead and get the 8703e. it's not a bad device if you want to change carriers i would say probably get the 8800 if you are looking for a qwerty...if not i have the pearl and its the best device ever

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Keep in mind if you buy a BB now with Sprint you must wait 2 years before you upgrade again for the 2 year price.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There's a very handy device comparison tool at blackberry.com that will allow you to compare the two devices side-by-side.

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    There's a very handy device comparison tool at blackberry.com that will allow you to compare the two devices side-by-side.
    Actually, I found it last night browsing around their website. I decided to go with the 8703. As I said, multimedia functions don't mean much to me and other than form factor, it doesn't seem as though the 8800 was vastly different. Also, the keyboard on the 8703 is comfortable to use, while the 8800 looks like a copy of the Treo.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

I really don't recommend evaluating a keyboard based on spending 10 minutes in a store with the device much less by looking at a photo of the keyboard. It's a very subjective matter. As a lot of SureType users can tell you, it's sometimes worth spending the time to get used to a new keyboard... In any case, it's your call to make.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    I really don't recommend evaluating a keyboard based on spending 10 minutes in a store with the device much less by looking at a photo of the keyboard. It's a very subjective matter. As a lot of SureType users can tell you, it's sometimes worth spending the time to get used to a new keyboard... In any case, it's your call to make.
    I could not agree more. The best fact to remember is that there is a return period if you do not like your choice.

In the case of Cingular (and I'm not promoting them) if you return it within 3 days of the purchase they refund all of your money, including the activation charge. So your only out of pocket expense is for the airtime and data you used while testing the phone.

If you keep it longer, you may still return it but they keep the $36.00 activation fee.

In the end there is absolutely no way to tell if it's going to work for you, until you take it home and use it for awhile.