What's the differences between these 2 curves? And why does the older model (8320) have ... General Blackberry forum

toomuchgame441 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30457A4C

8320 vs. 8330

Advertisement

What's the differences between these 2 curves? And why does the older model (8320) have wi-fi but the 8330 doesn't?

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    The 8320 device is a Quad-Band GSM phone with Wifi, no GPS. The 8310 is also a Quad-Band GSM phone it has no wifi, but it does have built in GPS. GSM phones work on ATT, TMobile, Centennial Wireless, Rogers and other GSM carriers. Also the 8300 is the original GSM Curve with neither wifi or GPS. It is also QUAD Band.

The 8330 is a CDMA network device that does not have wifi, but does have built in GPS. CDMA providers for example are Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, etc. The device is also EVDO capable which is CDMAs high speed data network. CDMA devices will not work on GSM networks and vice versa. That is unless it is classified as a CDMA world phone which also has GSM capabilities for traveling abroad, but will not work with North American GSM carriers as I understand it. (Anyone... please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this.)

All are excellent devices.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by pegb856; 11-05-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    As Always...

Happy Berrying!!

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    The 8330 also has more memory (about 30 megs give or take a few) if I'm not mistaken.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaliffi View Post
    The 8330 also has more memory (about 30 megs give or take a few) if I'm not mistaken.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yes that is true.
    As Always...

Happy Berrying!!

toomuchgame441 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30457A4C
    Thanks for your responses guys, anyone else feel free to add
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I'll chime in with the fact that the extra memory on my 8330 is nice, but it seems that all of RIM's CDMA berries are the last to ever see OS updates and whatnot.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

azatru no está en línea Stack level 1
    I owned a Verizon 8330, and recently got a T-Mobile 8320, and maybe it's just the OS itself, but the 8320 seems to perform quite a bit slower as well, and not just becasue GSM is waaaay slower than CDMA/EVDO. I've actually had the OS lag me out of being able to take phonecalls, because it was busy doing whatever the heck it WAS doing. I found for the 8320, it's better to just NOT have many, if any apps installed that auto-synchronize, for example, Google Sync, which I do use, and love oh so dearly.

Apps that worked well on the 8330 that DONT work at all on my 8320 include: Pandora Radio, and Slacker Radio.

Both informed me the first time I ran them that they were not compatible with my device, even though i installed them both OTA, and then even installed them using BB DM, and tried installing with BB Appworld. I am guessing that maybe they dont work because of the differences between GSM/EDGE, and CDMA/EVDO network speeds.

Even with that said.......I expected at least slacker radio to work using the wifi connection.........my guess is that maybe the differences in onboard flash memeory and radio hardware are not the only differences. Maybe there is a difference in the CPU speed??
    Last edited by azatru; 01-12-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: last minute thought, anc correction of facts

Jtetch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    I used to have an 8320 and my friend had an 8330. The biggest thing that stood out to me was my 8320 was not 3G, but his 8330 was.