This 3G thing is confusing. Is it really that great a thing and will I ... General Blackberry forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

Question 3G or????

Advertisement

This 3G thing is confusing. Is it really that great a thing and will I see a BIG difference if I stick with a 3G enabled device? Or is, as I have heard, wi-fi even faster? But wi-fi isn't an "always on" thing like 3G so...

In other words, is 3G a deal breaker when considering a new phone/device?

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    3G is not available in all locations. It's usually available in large metro areas like Atlanta. If you're not in a 3G supported area, then I woulnd't spend alot of extra money for it. If you travel alot then you will probably travel through 3G areas and you'll be able to take advantage of it with a 3G phone, otherwise you'll be on the EDGE network.

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    but when I DO get the 3G, is it worth it and really noticeable difference?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    but when I DO get the 3G, is it worth it and really noticeable difference?
    -
    If you spend a lot of time browsing the web, then yes it's worth it. That is the only major benefit. And yet I would give it a lot of thought before focusing solely on 3G. I use the web a lot via EDGE on my 8310 Curve & I manage to get by fine. Of course it would be an advantage for me to have 3G, but to select any model based on one feature alone is not a good idea. Step back, be honest & ask yourself "how bad do I really _need_ this feature? How much will I truly use it? What about the rest of the phone is important to me? Then decide.

Cheers!
    sent via BlackBerry

jimpilot no está en línea Stack level 2
    On this subject I think I heard somewhere that 3G uses a 3G radio for voice calls also and that calls are better when in 3G coverage.

Is this true?