If you have 2 bbs, one using dm 4.2 and the other 4.1 is it ... General Blackberry forum

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

2 bbs, 2 versions of DM?

Advertisement

If you have 2 bbs, one using dm 4.2 and the other 4.1 is it a problem to have both versions on your pc?

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: 2 bbs, 2 versions of DM?

Why not use the same DM? The version shouldn't make any difference at all.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I bought a 7100 to play with and I thought since it's an older phone it might not use 4.2. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberspastic
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I bought a 7100 to play with and I thought since it's an older phone it might not use 4.2. Am I wrong?
    DM 4.2 is backward compatible. I use it on my current 3 -- a 6230, a 7290, and my kid's 8700.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ will the computer recognize which phone is connected or do I have to use switch device? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberspastic
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ will the computer recognize which phone is connected or do I have to use switch device? Thanks.
    DM will recognize each phone by itself. If you are doing backups, it is irrelevent. If you are attempting to install or remove applications, it goes through a short process where it will "Retrieve Device Configuration" and that's when it identifies the device. But, no, you don't have to switch devices manually.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Desktop Manager will identify the device by its PIN. so it will automatically see them as different devices.

Depending on what you are doing, it might be easier to have two Windows logon accounts/profiles to separate the configuration data (C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ApplicationData\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync\%pinnumber%). But you can certainly to backup/restores, O/S or application loads, etc using one Windows profile (just ESC past the prompt to switch devices, if prompted).
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc
    Desktop Manager will identify the device by its PIN. so it will automatically see them as different devices.

Depending on what you are doing, it might be easier to have two Windows logon accounts/profiles to separate the configuration data (C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ApplicationData\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync\%pinnumber%). But you can certainly to backup/restores, O/S or application loads, etc using one Windows profile (just ESC past the prompt to switch devices, if prompted).
    Excellent suggestion especially if you sync with outlook. other wise the contacts get mixed and or duplicated.

I do sync with outlook. eek. I'm glad you told me about what can happen if you do it with two devices. so if I do a straight sync with both devices I'll get duplicates? and the answer is to set up a second windows profile for the second bb? how does desktop manager distinguish the two? is it a setting that automatically changes based on the windows profile in effect based on how I logged on? or do I somehow change the profile in desktop manager? with two separate logons, will I have two separate outlook calendars? thanks for the information and any additional help. I should get my second bb tonight - yipee.

is this a solution? instead of syncing the second bb with outlook, could I just run a backup restore from my main bb?

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

You could do an advanced restore and just selectively restore the address book to the second device. That would work.

I haven't tried two BBs with the same outlook address book. so i don't know. someone else might.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4